League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Free Agency Fallout (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
HF hype is getting ridiculous on the main boards.

That being said he's still better than Auston Matthews despite being nearly full year younger. What a huge lottery win that was for the Jets.

Just the other day, some Laine/Jets fanboy claimed that Laine is as good as prime Ovi. It's a trend with Jets players, this summer people were talking about Scheifele as being better than Toews. :laugh:

I don't agree with you on Matthews, I say he still turns out to be a better/more complete player than Laine. I'd kill to have Matthews as our top C for the next 10 years, the guy has everything you want in a hockey player.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
I'd also take Matthews over Laine tbh.

Flyers getting schooled by the Oilers. Nice.

PS: As I said this the Flyers score 3 goals in 2 minutes, LOL. :laugh:

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Schiefele is better than Toews at the current stages of their respective careers. Even more so if you factor in contracts, as Toews might have the worst contract in the entire NHL.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
It's really cool to see defenders contributing offensively. Haven't seen that with the Caps this year.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
What Price did was aggravated assault.

Amazing how hockey fans can be so desensitized after years of inaction by the NHL to believe this is okay.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Schiefele is better than Toews at the current stages of their respective careers. Even more so if you factor in contracts, as Toews might have the worst contract in the entire NHL.

You're saying that Scheifele right now is better than Toews? Not sure if Scheifele is better than Toews at any point in his career.

By the way, Toews' contract is bad but far from the worst in the league. It doesn't affect his value as a player in any sense.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Just the other day, some Laine/Jets fanboy claimed that Laine is as good as prime Ovi. It's a trend with Jets players, this summer people were talking about Scheifele as being better than Toews. :laugh:

I don't agree with you on Matthews, I say he still turns out to be a better/more complete player than Laine. I'd kill to have Matthews as our top C for the next 10 years, the guy has everything you want in a hockey player.

Despite their stat sheet i think Matthews has been about on par with Laine, despite what HF main boards seem to think. But i think Laine has another offensive gear that Matthews simply doesn't have, and he's nearly full year younger, Matthews missed the '15 draft by 2 days. I wouldn't say it's a small sample size either. Anyone can make a pretty good argument that Laine has been the better of the two for a full year now already.

I'm glad i wouldn't have to make that decision at #1. Even if Laine might end up better that's still tough as hell because centers are more involved in games and have bigger roles.

Mark Scheifele has 31 goals and 30 assists in his last 55 games. He's better than Jonathan Toews.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I just watched the second goal by canucks against TB tonight and ...

I know it's important to have an offensive defenseman for an expansion franchise, but if Orly continues to play like he's playing now this year, with poor numbers too, and Gruby can make few strong starts, I wouldn't be surprise if GMGM chooses Grubauer. He drafted him, he knows him.
I'd rather to have a young Grubauer even @2 or 2.5 (I think they can sign him even at less$$$ than that) than an old Fleury @5.75

PS: I don't really understand the Fleury talk. The pens fans are funny, evereday the say that Fleury is trash, but are 100% sure that GMGM will chose. Logical:sarcasm:

I don't think Bishop is an elite or even a top top goalie, but if he's not traded and not protected, he still the number one favorite for this job, but a team needs 2 or even 3 goalies, so if you have you're starter @6 per (that's what he'll command certainly) you need a cheaper backup.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Cal Clutterbuck just got 5 years, $3.5M AAV from the Islanders.

And people wonder why I think a lot of GMs are really bad.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
You're saying that Scheifele right now is better than Toews? Not sure if Scheifele is better than Toews at any point in his career.

By the way, Toews' contract is bad but far from the worst in the league. It doesn't affect his value as a player in any sense.

Scheifele's still flying under the radar because he's in Winnipeg, but he's really good. Only 5 players have more points in 2016, and only 3 have more goals. I'd definitely say he's better than Toews right now.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Right now Schiefele is better than Toews. Arguably last season as well. Toews has been in cruise control since he signed his massive contract, and Blackhawks fans are not happy about it. He's dragged down every line he's been on.

$10.5M until 2023 for a #2C is the worst contract in the NHL. If Toews picks his play back up it can move past a couple of the other stinkers, but if he continues to play like he has since signing the contract, it's a borderline franchise crippling move.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Scheifele's still flying under the radar because he's in Winnipeg, but he's really good. Only 5 players have more points in 2016, and only 3 have more goals. I'd definitely say he's better than Toews right now.

Right now Schiefele is better than Toews. Arguably last season as well. Toews has been in cruise control since he signed his massive contract, and Blackhawks fans are not happy about it. He's dragged down every line he's been on.

$10.5M until 2023 for a #2C is the worst contract in the NHL. If Toews picks his play back up it can move past a couple of the other stinkers, but if he continues to play like he has since signing the contract, it's a borderline franchise crippling move.

I'm aware of that but it's a small sample size, it could just be a hot streak like Kuzy last year. I also disagree again on Toews. Since signing the contract, he won his 3rd Stanley Cup. He's had a rough time lately but there's no doubt in my mind that a player of his stature will find his way back to the scoresheet soon enough.

I mean, Jets fans have exaggerated their player's worth. If Laine is prime Ovechkin and Scheifele is better than Toews, they better make the playoffs and advance past the 1st round at least. Anything less would then be a huge disappointment.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Anyone watch that Dallas game? Don't know if it makes me feel better or worse that we're not the only team getting BRUTAL ref calls. Every PK Dallas had to deal with was seconds after a big missed call. Feel for them

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Metro/League standings, looks like standings from my GM mode during this summer on nhl15. Where at the end of the regular season, teams from my division (pacific) were 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th overall in the league:laugh:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Penguins are tearing up the teams, they score in bunch of. Hopefully they are picking early!

Maybe but that was the worst ****ing game I've ever seen a team play (Coyotes). Avalanche looked better in their 10-1 decimation.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Letang with a headshot and Pierre has no outrage for it but every time Ovechkin or Wilson get called for hitting too hard he gets outraged.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
man. move me to the column of current playoff format sucks! we'd be in 2nd in the Atlantic, but would play Pitt if the playoffs started today, while OTT and BOS - 35 points each, and 4 below us - would play each other. ugh.
i'm sure it will shake out to something more reasonable, but i sure wouldn't mind flipping divisions from a wildcard spot this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->