Speculation: 2016/17 Avalanche Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Edit : A new poll

Why no Jacques Martin though? Did I miss something? He's by far the least risky pick out of the bunch and he just won the cup with the Pens. I think it's a shame that he's no NHL head coach at the moment and, as a franchise, we even have a (positive) history with him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Eh... I'm not taking this news hook, line, and sinker that those are the 4 the Avs are focusing on.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Was it you that said that Green didn't interview all that well this summer?

It was me who said that. Scott Laughlin and Boomer Gordon from SiriusXM, as well as a guess they had on at the time (iirc Bill Watters) had mentioned that the reason Green was passed over by teams who interviewed him was because he interviewed quite poorly.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It was me who said that. Scott Laughlin and Boomer Gordon from SiriusXM, as well as a guess they had on at the time (iirc Bill Watters) had mentioned that the reason Green was passed over by teams who interviewed him was because he interviewed quite poorly.

Hmmm. First I've heard of this. Watters was actually on TSN radio last week banging the drum for Green (and ripping Roy).

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Why no Jacques Martin though? Did I miss something? He's by far the least risky pick out of the bunch and he just won the cup with the Pens. I think it's a shame that he's no NHL head coach at the moment and, as a franchise, we even have a (positive) history with him.

Sakic said he wanted a younger coach. That would automatically eliminate Martin.
People wanted to infer things from what Sakic said that were simply not there.

I also think Sakic wants someone from completely outside of the Avs to bring in a fresh perspective and not do things the way they were done in the past.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic said he wanted a younger coach. That would automatically eliminate Martin.

Well that's the part that I missed I guess.

I also think Sakic wants someone from completely outside of the Avs to bring in a fresh perspective and not do things the way they were done in the past.

To be fair the Martin's connection with the org is dating from the Nordiques days. I'd say that he qualifies as "someone from completely outside" by now.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If those names are true, Bednar makes the most sense since Pratt is already here. Still like Green a lot, though, I'm glad he's on the short list. Lambert I don't know as much about but he sounds like he plays a brand of hockey that wouldn't mesh well with our current lineup.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Of the 4 names rumoured... Lambert is intriguing. He's spent 6 years with Trotz, he must have learnt how to set up a proper system.:nod:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hmmm. First I've heard of this. Watters was actually on TSN radio last week banging the drum for Green (and ripping Roy).

It may not have been Watters, but it was someone pretty prominent in the mainstream media who was on that was talking about it. It was quite a while ago and since it was a live interview, I don't think there's a link I can quote. But I 100% recall all three men discussing the fact that Green was passed over because he interviewed poorly.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Well that's the part that I missed I guess.

To be fair the Martin's connection with the org is dating from the Nordiques days. I'd say that he qualifies as "someone from completely outside" by now.

Maybe, but none of the current candidates have any ties to the Avs outside of McFarland which is Columbus and not Colorado.

Sakic appears to want a clean sweep.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It may not have been Watters, but it was someone pretty prominent in the mainstream media who was on that was talking about it. It was quite a while ago and since it was a live interview, I don't think there's a link I can quote. But I 100% recall all three men discussing the fact that Green was passed over because he interviewed poorly.

I'm sure it was said, but dahrougem2 is correct. It isn't a secret that Green has done poorly in his interviews.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Crazy to think we are transitioning from the glory days Avs old boys club into the Blue Jackets young guys club.* :sarcasm:

*if we hire Bednar

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
Of the names mentioned I think it's Bednar. It seems like he's getting the most airtime, and he seems to be the feature in most of the rumors. Plus the Pratt & MacFarland connections.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Of the names mentioned I think it's Bednar. It seems like he's getting the most airtime, and he seems to be the feature in most of the rumors. Plus the Pratt & MacFarland connections.

Makes a lot of sense. Checks all the boxes. Would likely be available. Kind of a high risk, high reward hire.

Would be my first choice, but wouldn't be a torches and pitchforks hire either.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Some Bednar stuff today:

Based off of what I've read, and who I've talked to (in regards to their opinions on the coaching candidates), my preferred order would read:

Bednar
Lambert
Green
Arniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad