Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part XVI | Contract/FA charts, cap info in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Wilson should not be sitting over Kuhnhackl. I think it's between Sheary ' s secondary offense and a coach's preference to have a PK guy on the 4th line.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I know they aren't necessarily related but I do think that this signing is an iindication that we won'tbe getting Vesey. I'm betting they moved on with this after the interview . not saying for sure but it'sjust my guess .

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
So...even if we don't sign Vesey, that's a pretty full line-up.

Barring injury, one of Wilson or Sheary's going to be in the press box/WBS.

Yup. I make Kuhn as our 5th best PK forward, maybe in a position to be better than Fehr this year. MS isn't sitting his 5th PK forward for the differential offense between Wilson/Sheary and Kuhn, especially considering Kuhn has shown really promising playmaking ability.

Sheary will probably be the #13 until Wilson's first injury. So yeah, not for long.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I know they aren't necessarily related but I do think that this signing is an iindication that we won'tbe getting Vesey. I'm betting they moved on with this after the interview . not saying for sure but it'sjust my guess .

Rutherford went out of his way to mention the Pens are still in on Vesey. That said when have we ever really gotten one of these premium college FAs? I'm not exactly holding my breath.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Vesey for Kunitz please. Dunno why he would want the Hawks? they can't pay their players if they earn the big money ala Panarin, we can. Also Malkin/Crosby is better then Toews.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Vesey was a long shot anyway.
There are some decent NCAA guys available still in Di Pauli and Shore that we can see if they have anything in the pros(WBS).
I wouldn't mind one or both getting AHL deals much like Sheary got out of College.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Vesey was a long shot anyway.
There are some decent NCAA guys available still in Di Pauli and Shore that we can see if they have anything in the pros(WBS).
I wouldn't mind one or both getting AHL deals much like Sheary got out of College.

Vesey is still exactly the same long shot as he was yesterday.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think we have a decent shot. 1/5 or 6 is hardly a long shot. Then factor in his second contract after playing with the two best centers available to him (Tavares aside) of those teams and the opportunity on LW.

Id say its more like 1/3.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So...even if we don't sign Vesey, that's a pretty full line-up.

Barring injury, one of Wilson or Sheary's going to be in the press box/WBS.

Wilson, Sundqvist, Pouliot and Murray are the only waiver eligible players we currently have. Seeing how I suspect that Cullen's signing means Sundqvist is in the minors (which I think is a good thing for his offensive game), that doesn't leave many options if we do get Vesey.

XXXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Rust
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Kuhnhackl - Cullen - Fehr
Sheary - Wilson

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Daley
Cole - Schultz
Pouliot

MAF/MM
Roster Size: 22
Cap: 71.85m
Cap Space: 1.142m

We can easily sign Vesey. For some reason I thought we'd have to send someone down, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Some moves would have to be done to max out the LTIR space, but we have the space to make things work.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
If TIOPS had any sort of insider info, Vesey's meeting and Cullens long talks with the Penguins would have been easy stuff to pull. no sources confirmed. I got way more than that on the golf course.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Wilson, Sundqvist, Pouliot and Murray are the only waiver eligible players we currently have. Seeing how I suspect that Cullen's signing means Sundqvist is in the minors (which I think is a good thing for his offensive game), that doesn't leave many options if we do get Vesey.

Kunitz - Malkin - Rust
Sheary - Wilson

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Daley
Cole - Schultz
Pouliot

MAF/MM

We can easily sign Vesey. For some reason I thought we'd have to send someone down, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Some moves would have to be done to max out the LTIR space, but we have the space to make things work.

Great lineup regardless of vesey. Set for this season.
Upcoming seasons will be interesting though with so many young guys in the mix now. Still don't know how good Sheary, Rust, Wilson, and Kuhn can be...and then another wave of Guentzel, Sprong, Simon, and Sunny. 8 players right there..won't be room for all.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Great lineup regardless of vesey. Set for this season.
Upcoming seasons will be interesting though with so many young guys in the mix now. Still don't know how good Sheary, Rust, Wilson, and Kuhn can be...and then another wave of Guentzel, Sprong, Simon, and Sunny. 8 players right there..won't be room for all.

You can always make room for good players. Besides, it's not like A) there will not be injuries and B) roster changes made between now and when some of those players are actually ready. I mean Sprong won't even play here this season. Guentzel and Simon might get a cup of coffee. And there's no guarantee that either will be anywhere close to ready for full time duty next season. Sundqvist likely could play here, but our center depth is pretty deep, which means he'll spend most of his time in the minors. However he's probably a lock for our #4C next season when A) Cullen retires and B) when he would have to clear waivers.

My only hope for this upcoming season (player development wise) is that we see Sheary, Rust, Wilson and Kuhnhackl take another step forward, while getting a good showing from Simon and Guentzel. Ideally all of them, but I'd like to see at least one of them really take a leap forward, with at least one or two more showing enough promise that there's no question about allowing Kunitz to walk next summer.

Fortunately with the emergence of HBK, we have a lot of different options lineup wise we can use to arrange the lines as best as possible depending on who's playing/healthy and who's clicking.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah I just meant there's going to be some good competition the next few seasons after this one, with so many capable young players finally. Its nice to see. Rather than having to sign washed up vets to fill out the roster each year.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Kunitz - Malkin - Rust
Sheary - Wilson

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Daley
Cole - Schultz
Pouliot

MAF/MM

Congrats on the signing, this is accurate. If you option Sundqvist you would have 1.142 million. However, if Vasey isn't signed you keep Sundqvist, and that concludes roster moves. Pit can simply place Dupuis on LTIR the last day of camp and you'll be good to go. You'll lose out on 400k but that's not a big deal at all, it was good cap navigation.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Congrats on the signing, this is accurate. If you option Sundqvist you would have 1.142 million. However, if Vasey isn't signed you keep Sundqvist, and that concludes roster moves. Pit can simply place Dupuis on LTIR the last day of camp and you'll be good to go. You'll lose out on 400k but that's not a big deal at all, it was good cap navigation.

Here's the thing though... why would you keep Sundqvist up and then have 2 of Sundqvist, Sheary or Wilson as the 13th and 14th forwards? I dislike the idea of one of those guys sitting on a regular basis. Having two of them sit seems counter productive to their development - especially Sundqvist who's a center and can really stand to work on his offensive game and his faceoffs.

As for the LTIR space, there's ways to lose a lot less than that. Without exposing anyone to waivers and without signing anyone new, I can get them to within 226k of the cap. Then when you call up the people you want, they'd have somewhere between 900k and 200k of cap space depending on who they used as the 14F and 7th D.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
As for the LTIR space, there's ways to lose a lot less than that. Without exposing anyone to waivers and without signing anyone new, I can get them to within 226k of the cap. Then when you call up the people you want, they'd have somewhere between 900k and 200k of cap space depending on who they used as the 14F and 7th D.
go on...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
With Cullen back now, I wonder what the lines should look like. Kuhn-Cullen-Fehr looked pretty good late in the playoffs but that Kuhn-Cullen-Rust line was awesome. I would be interested to see something like:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Wilson-Malkin-Fehr
HBK
Kuhn-Cullen-Rust

I left Kunitz off intentionally haha, but you can sub him in for Sheary. I like Rust a lot, but ideally he's a bottom 6 energy guy and I still think Fehr has the hockey sense and finishing ability to move up the lineup. I'm hoping Wilson can be a prime Kunitz light for Geno.

I guess the point is there are a lot of options. Go get Vesey and we are looking really interesting.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Rust
Guentzel - Cullen - Fehr
Kuhnhackl

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Daley
Cole - Schultz
Pouliot - Prow

MAF/Maguire

That's 72.77m - or 226k to the cap. Then you put Dupuis onto LTIR, where you lose that 226k. Then you send Prow, Guentzel, Maguire and possibly Pouliot back to the AHL. That's 2.16m with DP up and 3.03m if you send him down. Recall MM, Wilson and Warsofsky and with a 22 man roster you have 1.2m in cap space, so depending on who you want as the 14F... you have some wiggle room.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Rust
Guentzel - Cullen - Fehr
Kuhnhackl

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Daley
Cole - Schultz
Pouliot - Prow

MAF/Maguire

That's 72.77m - or 226k to the cap. Then you put Dupuis onto LTIR, where you lose that 226k. Then you send Prow, Guentzel, Maguire and possibly Pouliot back to the AHL. That's 2.16m with DP up and 3.03m if you send him down. Recall MM, Wilson and Warsofsky and with a 22 man roster you have 1.2m in cap space, so depending on who you want as the 14F... you have some wiggle room.

Jerry Maguire? :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad