WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Virtanen-Strome-Marner
Beauvillier-Point-Konecny
Crouse-Chartier- Merkley
Perlini-Bazal-Stephens
Hawryluk

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Juulsen
Dermott - McKeown
Hickey

A number 1 forward line followed by three even lines. Hawryluk can play everywhere in the line up if there is an injury up front.
Marner and Virtanen are both RW's, highly unlikely we see them on the same line.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
PP lines?

Beaulivier-Strome-Virtanen

Marner-Sanheim

Crouse-Barzal-Konecny

Hicketts-Juulsen

idk

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
PP lines?

Beaulivier-Strome-Virtanen

Marner-Sanheim

Crouse-Barzal-Konecny

Hicketts-Juulsen

idk

You can always use Beaulivier on the point

x6lneK.gif

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
In all fairness, Dermott is probably a lock at this point. I didn't think so in the beginning, but someone posted this on the Leafs board and it kinda makes sense:

Dermott can be pretty chippy when he wants to be and I can't think of anyone else on that Canadian D that has that kind of nasty edge in their play.

Juulsen won't be getting pushed around either.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Obviously not but there's not a McDavid there taking up a center position either. McCann would conceivably be the teams number 1 center, 2 at worst. He's a natural center. There isn't a chance in hell he'd be playing wing if he got sent there. Let's get real here. He plays center with 30 goal scorer Vrbata on the Canucks second line. Whether you think that isn't anything special doesn't matter but he wouldn't be getting moved to wing lol...

Yeah. It's an extremely remote possibility that McCann is even loaned in the first place...but if he is, he's especially not going to be loaned there to play out of position on the wing or in a depth role.

I know Hicketts is a lock, but I tend to be underwhelmed when I catch him playing. I really hope someone pushes their way up the lineup so that we don't have to rely on Hicketts so much. I'd love to see Sanheim and Fleury explode onto the big stage in this tourny, they are the two best DMen on the team by a country mile, imo.

Agreed. As the only returnee on the blueline and with his coach at the helm, he's as much of a lock as it gets. But i wouldn't shed a tear if he wasn't a big part of the team.

Marner and Virtanen are both RW's, highly unlikely we see them on the same line.

Not sure that really matters. Virtanen can play LW...and has for Canada in the past, as well as iirc a bit at the summer camp? I don't think that's really the stumbling block there - though i'd agree it's very unlikely we'd see Virtanen with the Strome+Marner duo. Doesn't seem like a good fit.

I think if anyone behind the bench has been paying attention over recent years...i'd hope/think Virtanen will be paired at the hip with Point as a duo like the Strome+Marner one.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Looking at some of the lines from the CIS games at least to start with, particularly the 2nd one and then the cuts made after...looks to me like there's at least some framework for what they're thinking about doing starting to take shape there...

Crouse-Strome-Marner ---> looks to be what they want to go with, makes sense as Crouse would bring some real size and physicality to that line.

xxx-Barzal-xxx ---> both linemates from the 2nd game cut right after...placeholders for a pair of guys who weren't playing perhaps (Virtanen, Point)?

Perlini-Beauvillier-Gauthier ---> juggled a bit, but seemed to have some chemistry as a line, would be a solid 3rd scoring line if the chemistry works.

xxx-Stephens-Konecny ---> makes tons of sense as the foundation of a good gritty two-way checking line that Canada likes to take to these things...one that can also skate and chip in offensively as well. One of most likely Chartier or Quenneville would plug right in there perfectly.

Hawryluk as an "extra" who can kind of plug in anywhere, like Point last year would make sense. Good versatility. Or perhaps a guy like Merkley who has proven chemistry with Chartier and could be insurance for the younger guy Gauthier?

Putting it all together would leave:

Crouse-Strome-Marner
Virtanen-Barzal-Point
Perlini-Beauvillier-Gauthier
Chartier-Stephens-Konecny
*Hawryluk
or Quenneville?

I actually quite like that personally. Looks pretty good to me, given what's there. Spreads the size and speed over three "balanced" scoring lines...and then what should be a great "checking line" that won't make people groan...still plenty of ability to chip in offensively.

Can't really make heads or tails of anything with the blueline though. :dunno:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hicketts was awful last year? Sure he was not the best on the team but he was solid and I would say he had a decent tournament. If he was actually "awful" there would of been question marks going into this years camp but he was basically considered a lock...not to mention he's been rock solid and just over a point per game this year in junior.

He had to be considered a lock given that his junior coach is coaching the team. He wasn't good last year, hopefully he is this year.

Looking at some of the lines from the CIS games at least to start with, particularly the 2nd one and then the cuts made after...looks to me like there's at least some framework for what they're thinking about doing starting to take shape there...

Crouse-Strome-Marner ---> looks to be what they want to go with, makes sense as Crouse would bring some real size and physicality to that line.

xxx-Barzal-xxx ---> both linemates from the 2nd game cut right after...placeholders for a pair of guys who weren't playing perhaps (Virtanen, Point)?

Perlini-Beauvillier-Gauthier ---> juggled a bit, but seemed to have some chemistry as a line, would be a solid 3rd scoring line if the chemistry works.

xxx-Stephens-Konecny ---> makes tons of sense as the foundation of a good gritty two-way checking line that Canada likes to take to these things...one that can also skate and chip in offensively as well. One of most likely Chartier or Quenneville would plug right in there perfectly.

Hawryluk as an "extra" who can kind of plug in anywhere, like Point last year would make sense. Good versatility. Or perhaps a guy like Merkley who has proven chemistry with Chartier and could be insurance for the younger guy Gauthier?

Crouse-Strome-Marner
Virtanen-Barzal-Point
*Hawryluk
or Quenneville?

I actually quite like that personally. Looks pretty good to me, given what's there. Spreads the size and speed over three "balanced" scoring lines...and then what should be a great "checking line" that won't make people groan...still plenty of ability to chip in offensively.

I think you're putting a bit too much stock into the CIS lines. Point didn't play, and as arguably the best player on the team I doubt that he is going to be moved out of his centre position. Beauvillier has played a lot of wing for Canada before, and seems likely to do so again. As for Merkley being insurance for the younger Gauthier... I doubt that less than five months makes a difference when both players have the exact same number of CHL seasons under their belts.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think you're putting a bit too much stock into the CIS lines. Point didn't play, and as arguably the best player on the team I doubt that he is going to be moved out of his centre position. Beauvillier has played a lot of wing for Canada before, and seems likely to do so again. As for Merkley being insurance for the younger Gauthier... I doubt that less than five months makes a difference when both players have the exact same number of CHL seasons under their belts.

Perhaps. Though there seems to be a pretty clear structure to a lot of what they did there...and they're not just fooling around with non-possibilities for those games given the short nature of the tournament and limited opportunities to bring a team together before the main event.

As to Merkley as insurance for Gauthier, that's really just a small musing. I think you're probably right...if they take Gauthier, it'll be because they think he's the best bet and as i suggested...it's far more likely a guy like Hawryluk would go as the spare...who could fill in for Gauthier, or pretty much anywhere as needed.

And it's not as though i'm penciling Point in there as chopped liver - he'd be on the 2nd line. I think you've got a few things in play there...presumably Point will be playing something of a "top-6 role" for Canada this year. It's been said that Virtanen will be as well upon being loaned out...whether concrete or not, it's probably at least an initial starting point. And Barzal's skillset would also make him a great candidate to play in the "top-6" as well. Virtanen and Point have been guys who seem to play well together and have very complementary skillsets...adding a super skilled guy like Barzal in there probably wouldn't hurt, would it?

And that Perlini-Beauvillier-Gauthier line wouldn't be a bad one either, would it? I think one of Beauvillier or Point is going to end up on the Wing...each has played both center and wing and seem comfortable either way.

The way i have it...you could always start as is...then if for some reason it's not working, it's a pretty easy, straightforward swap in the "middle-6" from:

Virtanen-Barzal-Point

to something else like:

Beauvillier-Point-Virtanen
Perlini-Barzal-Gauthier

Without disturbing the Marner-Strome "top line", or the Stephens-Konecny "checking line". That's a less "balanced" group on paper though, but i could see either working well.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Gauthier was extremely important in the gold-medal game in my opinion. He was trusted the most in the last twenty minutes, he took most of the most important faceoffs when up just 5-4 and only minutes left on the clock. It was a great all-around team effort from Canada in the third and Gauthier was a big part of it.

He was ' extremely important', but boy did he make a mess of glorious setups from his line-mates, time and time again, in that tourney. Crouse and Ritchie might have been better off being more selfish in the offensive zone.

Last edited:

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Perhaps. Though there seems to be a pretty clear structure to a lot of what they did there...and they're not just fooling around with non-possibilities for those games given the short nature of the tournament and limited opportunities to bring a team together before the main event.

As to Merkley as insurance for Gauthier, that's really just a small musing. I think you're probably right...if they take Gauthier, it'll be because they think he's the best bet and as i suggested...it's far more likely a guy like Hawryluk would go as the spare...who could fill in for Gauthier, or pretty much anywhere as needed.

And it's not as though i'm penciling Point in there as chopped liver - he'd be on the 2nd line. I think you've got a few things in play there...presumably Point will be playing something of a "top-6 role" for Canada this year. It's been said that Virtanen will be as well upon being loaned out...whether concrete or not, it's probably at least an initial starting point. And Barzal's skillset would also make him a great candidate to play in the "top-6" as well. Virtanen and Point have been guys who seem to play well together and have very complementary skillsets...adding a super skilled guy like Barzal in there probably wouldn't hurt, would it?

And that Perlini-Beauvillier-Gauthier line wouldn't be a bad one either, would it? I think one of Beauvillier or Point is going to end up on the Wing...each has played both center and wing and seem comfortable either way.

The way i have it...you could always start as is...then if for some reason it's not working, it's a pretty easy, straightforward swap in the "middle-6" from:

Virtanen-Barzal-Point

to something else like:

Perlini-Barzal-Gauthier

Without disturbing the Marner-Strome "top line", or the Stephens-Konecny "checking line". That's a less "balanced" group on paper though, but i could see either working well.

If you've been listening to TSN during the pre-tournament Bob Mckenzie has stated probably 10 times that the coaches have Point penciled in as the number one center. This makes more sense considering he's a returning player and is extremely dominant right now in the WHL...arguably the most dominant player in all the CHL. The Crouse-Strome-Marner line technically won't be considered the number #1 line..though they will be very important for scoring. I think it's highly likely Virtanen plays on the wing centered by Point on the first line and then they move another player up to play left wing...possibly Beauvillier or Perlini. I highly doubt they move Barzal away from the center position as well...I think they want him centering a strong 3rd line who can also be very dangerous. I think it would be very interesting for #1 PP unit if they moved Beauvillier to the point and then had a dynamic unit of Marner, Point, and Strome as forwards...but who knows.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I get this way of thinking, but again... where do 18 year olds play? They aren't eligible for the U-18 so to me that makes them a U-20 player and not an underage player. If you are eligible to play in a lower age group then yes you are an underage player, but as an 18 year old you can't. So not an 18 year old is not an underage player in this tournament.

As an aside...

...Once a 17 year old ( or even a 16 year old phenom theoretically ) has been selected for our U20 team, Hockey Canada considers him ineligible for U18 competitions anyway...In the case of a kid like McD, that meant his one and only chance to play in the U18 WC came at 16.

Good thing Hockey Canada didn't make a similar rule with regards to junior aged kids who had already played on a TC senior team. In that case, P. Bergeron, in 2005, would have been deemed ineligible for what became known as our WJ Dream Team

86Habs

May 4, 2009

Crouse-Strome-Marner
Virtanen-Barzal-Point
*Hawryluk
or Quenneville?

I'm not sure if I like the idea of Virtanen at LW. At last year's tournament, he played on the left side with McDavid for a few games and seemed to struggle receiving passes on his off-wing and didn't seem nearly as comfortable with the puck on his stick as he did when he lined up at RW. North-south players like Virtanen tend to like playing on their correct wing, even though the shooting angle on their off-wing is more favourable. Maybe it comes down to Virtanen's confidence and puck-handling skills, but I'd be wary of playing him on the left side.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Virtanen-Barzal-Point

to something else like:

Perlini-Barzal-Gauthier

I think your final set of lines is very close to what we will see. Point is basically too good at the moment to be moved from his natural position, which gives Beauvillier the short end of the stick. While they weren't just wasting time against the CIS, it's clear that some players had to play centre even when they won't at the WJC, given that Point and Strome weren't there.

I also suspect that it's best to think of the forward group as having a top nine rather than a top six. If they run Point, Strome and Barzal down the middle it's going to mean three primarily offensive lines. Looks like a good setup to me, as it matches what Canada has been doing successfully at recent international events.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If you've been listening to TSN during the pre-tournament Bob Mckenzie has stated probably 10 times that the coaches have Point penciled in as the number one center. This makes more sense considering he's a returning player and is extremely dominant right now in the WHL...arguably the most dominant player in all the CHL. The Crouse-Strome-Marner line technically won't be considered the number #1 line..though they will be very important for scoring. I think it's highly likely Virtanen plays on the wing centered by Point on the first line and then they move another player up to play left wing...possibly Beauvillier or Perlini. I highly doubt they move Barzal away from the center position as well...I think they want him centering a strong 3rd line who can also be very dangerous. I think it would be very interesting for #1 PP unit if they moved Beauvillier to the point and then had a dynamic unit of Marner, Point, and Strome as forwards...but who knows.

What is really the #1 line still really remains to be seen, though it's interesting they'd say that. I haven't actually heard that, but maybe i just don't pay enough attention to TSN.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of Virtanen at LW. At last year's tournament, he played on the left side with McDavid for a few games and seemed to struggle receiving passes on his off-wing and didn't seem nearly as comfortable with the puck on his stick as he did when he lined up at RW. North-south players like Virtanen tend to like playing on their correct wing, even though the shooting angle on their off-wing is more favourable. Maybe it comes down to Virtanen's confidence and puck-handling skills, but I'd be wary of playing him on the left side.

I think the biggest issue last year with Virtanen was a "fit" sort of thing. He was the first guy bounced around the lineup from wing to wing, line to line - for a reason. And i said it before the tournament...McDavid with Virtanen was a potential disaster. It's like finding a winger for Crosby internationally...

The LW thing, Virtanen has imo played his best hockey on the LW...but has consistently been bumped back and forth and can play whichever wing is needed. I think LW is his better fit, but he doesn't seem to care and will play wherever he's asked without complaint.

I think your final set of lines is very close to what we will see. Point is basically too good at the moment to be moved from his natural position, which gives Beauvillier the short end of the stick. While they weren't just wasting time against the CIS, it's clear that some players had to play centre even when they won't at the WJC, given that Point and Strome weren't there.

I also suspect that it's best to think of the forward group as having a top nine rather than a top six. If they run Point, Strome and Barzal down the middle it's going to mean three primarily offensive lines. Looks like a good setup to me, as it matches what Canada has been doing successfully at recent international events.

Could be. Certainly a reasonable lineup either way. Either one of the middle-6 lineups seems like a quality group to me...just a matter of where the chemistry falls as a line i think. Which hopefully they'll get sorted out in the pre-tourny games.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I think the biggest issue last year with Virtanen was a "fit" sort of thing. He was the first guy bounced around the lineup from wing to wing, line to line - for a reason. And i said it before the tournament...McDavid with Virtanen was a potential disaster. It's like finding a winger for Crosby internationally...

The LW thing, Virtanen has imo played his best hockey on the LW...but has consistently been bumped back and forth and can play whichever wing is needed. I think LW is his better fit, but he doesn't seem to care and will play wherever he's asked without complaint.

That could be it, Virtanen's discomfort when receiving passes on his off-wing in particular was pretty obvious to me but as you said it could have been a lack of chemistry with McDavid and the fact that Virtanen bounced around the lineup, which had the effect of not letting him develop any real familiarity or "feel" for his linemates. Overall I was happy with how he performed in last year's tournament, though. We're thinner this year in terms of our LHed forwards so if Jake has experience playing LW, then that could be of benefit to us.

It's odd seeing Konecny on a defensive-oriented "checking" line, but he certainly has the IQ, skating ability, puck pursuit/retrieval skills and grit to pull it off. I'd be happy to see him and Stephens anchor a 4th line as what it really means is that we can roll four lines that are credible offensively and create matchup difficulties for our opponents. This is a much better look than the random defensive plugs we used to see manning the 3rd and 4th lines for us at these tournaments.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
That could be it, Virtanen's discomfort when receiving passes on his off-wing in particular was pretty obvious to me but as you said it could have been a lack of chemistry with McDavid and the fact that Virtanen bounced around the lineup, which had the effect of not letting him develop any real familiarity or "feel" for his linemates. Overall I was happy with how he performed in last year's tournament, though. We're thinner this year in terms of our LHed forwards so if Jake has experience playing LW, then that could be of benefit to us.

It's odd seeing Konecny on a defensive-oriented "checking" line, but he certainly has the IQ, skating ability, puck pursuit/retrieval skills and grit to pull it off. I'd be happy to see him and Stephens anchor a 4th line as what it really means is that we can roll four lines that are credible offensively and create matchup difficulties for our opponents. This is a much better look than the random defensive plugs we used to see manning the 3rd and 4th lines for us at these tournaments.

I'd be really surprised if Konecny was on the 4th line...I think it's likely he'll play with Barzal on the 3rd line which would be extremely dynamic.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Hoping Quenneville gets on of course since I'm a Devils fan, but he is a good 2 way player and can play C and LW. Likely a 4th line role but he can contribute to the PK.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I'd really like to see this:

Brendan Perlini - Braydon Point - Jake Virtanen
Lawson Crouse - Dylan Strome - Mitch Marner
Anthony Beauvillier - Mat Barzal - Travis Konecny
John Quenneville - Mitchell Stephens - Julien Gauthier
Jayce Hawryluk

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Wonder how Hawryluk's injury is going to affect his chances. I've always thought he had a good chance but with Gauthier & Beauvillier bringing some nice offence to the table does Hawryluk get bumped...

Looking forward to the pre-tournament games!

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Is he McDavid? He's just a regular player, there's nothing exceptional of him. He does what the team needs, and if Barzal is superior or whoever he moves to wing. And to be the 2nd or third line centre of the canucks is nothing special, let's be honest here, other players on this team would have more success then him in that spot.

I bet you're just looking at draft position now, and at the fact that McCann didn't make last years WJC team. Because i doubt that you've seen him play much, or seen his qualities. He deserved to stay in the NHL with the Canucks, more so than Virtanen, he honestly couldn't have done a better job. Right now, he's definitely looking like one of the biggest steals in that draft. I dare you to mention 3 players on the team that would've done a better job in "his spot" (funny when they're actually playing junior hockey and he's not).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad