Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part XVI | Contract/FA charts, cap info in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Nice get.
Kid was the top of the class of NCAA FA's outside of Vesey.

Small(5'11") but plays with some pace. C/LW.
Decent skill and responsible.

Get him in to WBS and see what he can do.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
1082.gif

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Some info:

Caps draft pick.
Theres a log jam @ C/LW there so they let him walk.

Di Pauli’s availability as a free agent has flown under the radar because of Vesey being on the market, but consecutive breakout years at Notre Dame should have a few teams talking to Di Pauli over the coming week. Di Pauli’s 14 goals and 32 points this past season were impressive, as was his shot total jumping by 45 from the 2014-15 campaign.

Drafted by the Capitals in the fourth round, 100th overall, in 2012, Di Pauli was one of the top 10 prospects in Washington’s system according to a panel of scouts surveyed for THN’s Future Watch 2016. There’s high hopes for his future, and he’s almost assured a spot in the AHL — and maybe even an NHL audition — come next season.

Coincidentally, Di Pauli shares an agent with Vesey, and Peter Fish has said much of the same about Di Pauli that he has said of Vesey. Fish told the Washington Post’s Isabelle Khurshudyan that Di Pauli wants to see what’s out there and where the best fit might be. On a deep Washington club, he might have had trouble cracking the lineup in the next few seasons.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/five-intriguing-college-free-agents-not-named-jimmy-vesey/

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/thomas_di-pauli/

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It doesn't but i assume the Pens are out.
Pens were at 45 contracts before DiPauli.

I don't think I'd go that far based on this signing (or even the Cullen signing). PIT still has a role/need for Vesey and can afford him. I also don't think that we would have signed this kid in reaction to what Vesey did or didn't do.

That said, I still don't think we'll get Vesey. I hope that we do, but things just don't seem to break that way for us when it comes to young kids. Perhaps if our young guys excel and more of our prospects are used this year in important roles that might change.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I've always assumed the Pens were a long shot at Vesey anyway.
I DO think that the Pens moving on and conducting other business implies they got a No from Vesey's camp.
Some will say it really doesn't mean anything in regards to Vesy but i think it does.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hopefully they do end up signing him, because hey, free prospect.

Hopefully it works out better than when we "stole" Chris Bourque from the Caps.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
I've always assumed the Pens were a long shot at Vesey anyway.
I DO think that the Pens moving on and conducting other business implies they got a No from Vesey's camp.
Some will say it really doesn't mean anything in regards to Vesy but i think it does.

I wouldn't say they got a no, Rutherford might just be interested in more than one college player lol.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Was listening to Mirtle on TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/mirtle-leafs-an-enticing-option-for-vesey-1.548956)

One of the interesting things he brought up was who they'll have to expose to waivers. They currently have 24 players signed (14F, 9D, 1G) and only two if them do not require waivers (Nylander/Matthews). Add Marner to that group if he makes the team.

Some of the interesting names who may hit waivers from Toronto:

Leivo (LW)
Carrick (RD)
Corrado (RD)

I'd have interest in all 3 of those - especially Corrado and Leivo. Both have favorible cap hits (612k and 600k). Corrado and Carrick both are RHD who can move the puck. No real high expectations for either, but either would give us more options if we wanted to move Pouliot. Leivo has the tools to be a goal scoring winger. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but given our lack of LW options, if he hit waivers I'd absolutely put in a claim. Worse case it doesn't pan out and you send him to the minors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark