WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Kane was originally cut from that team. brought back to replace an injured player. Dana Tyrell iirc.

Yes I recalled that, though not Tyrell's name, and was just about to post it, BUT u beat me to the punch ( with all due respect to Tyrell, might have been a blessing in disguise )

P.S: Wasn't it an injury which lead to Perry being moved up to the top line with Crosby and Bergeron on our 2005 Dream Team? That was DEFINITELY a blessing in disguise...Again , if memory serves, Perry was life or death, even to make that team, BUT scored a hat trick in one of the pre-tourney games cementing his spot...

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Yes I recalled that, though not Tyrell's name, and was just about to post it, BUT u beat me to the punch ( with all due respect to Tyrell, might have been a blessing in disguise )

P.S: Wasn't it an injury which lead to Perry being moved up to the top line with Crosby and Bergeron on our 2005 Dream Team? That was DEFINITELY a blessing in disguise...Again , if memory serves, Perry was life or death, even to make that team, BUT scored a hat trick in one of the pre-tourney games cementing his spot...

That was Jeremy Colliton.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Jake Slater:

I was speaking strictly from memory, BUT I finally relented and checked the roster and ur right Petro was on that team. But if ur saying he was more effective in 2010, than PK was in 2009, I would argue that he certainly wasn't , leastways not on the pp.

PK and Ellis ( my most salient pt ) were very effective together on the pp in 2009. Indeed that pp was probably the greatest, in terms of scoring efficiency, in the history of this tourney! Ellis and Petro ( who took over PK's role as rover, in 2010 not so much ), again our 2010 pp not only didn't score at anywhere near the same clip...They got torched REPEATEDLY by the Yanks to the tune of SH goals. If u call that being more effective...I certainly DON'T!

I call being more effective being more effective, and not just limited to the powerplay. Pietrangelo was better. I'm sure having the offensively talented 2009 team in front of him would have helped scoring too. Discussing your half correct reminisces isn't really relevant to this thread though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Absolute joke to cut Dubois and Bring some of those OHL-WHL guys instead: Quenneville, Hawryluk, Merkley, Chartier

HC has something against the Francophones and it's been clear for a while.

Lauzon should be on this team as he's been better than the others around him for 6th or 7th d.

Not inviting Perron was a joke. He's perfect fit for HC.

Also why bring some WHL-OHL guy and not invite some QC guy like Aube Kudel who has more speed than any1 on thsi squad...

oh well...

Honestly how does Perron not get an invite? He works his bag off all the time, kills penalties and is the captain of a top end jr team. Its not like he is soft either.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LOL 1st PP unit!!!!

Hickett and Sanheim>>>>>>>>>>> Chabot

You must be a Sens fan....

You must have never actually watched Hicketts. The irony of all the people coming in and saying Dermott is a lock then pulling the you must be a sens fan card is HILARIOUS.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Is he McDavid? He's just a regular player, there's nothing exceptional of him. He does what the team needs, and if Barzal is superior or whoever he moves to wing. And to be the 2nd or third line centre of the canucks is nothing special, let's be honest here, other players on this team would have more success then him in that spot.

Being a 2nd line center in the NHL is nothing special for a 19 year old.

Heard it here folks.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Is he McDavid? He's just a regular player, there's nothing exceptional of him. He does what the team needs, and if Barzal is superior or whoever he moves to wing. And to be the 2nd or third line centre of the canucks is nothing special, let's be honest here, other players on this team would have more success then him in that spot.

Obviously not but there's not a McDavid there taking up a center position either. McCann would conceivably be the teams number 1 center, 2 at worst. He's a natural center. There isn't a chance in hell he'd be playing wing if he got sent there. Let's get real here. He plays center with 30 goal scorer Vrbata on the Canucks second line. Whether you think that isn't anything special doesn't matter but he wouldn't be getting moved to wing lol...

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
If Point plays center there isn't much room on the top 2 lines unless McCann plays wing. I could see Point and McCann playing together and both alternating positions depending on the situation.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
I have been calling out MDC for not having what it takes and it took a long time before some on the boards to finally catch on
He doesn't fit the style they want
I feel for the guy
Virtanen helps and will give this team a medal chance
This is going to be one of the most competitive tournaments in history
Lots of balance among the top six hockey nations
So so many things can fall off the rails for such a young team but they will be exciting to watch develop and we will be there to give a Lowry a hand in coaching

That's not good though. They needed him to fit and excel.

If Virtanen can be the 4th/5th leading scorer I'll be pleasantly surprised.

More of a situation where I wouldn't be overly surprised if this team doesn't medal instead of being among the paper favourites.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You must have never actually watched Hicketts. The irony of all the people coming in and saying Dermott is a lock then pulling the you must be a sens fan card is HILARIOUS.

In all fairness, Dermott is probably a lock at this point. I didn't think so in the beginning, but someone posted this on the Leafs board and it kinda makes sense:

Dermott can be pretty chippy when he wants to be and I can't think of anyone else on that Canadian D that has that kind of nasty edge in their play.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

How exactly is it ironic to call Dermott a lock.....when he is a lock for the team.

euro35

Oct 31, 2009
I think the top 6 should be:

Virtanen-Point-Konecny
Crouse-Strome-Marner

Konecny and Virtanen both showed good chemistry with Point in the summer. If anyone can make Virtanen look like the star player he should be, it's Point, and having Jake on left wing should allow him to get more shots off. I'd be shocked if Brayden isn't named captain, he's the best all-round player and has the calm intensity winners are made of.

Strome and Marner have played together lots and Crouse gives them some puck retrieval and finish, so that should be a good line too.

this is so on target Konecny Point Virtanen That is the combo to win with
Point will Make Virts look like a god

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I think McCann ends up going after all. He would be a great fit with any playmaking wingers, has a hell of shot. I'd be very surprised if he isn't playing in the top-6 though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How exactly is it ironic to call Dermott a lock.....when he is a lock for the team.

Are you a coach?

this is so on target Konecny Point Virtanen That is the combo to win with
Point will Make Virts look like a god

Does Virtanen play left wing? Wouldnt that have someone playing out of position? Point can play LW im pretty sure but Konecny and Virtanen are wingers.

euro35

Oct 31, 2009
That phrase gets overused by Hockey Canada and the TSN talking heads.

5-7 underagers (18 years old) is right where we should be. There will be years that are exceptions of course. (last year) 1995 birth year was/is/will be a strong group of elite level talent + depth.

as strong as last year was the team still had Virtanen Hicketts Point Fabbri Crouse and Mcdavid
4 underage 2 double underage This team will be same age on average

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
as strong as last year was the team still had Virtanen Hicketts Point Fabbri Crouse and Mcdavid
4 underage 2 double underage This team will be same age on average

And if the 3 NHLers had been available (95 birth year) how many of them would have been on the team? McDavid and Fabbri would be my choice for the 2 making along with Ekblad, making it 3 underager players. An exceptional year. The norm should be around 5.

euro35

Oct 31, 2009
McDavid has thrown everybody off. He fundamentally changed the way we look at junior hockey players. Just because we don't have a player on the team who has 2.6 PPG doesn NOT mean we have a bad team. For example, some people here are saying we really don't have any stud players on our team this year. That is ridiculous. Dylan Strome was a third overall pick (who is a good comparison to Reinhart) and Mitch Marner is ripping up the OHL Patrick Kane style. That doesn't even mention Point, Barzal, Konecny, Beauvillier, Virtanen etc.

Point averaging 2.3 Maner avg 2.3

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't like your line up. Point on the 3rd line? Beauvillier and Barzal on the 4th??

The idea was to have three fairly balanced scoring lines and one matchup line that can take on the tough defensive assignments. Barzal and Beauvillier being listed on the "4th line" doesn't mean they're in a checking role or won't get offensive opportunities.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If Point plays center there isn't much room on the top 2 lines unless McCann plays wing. I could see Point and McCann playing together and both alternating positions depending on the situation.

Always a bonus to have a pair of opposite handed, natural centermen on the same line. Could have them both taking faceoffs on their backhand side.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I found that Virtanen looked uncomfortable at last year's tournament when he was asked to play LW, his wrong side. Theoretically, as a RHed shooter, playing the left side would open up better shooting angles for him but, nevertheless, he didn't seem comfortable receiving passes or handling the puck on his right side so I think we'll see him at RW.

If McCann is released, I would like to see him on a line with Point and Virtanen. In terms of who plays center, I would envision something like in Sochi when Bergeron and Crosby lined up together - McCann (Bergeron) would handle the defensive responsibilities normally associated with a center, while Point (Crosby) would transition to the primary puck carrier and distributor through the neutral zone and into the o-zone. As someone already mentioned having a RHed and LHed faceoff taker on the same line is really beneficial. In terms of offensive zone play McCann is a good shooter and has a high hockey IQ, and should compliment Point's strong puck handling and playmaking skills. Virtanen obviously bringing the speed down the wing and physicality (which will be unmatched at this tournament) to that line.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
In all fairness, Dermott is probably a lock at this point. I didn't think so in the beginning, but someone posted this on the Leafs board and it kinda makes sense:

Dermott can be pretty chippy when he wants to be and I can't think of anyone else on that Canadian D that has that kind of nasty edge in their play.

One of the most underrated prospect in the game.

Just the way he was being used in the summer camp and subway series, you almost knew he'd be on the team.

IMO he'd have to play his way off the team right now.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
No? I don't think I ever implied I was lol but everything that has been released about this team has Dermott being a lock.

Yes but Dermott is a Leaf, so innately Bert must become hostile.

Now if his name was Chabot, you'd have no trouble.

:laugh:

:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad