Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
A wise man once said: "if one goes soft, he should quit hockey"

strome.jpg

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I feel like 18 year old athletes are pretty durable though in terms of an ability to recuperate.

In any case, they'll have access to his medicals and can make a call.
Back issues are chronic, and a huge red flag in an 18yo power forward. If he was to slip and we could somehow grab him later on I’d be all for it, but not at 2.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Back issues are chronic, and a huge red flag in an 18yo power forward. If he was to slip and we could somehow grab him later on I’d be all for it, but not at 2.
I don't know didley squat about this player but I agree that back issues as a teen can be chronic - and drafting a guy experiencing issues can be risky. I can speak of that personally and I'm sure there are many others.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I would say no. He probably could though. Belarus -> USHL - NCAA - NHL in consecutive seasons would be a lot for anyone.

Yup. Let the kid for once stay an extra year in a league so he gets even more accustomed to it. Probably why I'm higher on him than others. The fact that he's jumped 3 levels in 3 years and more than held his own? It's pretty remarkable and speaks to his talent. Now CAN he play in the NHL? Absolutely. He's even better than Korchinski was coming out. But I wouldn't want him to till either later in the year when Michigan State gets eliminated early or next year.

Reactions: HawksDub89

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Another option for Levshunov is you sign him, bring him to training camp and then assign to a CHL team. The ban for players from his country ends next year.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
The Big Ten is arguably the best amateur league in the world right now, no real reason to pull Levshunov out of college yet unless you want him in the AHL. None of the teams that have a realistic chance at picking him should have him in the NHL next year imo.

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
He is not even the best defender in the class. If we don't draft Demidov I'm going to end up hospitalized 😂

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Yup. Let the kid for once stay an extra year in a league so he gets even more accustomed to it. Probably why I'm higher on him than others. The fact that he's jumped 3 levels in 3 years and more than held his own? It's pretty remarkable and speaks to his talent. Now CAN he play in the NHL? Absolutely. He's even better than Korchinski was coming out. But I wouldn't want him to till either later in the year when Michigan State gets eliminated early or next year.

If they take Levshunov the ideal scenario is heading back to MSU, and then joining Rockford for a long Calder Cup run.

They need to be extremely patient with this kid if they take him. I’d even consider letting him start 2025-2026 in Rockford. Let him play all situations minutes and not be in over his head.

Another option for Levshunov is you sign him, bring him to training camp and then assign to a CHL team. The ban for players from his country ends next year.

Why? Lol

Send him to an easier league to play against teenagers doesn’t make sense to me.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If they take Levshunov the ideal scenario is heading back to MSU, and then joining Rockford for a long Calder Cup run.

They need to be extremely patient with this kid if they take him. I’d even consider letting him start 2025-2026 in Rockford. Let him play all situations minutes and not be in over his head.

Why? Lol

Send him to an easier league to play against teenagers doesn’t make sense to me.
Yeah, seriously. Why would you pull him out of the NCAA to play in the CHL? What the f***?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
...you're aware Levshunov is already playing in North America, right?

If you meant Demidov, I actually think that's a good idea. He'd have to go through the CHL import draft first, but Chicago could go to their preferred CHL org and tell them to draft Demidov's rights and that he's willing to come over. His Russian club would have to be willing to loan him though.

Much better than him rotting in the MHL for another season.

Reactions: HawksDub89

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
the odds are kind of against them if theyre trying to hit on best one out of 5-10 equalish guys...Chelios was on 670 and only brought up Lindstrom and Levshunov as the main candidates at two which was interesting...getting immediate help on the nhl roster could be an interesting development because demidov is in russia until he isnt, they could put lindstrom or levshunov on the roster immediately, not that this should be a priority but the "speed up the process" talk cant be ignored when weighing what they might do
Did this team not learn their lesson from the diarrhea disaster that was the Kirby Dach pick?

Passing up on a highly skilled guy with a higher ceiling in order to take an often injured player with a lower ceiling but can play next season.

Reactions: Wally1112pac

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
But Kirby is a great example of what scares me about Lindstrom. Dach’s looked very good for Montreal, but has basically missed his entire career to this point.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The Big Ten is arguably the best amateur league in the world right now, no real reason to pull Levshunov out of college yet unless you want him in the AHL. None of the teams that have a realistic chance at picking him should have him in the NHL next year imo.

Why? Lol

Yeah, seriously. Why would you pull him out of the NCAA to play in the CHL? What the f***?

...you're aware Levshunov is already playing in North America, right?
I’m not opposed to Levshunov returning by any means. I actually support it. The player himself may be eager to turn professional and sign a contract. Just saying there is an option for him to get a sign, get a look and determine that he needs a bit more seasoning before playing full time in the AHL and being effectively amateur. He also initially wanted to play in the CHL before the ban on players from his country. No clue how much he enjoys attending college courses and the like right now. Maybe he decides MSU is right for him for another year.

By the way, the contract would still slide if he played next year in the AHL.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I just want the team turning the corner to happen sooner than later and missing out on top picks would be disasterous.

f***, if only they didn't beat the Sharks (especially the 4-0 game) and they likely would be able to draft Celebrini :shakehead.

The fact that there's no clear consensus #2 overall is what makes me worry. Maybe "their guy" could be looked at as a reach at 2nd overall.

Could they trade back, accrue more picks and still get their guy?

Will they pass up on an electric talent like Demidov?

Find out on next week's episode of DragonBall Z!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Has that ever happened before?
Yeah, this happens. Usually a player that will leave college after a year because they want to go pro, play a bit in the AHL and then they need more time.

Jets 1st round pick, played a year of NCAA with Minnesota, signed a pro deal, played in the AHL, assigned to World Juniors and afterwards was sent to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL.

NHL-CHL has a transfer agreement which allows players of junior age to move between them. NCAA is you either sign and you're a pro with no more NCAA eligibility or you don't and you can't participate in training camp, get called up to the NHL, etc. until you sign.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Yeah, this happens. Usually a player that will leave college after a year because they want to go pro, play a bit in the AHL and then they need more time.

Jets 1st round pick, played a year of NCAA with Minnesota, signed a pro deal, played in the AHL, assigned to World Juniors and afterwards was sent to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL.

NHL-CHL has a transfer agreement which allows players of junior age to move between them. NCAA is you either sign and you're a pro with no more NCAA eligibility or you don't and you can't participate in training camp, get called up to the NHL, etc. until you sign.
Yes, but Lucius was drafted by the Winterhawks, so he was a Portland property and eligible to be assigned there. Levshunov has never been drafted by a CHL team, I don't believe there is a mechanism for an NHL team to assign a player to a CHL team that doesn't hold his rights.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Picks probably going to be Zeev Buium, Hawks got lots of watch time with him since he played with Aidan Thompson, no injury concerns Im aware of, no Russian factor, no effort issue. As much as I would like Demidov, I feel like they'll go with Buium who isn't far off in the ranking, and doesn't have any future worry.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
#2 Cayden Lindstrom= size+grit+skill + 200ft game= 2C solution

#20 Beckett Sennicke projected RW ...tremendous skater with tons of skill and good size once he fills out...But will ge even last to #20 after being such a riser on many boards? May havecto package a deal to movebup to get him..

Plan B...If we do not get Sennicke:

Size+grit with sonecskil= Yegor Surin RW ..."heat seeking missile" ...hardest hitterin the draft..Will strike frat into dmen

#34...Can again gi forward depending on who remains on the board..but more likely start a 2nd run on dmen:

Right shot dmen:

Henry Mews
Harrison Brunicke
Charlie Erick
Colton Roberts

L-shot dmen:

Alfons Freij (but plays RD for Swedish Jr. Team...though LD on Sweden u18s).

Stian Solberg

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yes, but Lucius was drafted by the Winterhawks, so he was a Portland property and eligible to be assigned there. Levshunov has never been drafted by a CHL team, I don't believe there is a mechanism for an NHL team to assign a player to a CHL team that doesn't hold his rights.
His nationality was banned from the CHL draft, so he hasn't had an opportunity to be drafted. They are eligible to be drafted again, so I'm sure there is some mechanism, including being a CHL Free Agent. The CHL Import Draft is on July 3rd, so even if they don't think he's particularly likely to come, someone would probably throw a dart throw on him (since that is after the Draft, they may have a better sense of his objectives by then, obviously if it's already decided he is returning to MSU, they'd not be as interested since he will be considered Age 20 by 2025-26 season). Obviously any team would love to have him if it's an option since they get a few import player slots and he'd be better than whomever else they could have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad