Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part XVI | Contract/FA charts, cap info in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I've always assumed the Pens were a long shot at Vesey anyway.
I DO think that the Pens moving on and conducting other business implies they got a No from Vesey's camp.
Some will say it really doesn't mean anything in regards to Vesy but i think it does.

Why?

Why does signing one mean we can't or won't sign Vesey? Why can't it just be that PIT likes Di Pauli as a prospect and thus they signed him as a FA? Signing Di Pauli has zero impact on what PIT can do with Vesey. We still have cap space and still have roster/contract space to sign Vesey should he want to come here.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Most things I saw had him as the top non-Vesey college UFA available. He and Shore seemed to be pretty highly considered.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
I'll take free forward prospects any day of the week. We may not have a game-breaking forward prospect in the system, but we do have a bunch of NHL potential guys now. Amazing how much our forward prospects went from being putrid to being decent in such a short time

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Bombulie knows his stuff, so it begs the question, if he's on the same level as Simon and Sundqvist why hasn't he been talked about at all? Or offered a contact?

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
My gut is telling me Vesey goes to Boston. Would have said Chicago, but since they seem to peddle forwards for cheaper assets every three years, no matter what their caliber, I think Vesey wants to steer clear of that. But who knows, maybe the Pens signing Dipauli is the precursor to something with Vesey

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Bombulie knows his stuff, so it begs the question, if he's on the same level as Simon and Sundqvist why hasn't he been talked about at all? Or offered a contact?

Vesey is all the rave these days

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Simon's a wildcard and Sundqvist projects to be a 4C. Vesey has top 6 potential right now. Id imagine that's why.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Cap board melt down in .....

umbYVnT.gif

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't have a gut feeling about Vesey and have no idea how anyone else does either. All of the "insiders" lists on him have varied on which teams are the front runners.

I doubt we get him, just based on me being pessimistic on high profile UFA signings, but it has nothing to do with my gut haha.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Anything anyone knows is solely based on assumption and speculation. We hear that he wants to stay near home so we assume Boston. We hear that he family is important so we assume Toronto. We hear that he wants to have the best chance at immediate impact and immediate success so we assume Chicago or maybe Pittsburgh.

They've certainly done a solid job of keeping things close to the vest. Some people assume its because he likes having the attention but I don't know, I hope that its really just that the kid wants to try to determine the best overall situation and is putting in the effort to come to that decision.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Excellent pickup if true. I've watched this kid play a lot of hockey(ND is my alma mater so I'm probably a little biased) and, although he's not a Vesey level prospect, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him top out as a very good 3rd liner in the NHL. Smart player, good at both ends of the ice and I think he has more offensive potential than he's given credit for.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am kind of torn regarding the kid.

Yes, I want them to pursue him, but will not be torn up if he goes elsewhere. The Pens are going to have some serious bank coming off the books next year. Between Scuderi's retention, Dupuis, Kunitz and perhaps Fleury they will go way north of $10 million. Yes, some of that money will have to be spent on some raises, but still. If Vesey is the way that they go they may close off looking at as many more established FA's next year. And these signings fail more often than succeed.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yes, I want them to pursue him, but will not be torn up if he goes elsewhere. The Pens are going to have some serious bank coming off the books next year. Between Scuderi's retention, Dupuis, Kunitz and perhaps Fleury they will go way north of $10 million. Yes, some of that money will have to be spent on some raises, but still. If Vesey is the way that they go they may close off looking at as many more established FA's next year. And these signings fail more often than succeed.

There aren't really more established FA's worth going after to be honest. I definitely want him because the more top 6/9 prospects you have the better success rate, but it's certainly nothing to lose sleep over.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

What "many more established FA's next year"? Have you looked at next summers FA list? It's awful. And while Kunitz, MAF, Scuderi's retention is north of 10m, there's also some key players to resign in Dumoulin, Bonino and Murray who will account for most of that. What's left won't be enough for the top FAs and I'm not sure how interested we'd be in most of the other options.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Let's say we get Vesey just for kicks. How would you construct the lines? I think I'd try out Vesey with Geno first and go something like:

Sheary/Wilson/Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Vesey-Malkin-Rust
HBK
Kuhn-Cullen-Fehr

That leaves 2 of Sheary, Wilson, Kunitz out of every day lineup assuming Vesey sticks. We know they aren't sitting Kunitz so what do we do with Sheary and Wilson? Depth is great, but I think I'd want Wilson getting playing time since he's had injuries in back to back seasons. I believe he can be sent down to AHL (even though he will make his full NHL salary).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What "many more established FA's next year"? Have you looked at next summers FA list? It's awful. And while Kunitz, MAF, Scuderi's retention is north of 10m, there's also some key players to resign in Dumoulin, Bonino and Murray who will account for most of that. What's left won't be enough for the top FAs and I'm not sure how interested we'd be in most of the other options.

I said to pursue him.

That said, given the track record on these signings over the years (Schultz recently anyone?) I can not imagine that there are not a number of equally good gambles to be found if he votes us off the island. Which is the likely thing that happens.

I will not lose sleep over it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad