League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Free Agency Fallout (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Columbus is much better than expected, but probably not nearly as good as their record indicates. Honestly I'd consider them similar to the Capitals of last year.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Not sure the Capitals could make a trade work, but Colorado is a desperate, poorly managed team right now and someone could get a steal.

Maybe they're still interested in Orpik? Orpik+ for Duchene? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Not sure the Capitals could make a trade work, but Colorado is a desperate, poorly managed team right now and someone could get a steal.

Maybe they're still interested in Orpik? Orpik+ for Duchene?

Yes, I'm sure they're dying to trade Duchene for a package centered around Brooks Orpik because if there's anything they need it's defensive defensemen with a high cap hit on the wrong side of 35. I can see it going down right after they trade MacKinnon for Chimera & a 3rd to clear cap space and add speed and veteran leadership.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wonder if they'd do something around Beauchemin and Orpik. Saves $1M against the cap and one year of term. After being traded, Beauchemin's NMC would be voided, meaning Washington wouldn't be obligated to protect him. Similarly, moving that NMC means Colorado frees up a protection slot of their own, giving them incentive to move Beauchemin. This is obviously contingent on Beauchemin waiving that NMC.

Granted, Orpik has definitely outplayed Beauchemin so far this season, albeit in a much more sheltered role. I'm already on record for saying the 3rd pairing should be testing in a higher role. If Orpik regresses in that role, then perhaps the trade makes more sense. Although that timing is far less convenient with the post-freeze suggestion by Dreger.

The other counterpoint is that Colorado may well have different offers for Beauchemin. Namely ones that involve more youth/picks/prospects.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yes, I'm sure they're dying to trade Duchene for a package centered around Brooks Orpik because if there's anything they need it's defensive defensemen with a high cap hit on the wrong side of 35. I can see it going down right after they trade MacKinnon for Chimera & a 3rd to clear cap space and add speed and veteran leadership.

I edited in the sarcasm emote after. Still, Colorado was the other suitor for Orpik during 2014 free agency so you never know!

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Columbus is much better than expected, but probably not nearly as good as their record indicates. Honestly I'd consider them similar to the Capitals of last year.

if that's the case then they are the best team in the league this year.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
if that's the case then they are the best team in the league this year.

I still have trouble putting them ahead of Pittsburgh even after the curb-stomping last night.

It is becoming apparent how important Kris Letang is for the Penguins and it makes me even more upset that Trotz willingly put in Mike Weber for Game 4 when Letang was out, pretty much negating the advantage given to the Capitals with Letang's suspension.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I still have trouble putting them ahead of Pittsburgh even after the curb-stomping last night.

It is becoming apparent how important Kris Letang is for the Penguins and it makes me even more upset that Trotz willingly put in Mike Weber for Game 4 when Letang was out, pretty much negating the advantage given to the Capitals with Letang's suspension.

Trots needs to go. I was so happy when they hired him and Korn. I thought wow, one of the best coaches, best goalie coach (The goalie whisperer they called him) Yea my a**. Our experienced coach got schooled by a rookie coach last year. Holtby got outplayed by a guy who never even played in the playoffs before. did not steal a single game of us and looked average through the entire playoffs. Maybe he was still enjoying the high of tying the goalie wins record. Like who gives a damn about that. Im really happy they are not playing him as much this year as they did last year. He is not top 5 goalie and should not be given that much playing time.

Point I'm trying to make is all this experience and wisdom means absolutely nothing. Look at the Pens last year. The most important thing is for everyone to play to their strengths. I don't think sitting our best player on the bench more than any other year is exactly playing to your strengths. I mean its nice to hear to hear that Ovi is going to be well rested for the World Championship, i guess there is a silver lining in that.

Ps, anyone know if Ovi was measured for team Russia jersey yet? Someone said int he past that they do it around this time usually.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

IIRC, the whole team came out flat for that game, THAT was the damning thing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
IIRC, the whole team came out flat for that game, THAT was the damning thing.

It sure as hell wasn't Mike Weber negating Letang's absence. They came out poorly as a team when they should have come out like gangbusters. Leadership failure at all levels.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It was more the statement Trotz made by inserting a "safe" option into the lineup. It screamed of his risk-averse style, which of course backfired horribly when he served up the OT GWG to Hornqvist on a silver platter.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It screamed "the coaches have no faith in the other options".

No, it screamed of Trotz being Trotz. Those of us who him before he joined the caps remember when he tried to ride Hal Gill in Suter's final year.

He has a history of (mod) for Erskine like bottom pairing defensemen.

Last edited by a moderator:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its pretty astonishing to see the Capitals only 6 points out of the league lead... They have been so bad.

they are winning their games in hand away from 2nd in the conference. Yup. bad. so bad.

meanwhile, Bruce Boudreau. Another 10 game winning streak. Another team totally turned around.

36kap36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio
they are winning their games in hand away from 2nd in the conference. Yup. bad. so bad.

meanwhile, Bruce Boudreau. Another 10 game winning streak. Another team totally turned around.

I'm weirdly happy for BB on this one.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yes he was being a reasonable seasoned head coach....the horror.

And reasonably lost in 6 games in the 2nd round to a rookie coach while fielding the best team in the league. Just like having Nashville fall apart in the playoffs twice when they were icing Finals caliber teams.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

He learned to coach in the playoffs instead of standing around blushing with a deer in the headlights look? Sweet.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And reasonably lost in 6 games in the 2nd round to a rookie coach while fielding the best team in the league. Just like having Nashville fall apart in the playoffs twice when they were icing Finals caliber teams.

Mike Sullivan was not a rookie coach. He coached the Bruins for two years.
Yes, they lost in the 2nd round with the best record in the league to the 2nd best record in the east and he best record in the league for the second half of the season.

Lets make it sound like they lost to some 5 seed with the 8th best record in the league coached by an actual rookie.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Mike Sullivan was not a rookie coach. He coached the Bruins for two years.
Yes, they lost in the 2nd round with the best record in the league to the 2nd best record in the east and he best record in the league for the second half of the season.

Lets make it sound like they lost to some 5 seed with the 8th best record in the league coached by an actual rookie.

So your point is they lost to an inferior team with an unestablished, though non-rookie head coach with far less experience than Trotz?

Wow my bad I was totally wrong, Trotz should get a pass for getting outcoached yet again and doing his best postseason BB impression.

If they flame out in the 2nd round again this year I'll be sure to hit you up for all the asterisks as to why it's not as bad as it may sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->