League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Free Agency Fallout (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Yeah, right now Montreal is looking like they might have a nice relaxing stroll to the ECF

Right now, yes.

Eventually the team that will walk the Atlantic division to the ECF is yet again Ligthning.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Frank Corrado called out Mike Babcock today via the media about how he's frustrated with not playing.

The only reason I find this interesting is because I recently started listening to Spittin Chiclets, a podcast by barstool sports that features Ryan Whitney and Rear Admiral. They had Mike Commodore on as their recent guest and had a great conversation with him about Babcock and he had very similar things to say like Corrado did. Mike called Babcock an ******* and said if you aren't one of his guys, you aren't going to play or get the practice reps that you deserve.

If you're into sports talk and/or podcasts I definitely recommend Spittin Chiclets. It's NSFW (It's a Barstool Sports podcast) unless you have headphones in.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Holy lundvqist just got lit up by Cody eakin. 5 and a game

I don't what else he was supposed to do there, he got the puck and Lundqvist froze.

I'm tired of the new NHL and all the free plays players expect to get. Oh Ovechkin and Wilson are about to destroy you? Turn your back they can't hit you! Just watch a game and look at how many times those 2 have to do a fly by instead of making a play because of this crap.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't what else he was supposed to do there, he got the puck and Lundqvist froze.

I'm tired of the new NHL and all the free plays players expect to get. Oh Ovechkin and Wilson are about to destroy you? Turn your back they can't hit you! Just watch a game and look at how many times those 2 have to do a fly by instead of making a play because of this crap.

He could have just stopped.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

A ridiculous post from start to finish.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
A ridiculous post from start to finish.

Idk I've noticed quite a few times that players simply expose their backs when a player is coming down them and just beg to be boarded. I don't agree with this argument with what Eakin did here but yes I've noticed a lot lately of players spinning away knowing if they're touched it's a penalty

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Was pretty dirty, like if it happen to Holtby I'd be outraged. I would also like to think if it happened to Holtby the play wouldn't have continued on like that. Somebody would have been on top of Eakin laying a beatdown ASAP. Rangers didn't react.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
From the one angle it looked like Eakin was screened from seeing the goalie by Vessey when he went in on the forecheck around the net. He was flying in there and by the time he saw Hank he didn't know what to do and jumped to try and avoid him because Hank didn't move at all. Just a theory I have.

Also found it weird that no one attacked him at all. The guy just lit up your best player he better be on the ground getting his face smashed in

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Frank Corrado called out Mike Babcock today via the media about how he's frustrated with not playing.

The only reason I find this interesting is because I recently started listening to Spittin Chiclets, a podcast by barstool sports that features Ryan Whitney and Rear Admiral. They had Mike Commodore on as their recent guest and had a great conversation with him about Babcock and he had very similar things to say like Corrado did. Mike called Babcock an ******* and said if you aren't one of his guys, you aren't going to play or get the practice reps that you deserve.

If you're into sports talk and/or podcasts I definitely recommend Spittin Chiclets. It's NSFW (It's a Barstool Sports podcast) unless you have headphones in.

Yeah Babcock is overrated garbage who pretty much owes his career to Nicklas Lidstrom and confirmation bias. Plays absolutely ridiculous favorites (the comical extention of Dan Cleary career 3 years past him being an NHLer, Abdelkader, Ericsson) and ran Filpulla and Hudler out of town

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't know if I'd go nearly as far as Revelation, but I do agree that this is far from the first time we've heard about players having a rocky relationship with Babcock.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I have no real insight into the situation but it seems like Babcock is a very good tactician but doesn't know how to deal with players very well. I feel like Barry Trotz is the polar opposite sometimes :laugh:

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Yeah Babcock is overrated garbage who pretty much owes his career to Nicklas Lidstrom and confirmation bias. Plays absolutely ridiculous favorites (the comical extention of Dan Cleary career 3 years past him being an NHLer, Abdelkader, Ericsson) and ran Filpulla and Hudler out of town
Glad to see Anderson went back to playing his style as opposed to Babcock's preferences.

So Eakin gets 4 games when Lundquivst was trying to draw contact and sells the hit hard and Hoffman gets 2 games for cross checking an unsuspecting player in the back of the head. Good job DoPS. Still an absolute joke.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
carey price yanked after giving up 4 goals. maybe he gets start tomorrow too even though montoya was named starter

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I haven't read much of this thread in a while...... are people still trying to claim Tortorella is a **** coach, and is a black eye to the sport (like post USA's WC meltdown?).

Is that still a thing?

Or does his SC Ring carry some luster again? I'm just trying to take the temperature here.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Torts still sucks. His SC ring is from the old NHL, pre-2004 lockout. His strategies are not going to win a Stanley Cup in the modern NHL, and definitely aren't going to do anything in terms of international hockey. He was a terrible pick for Team USA.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I don't know if I'd go nearly as far as Revelation, but I do agree that this is far from the first time we've heard about players having a rocky relationship with Babcock.

He's been successful with the Wings when they had a top 5 defenseman in NHL history and two best 2-way forwards in the league in addition to guys like Kronwall and Franzen beasting out. And with Canada whose B team is on par with the teams they play in international tournaments. Once those declined in his last 5 years with the Wings he had as much success as the Caps had. He plays favorites more than any other coach out there, in Detroit it was with guys like Cleary and Abdelkader (while skilled players like Hudler and Filpulla couldn't get out fast enough), in Toronto with guys like Hyman or Hunwick (I remember there was a stat where Matthews and Nylander were PPG through ~20 games while Hyman, who was the 3rd player on their line, had 1 assist). William Nylander was demoted before he was.

He's not some incompetent coach like Oates (though he tried to tweak Anderson the way Oates tried to tweak Holtby, lol) but he's headstrong, plays favorites, and far from a tactical genius and needs amazing players. He's the luckiest coach in history as far as his Cinderella run with Anaheim on Giguere's back leading to him getting on the Red Wings at the right time. And he has 3 more seasons before anyone catches on because he sold the Leafs tank and rebuild so well with his "there will be pain" monologue.

The Brian Burke of coaches IMO. Fitting for Toronto.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Torts still sucks. His SC ring is from the old NHL, pre-2004 lockout. His strategies are not going to win a Stanley Cup in the modern NHL, and definitely aren't going to do anything in terms of international hockey. He was a terrible pick for Team USA.

So the Jackets, and their leading leading goal differential/game are a mirage? Hope so. If not, Metro is as deadly a 4 team tourney as ever.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not a total mirage, but also not as good as they look right now. Bobrovsky is playing out of his mind so far this season, and when combined with their higher than expected shooting%, the Jackets are riding a 103.76 PDO as a result. Their underlying numbers tell of an above average team, but not a President's Trophy hunter.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Don't like the schedule made by NHL (once again)

After the games on tuesday, Washington will be the team with the fewest games in the NHL. 30 games. In fact CBJ will have too 30 games.

So it means, more games to play in the second part of the year, in approach of the postseason, ...

Right now, we have NYR and CHI with the most games in the NHL so far, surprise surprise.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Don't like the schedule made by NHL (once again)

After the games on tuesday, Washington will be the team with the fewest games in the NHL. 30 games. In fact CBJ will have too 30 games.

So it means, more games to play in the second part of the year, in approach of the postseason, ...

Right now, we have NYR and CHI with the most games in the NHL so far, surprise surprise.
I'm really curious about this too. NHL is moaning about the mandatory week off for each team playing havoc on the schedule. I have a real hard time having sympathy when you're seeing multiple teams that go from 3 games in 4 nights and then have off 3+ days. I get that a lot of arenas aren't hockey centric but is it really that bad?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Venue-centric restrictions always factor into scheduling. The Rangers playing at MSG, with its packed schedule in the late winter/spring months, certainly pushes the Rangers into having more early games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad