WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Even without Virtanen I have no idea how people were callign the skill level for this team into question.

Some of you need to stop staring at stat sheets and actually watch the game.

This team is dynamic and offers a lot of different ways the coach can gameplan. Very excited to see what they can do

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
LOL 1st PP unit!!!!

Hickett and Sanheim>>>>>>>>>>> Chabot

You must be a Sens fan....

Pretty sure he is not a Sens fan. Maybe he is merely an open minded Team Canada fan looking out for the best interest of Canada as opposed to a narrow minded Leafs fan?

Not saying Chabot does or doesn't deserve top pp minutes, but to call him out for suggesting it and simply thinking he must be a Sens fan is uneducated and uncalled for bash in my opinion.

Chabots game fits perfectly with the big ice. Fast, smooth and agile skating defenceman are always in need on the international ice surface and Chabot fits that to a T.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
No, he wasn't. Plus he had cement feet. You must be a Leafs fan.

How'd you guess...

Anyhow based off some of your roster predictions, I'm just going to hold off with saying anything about you judging players performances, and who should and shouldn't be on TC.

Gauthier played his role fine (which wasn't a lot) but was a big part in holding the fort down late in the game against Russia, and played well on the PK all tournament long.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Pretty sure he is not a Sens fan. Maybe he is merely an open minded Team Canada fan looking out for the best interest of Canada as opposed to a narrow minded Leafs fan?

Not saying Chabot does or doesn't deserve top pp minutes, but to call him out for suggesting it and simply thinking he must be a Sens fan is uneducated and uncalled for bash in my opinion.

Chabots game fits perfectly with the big ice. Fast, smooth and agile skating defenceman are always in need on the international ice surface and Chabot fits that to a T.

Don't think he's a Leafs fans, but thanks for trying.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Virtanen was pretty decent last year with 5 points in 7 games, point had 4 points and crouse i think had 3.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Virtanen gives us 3 legitimate scoring lines and some more offence to the 4th line. Now on the left side: Crouse, Beauvillier, Perlini and on the right side: Marner, Virtanen, Konecny, Gauthier. Down the centre there is Strome, Point, Barzal, Chartier/Stephens.

Now that's a really balanced attack.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Hahahaha, bashes someone for saying someone must be a sens fan, then accuses that person of being a narrow-minded leaf fan. The hypocrisy is strong in this one. A quick glance at that persons posting history would show he is most likely a Habs fan.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Hopefully the Canucks release McCann as well. As a Canucks fan, developing our young players in a winning environment is very important! :sarcasm:

I'm doubtful they do it, though. They can't afford to lose a center, but it'd be right thing for the player.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I'd send something like this with the guys left in camp

Beauvillier- Point- Virtanen
Crouse- Strome- Marner
Perlini- Barzal- Konecny
Quenneville- Stephens- Gauthier
Hawryluk

Sanheim- Hicketts
Fleury- McKeown
Dermott- Juulsen
Chabot

IF Jared McCann were to be released, I'd really want to see him in the center of the ice, but with the guys who are left, I think it'd make the most sense to put him on the left side and have him play center as they deem fit. I just don't know who they would move to the right side/cut if they played McCann in the middle.

McCann- Point- Virtanen
Crouse- Strome- Marner
Beauvillier- Barzal- Konecny
Perlini- Stephens- Gauthier
Hawryluk

Love

Feb 29, 2012
IF Jared McCann were to be released, I'd really want to see him in the center of the ice, but with the guys who are left, I think it'd make the most sense to put him on the left side and have him play center as they deem fit. I just don't know who they would move to the right side/cut if they played McCann in the middle.

McCann- Point- Virtanen
Crouse- Strome- Marner
Beauvillier- Barzal- Konecny
Perlini- Stephens- Gauthier
Hawryluk

I like the this forward group a lot.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Don't like that MDC was cut so early, but that's partly on him. Forwards outside of Marner/Strome look disappointing.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Don't like that MDC was cut so early, but that's partly on him. Forwards outside of Marner/Strome look disappointing.

Disagree...Point is a better player right now in junior than Strome.

Virtanen Beaullivier Barzal Konecny will be top players in this tourney. (okay not literally top top players i mean good)

Theres no Mcdavid Duclair Domi Reinhart but that doesnt happen every year.

The team is very young in that sense. Only 4 returnee players.

Lead by 97's.

DanrikCarter

Jan 28, 2009
I think the top 6 should be:

Virtanen-Point-Konecny
Crouse-Strome-Marner

Konecny and Virtanen both showed good chemistry with Point in the summer. If anyone can make Virtanen look like the star player he should be, it's Point, and having Jake on left wing should allow him to get more shots off. I'd be shocked if Brayden isn't named captain, he's the best all-round player and has the calm intensity winners are made of.

Strome and Marner have played together lots and Crouse gives them some puck retrieval and finish, so that should be a good line too.

I think Hicketts will be captain

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Getting Virtanen is a bonus. but he was number 3 on my tournament wish list, I'd prefer Fabbri or McCann. I'm sure with the tournament being in Finland and Virtanen's Finnish roots was a factor in his decision to suit up once again. Good for him. If the team plays up to its potential and we get solid goaltending, then we should see Canada play for the only medal that matters.

Still holding out hope for Fabbri until the NHL roster freeze on the 19th. St. Louis can't be much of a contender if their season rests on the shoulders of a 19 year old.

And not surprised that Dal Colle was cut (correct decision) and Chychrun (also correct decision).

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I prefer Barzal to McCann IMO as 3rd line center. Or they will put McCann on the left side. He's already done it before.

McCann is better than Virtanen, if he's coming over, he's defs going to be a top 9 forward. McCamn is a NHL caliber player.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
McCann is better than Virtanen, if he's coming over, he's defs going to be a top 9 forward. McCamn is a NHL caliber player.

If McCann or Fabbri get sent down I think they could move Point to RW

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

I have been calling out MDC for not having what it takes and it took a long time before some on the boards to finally catch on
He doesn't fit the style they want
I feel for the guy
Virtanen helps and will give this team a medal chance
This is going to be one of the most competitive tournaments in history
Lots of balance among the top six hockey nations
So so many things can fall off the rails for such a young team but they will be exciting to watch develop and we will be there to give a Lowry a hand in coaching

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
MDC was not a good fit for international ice. Lack of speed was evident.

Speed is a main factor on those ice with high Hockey IQ.

I'm not sure I like Crouse on the top line...he should be on 3rd or 4th line for me,
If we need a big body who can score, Gauthier is the guy. Better instincts and fit than Crouse.

Defense is tough...

Not a fan of McKeown so far. Juulseen has been meh...

Hickets should be our 7th dman....playing more when we need offense and being on the PP

5 vs 5 he not useful.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Everybody bashing this team Canada roster this year is absolutely inept and have must of never watched these guys play. The team this year up front is extremely deep and is highly skilled...Barzal was arguably the best player in the entire U18 tournament last year and he is our third line center. Obviously the Domi line last year was amazing...but anybody who has seen guys like Marner and Point play should know these guys have elite skill similar to Domi. Our defence is also steady all the way through...nobody too risky and all offensive like a Murphy. This will also be one of the fastest, if not the fastest team, that we have ever ice in international play. I am very interested in the damage these guys can do on big ice and I think this team has the potential to be extremely dominant.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
That sounds more promising. It will be interesting to see how the line combinations shake out. Looks similar to last year's approach of three offensive lines and a more defensive/gritty line.

Indeed, and the guys remaining in camp competing for the final four forward spots (presumably Quenneville, Stephens, Chartier, Hawryluk, Merkley, and Gauthier) aren't exactly black holes offensively like some of our role players have been in the recent past (Anderson, Frederick Gauthier, Crouse last year, etc.).

Konecny does pretty much everything for the 67s; the coach (Jeff Brown) splits up him and Dante Salituro, by far the team's best forward outside of Konecny, on separate lines, resulting in depressed goal scoring totals for Konecny as his typical linemates are your fairly run-of-the-mill OHL 2nd/3rd liners. Personally I think a Barzal-Konecny combination with, say Perlini, would be an explosive line on the international ice. Their skating ability alone would put a ton of pressure on the opposition, and Barzal's playmaking ability paired with Perlini's ability to go hard to the net, and Konecny's shot and offensive IQ would be a deadly line.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

If McCann were to be loaned out for the WJC, he'd be playing Center somewhere in the top-9 for sure. But i think the bolded is why that's probably a moot point. He's an NHL calibre player, and the Canucks don't really have much else to fill his role at center for them with Sutter out for some time still.

Like Irfan said a while back, before the Virtanen decision was even officially made:

Seems extremely unlikely that they'd be officially announcing the Virtanen decision and not have a pretty strong inkling that they're keeping McCann. If he were getting sent to this, i'm sure they'd have just announced both items at the same time.

Excited to see Virtanen there in any case. His speed should be great for the big ice, and he'll bring some good size to an otherwise fairly smallish forward group. Should be fun.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
If McCann were to be loaned out for the WJC, he'd be playing Center somewhere in the top-9 for sure. But i think the bolded is why that's probably a moot point. He's an NHL calibre player, and the Canucks don't really have much else to fill his role at center for them with Sutter out for some time still.

Like Irfan said a while back, before the Virtanen decision was even officially made:

Seems extremely unlikely that they'd be officially announcing the Virtanen decision and not have a pretty strong inkling that they're keeping McCann. If he were getting sent to this, i'm sure they'd have just announced both items at the same time.

Excited to see Virtanen there in any case. His speed should be great for the big ice, and he'll bring some good size to an otherwise fairly smallish forward group. Should be fun.

Or they are just waiting with the announcement until they know the health status of their forwards.

Sep 18, 2009
Everybody bashing this team Canada roster this year is absolutely inept and have must of never watched these guys play. The team this year up front is extremely deep and is highly skilled...Barzal was arguably the best player in the entire U18 tournament last year and he is our third line center. Obviously the Domi line last year was amazing...but anybody who has seen guys like Marner and Point play should know these guys have elite skill similar to Domi. Our defence is also steady all the way through...nobody too risky and all offensive like a Murphy. This will also be one of the fastest, if not the fastest team, that we have ever ice in international play. I am very interested in the damage these guys can do on big ice and I think this team has the potential to be extremely dominant.

Canada will win this tournament.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014

Although talented, this team is dependent on 18's + a 17 year old, if memory serves, in Gauthier, in what has been, traditionally, a tourney dominated by 19 year olds...

Historically, such young teams haven't fared well in this tourney.

Like somebody said, TC could go off the rails rather quickly, considering the pool they're in, and considering they get the Yanks right off the hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->