WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
In all fairness, Dermott is probably a lock at this point. I didn't think so in the beginning, but someone posted this on the Leafs board and it kinda makes sense:

Dermott can be pretty chippy when he wants to be and I can't think of anyone else on that Canadian D that has that kind of nasty edge in their play.

Me likey.

leafs1396

Nov 30, 2015
First off: Last week, it was reported that McCann was 100% not being loaned. Didn't really have much hope for Fabbri being loaned but I was just wondering if anyone had any updates on the likeliness of McCann coming if his status has changed?

Next: Judging buy the guys heading to Europe, what do you guys think of this roster?

Perlini - Point - Virtanen
Crouse - Strome - Marner
Beauvillier - Barzal - Gauthier
Quenneville - Stephens - Konecny
Hawryluk

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Juulsen
Dermott - McKeown
Hickey

If McCann were to be loaned:

Virtanen - McCann - Point
Crouse - Strome - Marner
Perlini - Stephens - Konecny
Quenneville

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Juulsen
Dermott - McKeown
Hickey

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Hopefully McCann gets loaned. He's right on the edge of being NHL ready, but the Canucks are a tire fire outside of the Sedins and top D pair. Be nice for him to play with linemates that actually give a ****.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
First off: Last week, it was reported that McCann was 100% not being loaned. Didn't really have much hope for Fabbri being loaned but I was just wondering if anyone had any updates on the likeliness of McCann coming if his status has changed?

Next: Judging buy the guys heading to Europe, what do you guys think of this roster?

Perlini - Point - Virtanen
Crouse - Strome - Marner
Quenneville - Stephens - Konecny
Hawryluk

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Juulsen
Dermott - McKeown
Hickey

If McCann were to be loaned:

Virtanen - McCann - Point
Crouse - Strome - Marner
Perlini - Stephens - Konecny
Quenneville

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Juulsen
Dermott - McKeown
Hickey

Even though Sutter is injured I honestly think there is an 50-50 chance they loan him. Before it seemed like they definitely wouldn't but the fact that Mckenzie has now been reporting that Benning has not said no yet means they will be giving it some serious contemplation. Vancouver is not a very good team this year anyways they have lots of good young talent but they need to develop...hopefully he is loaned.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I know Hicketts is a lock, but I tend to be underwhelmed when I catch him playing. I really hope someone pushes their way up the lineup so that we don't have to rely on Hicketts so much. I'd love to see Sanheim and Fleury explode onto the big stage in this tourny, they are the two best DMen on the team by a country mile, imo.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Dermott deserved to be there. He's a solid physical D. We need him on the PK and shutting down other squad top line.

Hicketts is not TC level. f they need offensive-D they have plenty of them and had better options in the CHL than a 5.7 Midget who'se garbage defensively.

I still cannot believe Perron wasn't invited. He bring everything we need for a 3rd or 4th liner. Way better than Merkley-Quenneville-Chartier.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
by virtue of the fact that an 18 year old has another year of eligibility remaining before he ages out, therefore by definition, underage. It's that simple.

I get this way of thinking, but again... where do 18 year olds play? They aren't eligible for the U-18 so to me that makes them a U-20 player and not an underage player. If you are eligible to play in a lower age group then yes you are an underage player, but as an 18 year old you can't. So not an 18 year old is not an underage player in this tournament.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Dermott deserved to be there. He's a solid physical D. We need him on the PK and shutting down other squad top line.

Hicketts is not TC level. f they need offensive-D they have plenty of them and had better options in the CHL than a 5.7 Midget who'se garbage defensively.

I still cannot believe Perron wasn't invited. He bring everything we need for a 3rd or 4th liner. Way better than Merkley-Quenneville-Chartier.

Hicketts is one of the best D in the Dub...

leafs1396

Nov 30, 2015

Hicketts has to be doing something right if Detroit signed him to an entry level deal after just one week of a rookie camp and Hockey Canada views him as a potential captain of their World Junior Team.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Hickets was awful last year. Never impressed me much in tough/comptetitive situation. AHL player in the future

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Gauthier scored on his own net in the gold medal game when he was in the crease for absolutely no reason.

Gauthier was extremely important in the gold-medal game in my opinion. He was trusted the most in the last twenty minutes, he took most of the most important faceoffs when up just 5-4 and only minutes left on the clock. It was a great all-around team effort from Canada in the third and Gauthier was a big part of it.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Have you ever seen Dermott play? He's not a shutdown defenceman, he's a way bettter offensively than defensively.......

Btw Hicketts is far from garbage in the defensive zone. Get a clue.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Have you ever seen Dermott play? He's not a shutdown defenceman, he's a way bettter offensively than defensively.......

We'll see my friend. I can do an avatar bet...ill use a stupid Leafs avatar so you can use a Brad Marchand...

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Meh, he's an all-around guy. Very creative when it comes to getting the puck out of the defensive zone. IMO that would probably be one of his best assets aside from his competitive nature and confidence with the puck.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Hickets was awful last year. Never impressed me much in tough/comptetitive situation. AHL player in the future

Pietrangelo was also awful as an 18 year old. He was a star the following year, and has become an Olympic calibre player

Schenn was an absolute beast as an 18 year old. Had a few good NHL seasons, but is now a 3rd pairing guy, who is basically in the NHL because his contract is big and his isnt bad enough to justify a demotion

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015

Hicketts was awful last year? Sure he was not the best on the team but he was solid and I would say he had a decent tournament. If he was actually "awful" there would of been question marks going into this years camp but he was basically considered a lock...not to mention he's been rock solid and just over a point per game this year in junior.

DanrikCarter

Jan 28, 2009
Wow, I can't believe the flack Hicketts is getting on here. Sure he wasn't the best last year but he certainly wasn't bad. I can't recall any time he got beat badly defensively and he had some great breakout passes.

As a Victoria fan, I can confirm that is even better this year. The best player on the ice every time they play.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
In all fairness, Dermott is probably a lock at this point. I didn't think so in the beginning, but someone posted this on the Leafs board and it kinda makes sense:

Dermott can be pretty chippy when he wants to be and I can't think of anyone else on that Canadian D that has that kind of nasty edge in their play.

he also went on to say that he hasn't shown his physicality yet in camp

Dod93Cityt

Do You Believe In Ghosts?
Aug 29, 2012
Canada
Wow, I can't believe the flack Hicketts is getting on here. Sure he wasn't the best last year but he certainly wasn't bad. I can't recall any time he got beat badly defensively and he had some great breakout passes.

As a Victoria fan, I can confirm that is even better this year. The best player on the ice every time they play.

Watch out for the circle jerk!! :laugh:

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
How I would go

Virtanen-Strome-Marner
Beauvillier-Point-Konecny
Crouse-Chartier- Merkley
Perlini-Bazal-Stephens
Hawryluk

Sanheim - Hicketts
Fleury - Juulsen
Dermott - McKeown
Hickey

A number 1 forward line followed by three even lines. Hawryluk can play everywhere in the line up if there is an injury up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad