Speculation: 2016/17 Avalanche Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I would be fine on Bednar or Lambert. From what I researched and read on Green, I just worry if he'd be in over his head at the NHL level right now. I could be wrong but that is the impression I get, that he is not quite there yet. I just don't want Arniel.

Bednar seems more of a players coach than Lambert but I think both would get some good results. I think Bednar is the more likely option because of connections and it would be nice to have some familiarity this close to the season with his ties to members that are part of the Avs' organization now. Both seem like they would be more demanding and hold the players more accountable than Roy did.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Crazy to think we are transitioning from the glory days Avs old boys club into the Blue Jackets young guys club.* :sarcasm:

*if we hire Bednar

I'm good with that. :laugh:

Some Bednar stuff today:

Based off of what I've read, and who I've talked to (in regards to their opinions on the coaching candidates), my preferred order would read:

Bednar
Lambert
Green
Arniel

See...now it's Bednar or I am forever disappointed. :)

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Lambert or Bednar seem like good choices to me......

Seems like Bednar might be right up Sakic's alley though...aggressive coaching style, team first mentality.....add in the Columbus connections and it makes sense to me.

I am a big team first kind of guy. I think that is how you win champs in sports, getting everyone to buy in and understand their role....so after reading all of these write ups he would be my pick, too.

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I haven't been following the Avs' HC search. What about Dineen? Did the Avs ask to interview him? If so, did the Hawks nix that? I thought Dineen was supposed to be one of the top HC candidates for the Avs assuming he's available.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I want Lambert, if not him then Bednar seems to be a good choice too. Not interested in Green at the moment, and definitely not interested in Arniel.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I haven't been following the Avs' HC search. What about Dineen? Did the Avs ask to interview him? If so, did the Hawks nix that? I thought Dineen was supposed to be one of the top HC candidates for the Avs assuming he's available.

Dineen was only speculation. There was never any word on him being considered.

I think they definitely would have liked to consider him an option, he's the perfect fit IMO for what Sakic wants. I have a feeling Chicago might not be willing right now though.

Then again, they could still be talking, maybe trying to work something out on the DL. It's not at all set in stone that the four candidates mentioned, are the only candidates.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary

I doubt Chicago would even allow us to talk to him. If I were the GM of a western team I probably wouldn't allow the Avs to talk to my assistant at this point of the off-season. You're potentially helping a competing team to get into the playoffs and hurting your own chances. Wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks said no as well (re: Boughner).

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I doubt Chicago would even allow us to talk to him. If I were the GM of a western team I probably wouldn't allow the Avs to talk to my assistant at this point of the off-season. You're potentially helping a competing team to get into the playoffs and hurting your own chances. Wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks said no as well (re: Boughner).

Yeah, I thought about the same thing, especially as to Dineen. It makes perfect sense. However, I thought most organizations allow their assistants to pursue a HC opportunity. Although I seem to remember the Kings not allowing clubs to interview one of their assistant coaches (can't recall the name but is the successor in waiting to Sutter IIRC).

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like seeing those tweets about Bednar. A lot of positive comments coming from people in the know. Green is still my guy but I certainly wouldn't mind Bednar.

This Arniel idea needs to get scrapped quickly so I don't have to worry about it being a possibility.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't know if I like the Larsen option, really hope we got with Bednar or Lambert.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Larsen had a decent record as a coach in the AHL. Year before he started as an assistant, the Falcons were 8th in their division. First year as AC, 6th. Second year as AC, 4th. Then both years as HC, 1st. Cannot say the same about the direction the Blue Jackets have taken with him on staff, though we all know they have more issues than an Assistant Coach.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Larson has about as much experience as Green. Please don't be stupid with this Joe.

Larson always had a lot of leadership qualities, but the Avs are not in a position to be handing the reins over to guys that are still learning on the job.

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
Don't really like Larsen's resume as a HC for this team. Maybe we can poach him as an AC and become the Colorado Lake Erie Monster Jackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad