League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Free Agency Fallout (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Done? I wouldn't trade him. I think its approaching time to do something about him.
NHL games are won by the team that scores the most goals. When one of your top 6 forwards, your source for goal scoring, hasn't scored a single goal in a quarter of a season, its a problem. He had like 2 goals in his final 20 plus games last season. In fact he had a ten game run in late Jan. Feb where he scored 8 goals. Since then he is not done very much at all.

So Burt's problems are not 20 games old. they are 50 games old

How much of those 50+ games were spent playing with 92 I wonder? Compounding each other's struggles.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yet they're winning, and pro sports is about one thing....winning.

As long as they're winning, things will keep marching along, shuffling lines, making system tweaks, until the playoffs arrive.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yet they're winning, and pro sports is about one thing....winning.

As long as they're winning, things will keep marching along, shuffling lines, making system tweaks, until the playoffs arrive.

"Until the playoffs arrive" is the key statement. The "doom and gloom" crowd here isn't claiming this is some bottom feeder team. What the "doom and gloom" crowd is freaking out about are the massive red flags about this team doing well in the playoffs. Dealing with speedy opponents, transition play, getting consistent secondary scoring, and the performance of the powerplay are areas that have failed this team in past playoffs. What are they struggling with now? Dealing with speed, transition play, secondary scoring, and the powerplay.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
All Star voting opens December 1st. The NHL changed the rules this year so that players who spend any time in the minors aren't eligible. So that rules out John Scott 2.0, but it doesn't stop fans for voting for random 3rd liners that teams certainly won't demote to the AHL.

So.... we're all voting for Tom Wilson right?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
No idea what is going on in Florida.

They had a really good season and then suddenly they go on and change pretty much everything, from logo to jerseys to GM, players and finally the coach too. Whoever made the decision better be sure of what he's doing with that team or they'll end up as a laughing stock. Gallant is a pretty good coach and liked among his players.

I've longed to see Jagr back on the team. He'd be a terrific add for the playoff run. I know most here hate him, but people need to let that go. He could fill that glaring winger issue we have in the top 9.

Send Winnik out and futures, for Jagr.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
"Until the playoffs arrive" is the key statement. The "doom and gloom" crowd here isn't claiming this is some bottom feeder team. What the "doom and gloom" crowd is freaking out about are the massive red flags about this team doing well in the playoffs. Dealing with speedy opponents, transition play, getting consistent secondary scoring, and the performance of the powerplay are areas that have failed this team in past playoffs. What are they struggling with now? Dealing with speed, transition play, secondary scoring, and the powerplay.

Not disagreeing the team isn't perfect. Maybe some players aren't the right fit? Maybe the system needs tweaking? Maybe the lack of secondary scoring that doomed them against the Pens will do so again? Many factors, none really doom and gloom worthy today IMO. Concern? Sure, I get it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I've longed to see Jagr back on the team. He'd be a terrific add for the playoff run. I know most here hate him, but people need to let that go. He could fill that glaring winger issue we have in the top 9.

Friedman:

3. One thing to remember about Florida’s plan: they traded David Bolland (and Lawson Crouse) for cap room, wanting the flexibility to add one major body. So, there is the possibility for two big acquisitions — that player and a healthy Jonathan Huberdeau.

Hard to believe them doing that trade as they are looking to contend.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I'll let it go when Jagr retires.

I wouldn't let that scum near my young players. We have a team with questionable effort issues and Jagr seems like the answer? Even emotions aside, how does that seem like a good plan? His skill set, sure, not a bad hole plugger today. Too much history for Jagr IMO.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'll let it go when Jagr retires.

I wouldn't let that scum near my young players. We have a team with questionable effort issues and Jagr seems like the answer? Even emotions aside, how does that seem like a good plan? His skill set, sure, not a bad hole plugger today. Too much history for Jagr IMO.

Jagr hasn't had effort issues since his time in DC. He's routinely looked at as the epitome of preparation and work ethic. Guys like 50, and still a world class athlete...that's not due to luck.

I have no concerns about Jagr and the kids. Hasn't seemed to hurt Florida's kids.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Unless the coaching change causes a full on implosion in Florida, they won't be out of it. They are barely under .500 and barely outside the playoffs as it stands. They aren't cellar dwellers like the Islanders, which is part of the reason it was so surprising that Gallant got axed. They aren't living up to the expectations set last year, but they aren't so far out of the picture they couldn't get back on track with a couple weeks of good play, either.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Jagr was done as playoff player four years ago. Maybe earlier considering how high scoring 2012 playoffs was for Philly.

His last 28 games 0 goals 12 assists.

He has 1 goal in last 39 games.

He has only 15 goals in last 84 games.

Yea, no.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Jagr hasn't had effort issues since his time in DC. He's routinely looked at as the epitome of preparation and work ethic. Guys like 50, and still a world class athlete...that's not due to luck.

I have no concerns about Jagr and the kids. Hasn't seemed to hurt Florida's kids.

It's not about preparation, he gets in shape. It's about character and lack of it. He's had money issues, is trying to squeeze every last $ out of his career (and solidify his place in NHL history) and has bounced around a lot. Nobody seemingly wanting him for long aside from recently the Panthers.

He might not be horrible, but that's a low reward move IMO. I'd hope GMBM could do better honestly.

Edit: see DrMaggs post for the low reward qualifier.

Last edited:

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
What? The Stars are a goaldtender away from being one of the four or five best teams in the league, but you'd pick the Hurricanes ahead of them and The Predators?
The Stars, absolutely. A goalie is not going to salvage that blue line. Forwards hardly play defense on top of that. They're a sub .500 team that the loser points are keeping them out of the bottom 5 in the league. A lot of that can be said about the Canes, but they are unchanged for the most part from last year and are starting to play like that team from the end of the year.

Preds… Should be a hell of a lot better but still haven't become a better team after getting the new coach and spending more money.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Stars, absolutely. A goalie is not going to salvage that blue line. Forwards hardly play defense on top of that. They're a sub .500 team that the loser points are keeping them out of the bottom 5 in the league. A lot of that can be said about the Canes, but they are unchanged for the most part from last year and are starting to play like that team from the end of the year.

Preds… Should be a hell of a lot better but still haven't become a better team after getting the new coach and spending more money.

The Stars are right in the middle of the pack in terms of Shots Against/Game (15th). In scoring changes against/60 they're actually the 8th best in the league, only giving up 19.44/game. In terms of expected Goals Against per game (xGA60), they're only 0.5 goals/game worse than Washington (2.5 vs 2.45). It's their goaltending and their penalty killing that's letting them down. The Penguins defense also looked awfully weak on paper last year, yet they won a Stanley Cup. Dallas has a similar identity, including in their defensive corps. That's a team with a strong identity that's only missing a couple pieces (namely a goaltender).

The Predators are head and shoulders better than the Hurricanes. It's not even remotely close.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
The Stars are right in the middle of the pack in terms of Shots Against/Game (15th). In scoring changes against/60 they're actually the 8th best in the league, only giving up 19.44/game. In terms of expected Goals Against per game (xGA60), they're only 0.5 goals/game worse than Washington (2.5 vs 2.45). It's their goaltending and their penalty killing that's letting them down. The Penguins defense also looked awfully weak on paper last year, yet they won a Stanley Cup. Dallas has a similar identity, including in their defensive corps. That's a team with a strong identity that's only missing a couple pieces (namely a goaltender).

The Predators are head and shoulders better than the Hurricanes. It's not even remotely close.
Neimi isn't bad. Could be better, but not too bad. Lehtonen is a train wreck though. Bishop has been worse and the Bolts are by far in a better position. I would says the Pens are ok with MAF and worse stats but that paper tiger is starting to be exposed consistently. Murray is still Price Jr. but even that isn't saving them as much anymore.

Preds should be heads and shoulders better team but they aren't.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Friedman:

Hard to believe them doing that trade as they are looking to contend.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, he means the Panthers are going to be adding someone from a trade and getting a healthy Huberdeau back in the lineup, not trading him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, he means the Panthers are going to be adding someone from a trade and getting a healthy Huberdeau back in the lineup, not trading him.

His post is saying that the Panthers are unlikely to be trading away Jagr when their other roster decisions (clearing cap space for additional bodies) indicate they want to add players, rather than subtract them.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
His post is saying that the Panthers are unlikely to be trading away Jagr when their other roster decisions (clearing cap space for additional bodies) indicate they want to add players, rather than subtract them.
Ahhh. I wasn't putting the top part of the post and the bottom part together. Thanks.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Since this is the Caps catch all thread I'll pose the Q's here. A question about access to communications.

Getting Halak'd by the Islanders last night brings back bad memories. Maybe I'm in a pissy mood and probably will regret posting this?

I've been thinking about the access to information in the NHL. Example the NHL is allowed access to text messages. See Wideman.
(mod)

What kind of access is there to the text and other communications with NHL refs from last year? Does this fall under a Freedom of information Act?

I'd be curious to know what instructions are given as to how to ref a game/series. What to let go and who to target with special attention. Remember 2010 getting Halak'd when Knuble barely infringed and that play had been de regueur for ever?

I'm still steamed about how poorly the first round Caps vs Philly went last year. Refs were like bad traffic cops who saw people running red lights and looked away. I blame that beating that was allowed to happen on the Caps by Philly as the reason they lost against the well rested pampered Penguins. Problem is if the Caps play an illegal style they always get called for it.

I was actually shocked the last game the Caps played the Penguins that for once it seemed to actually be a fairly even refereed game. The Penguins were complaining so you knew it was unusual for them. Join the club.

The refereeing in the post season changes from the regular season and I would like to know why?

It's as if you can drive your car by the rules in the daylight hours (aka regular season) but after dark (playoffs) its okay to speed, run red lights, run other drivers off the road, cut them off , run into them with your push bar etc. Then back to daylight rules for regular season. Repeat.

I think it's discouraging to go through an 82 game season. Work your buns off and then when the post season comes the odds are purposely stacked against you because you're not a big market team, have a Russian as Captain or Don Cherry doesn't like you. Or pick some other plausible reason.

At least that what it feels like.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nice rant Dream Big. Unfortunately working the refs is a huge part of the game. No one ever did it better than the King, Drama Queen Mario. In the low scoring era / low scoring playoffs, the effing reffing is even more magnified. One bad goal and 90 games of blood sweat and tears are waved off just like that.

I am still pissed about the Knuble crease override. That play was the exact reason we had gotten him. Hal Gill should win an award for his performance playing the innocent victim, as should Halak in help planting the seed of no goal before going to replay. Zoomed in on the crease for the replay, they overlooked all 6'6 of Gill backing Knuble's skate tip into the crease. Halak, who once he saw the puck go through his legs, fell over like he got knocked over.

That was a huge play in our team history. Quite frankly, the team, led by Ovi, heck even fans, have never been the same since that bad call. Halak gets the credit to most, but that call is not forgotten. Back then, the team fed off of Ovi and his energy; I think the momentum from that goal likely would have propelled us to a series victory. Since then, you can hear a pin drop at Verizon.

Preparing for the inevitable ref swallowed the whistle games seems wise. Play aggressive in the RS, how you would in a game where the whistle is gone. If a team plays aggressive all the time, the refs accept it as normal play, and eventually lets you play that way. We lack the fire drive and determination to do that, however. So, we just hope for the best come game 7, and hope the refs screw up in our favor.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
Hate to say it, but the Flyers' future looks bright.

Columbus, Carolina, Philly, all of them will be very good teams a few years from now. Tough division.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Have you guys seen Laine lately? HF is comparing him to ****ing Mario Lemieux already :laugh:

HF hype is getting ridiculous on the main boards.

That being said he's still better than Auston Matthews despite being nearly full year younger. What a huge lottery win that was for the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad