2015 WHL Playoff thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

Calgary vs Brandon - Wheat Kings in 6. Complete toss up here. I'm just going with my gut. I think you could make a valid argument for either team. These were the two teams I expected to meet in the Eastern finals. The same can be said about the two Western finalists.

Portland vs Kelowna - Rockets in 6. This isn't the same Portland team from years past and unlike prior playoff meetings between these two the current Kelowna team is without question the better squad. As long as Kelowna's goaltending holds up I can't see any scenario in which the Winterhawks win.

This might not be the same Winterhawks team, but this years rendition beat Kelowna in 3 of 4 matchups (albeit 2 were OT wins).

They're a bad matchup for the Rockets. I still think Kelowna takes it, but they better show up playing well.

Calgary-Brandon is such an intriguing matchup. Both have excellent blueline corps.

I hope it goes 7 just for the hockey, it should be a great series with a lot of violence.

Hordichuk_24

This might not be the same Winterhawks team, but this years rendition beat Kelowna in 3 of 4 matchups (albeit 2 were OT wins).

Was Kelowna healthy for all those games? Keep in mind they were missing some key members down the stretch of the regular season. Also how many of those games were played prior to the late season acquisitions?

arsmaster said:
They're a bad matchup for the Rockets. I still think Kelowna takes it, but they better show up playing well.

Portland isn't ideal but it was expected these two teams meet up at this stage, IMO. And I don't think it's as bad for Kelowna now than it has been in the past. Portland isn't as strong and Kelowna is stronger than they were in years past. The only potential area of concern in my opinion is if Kelowna's goaltending fails (which I don't expect, for the record). That would give Portland an opportunity. But Kelowna is better in basically every other facet of the game, IMO.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
If the Rockets D doesn't have the clamps on Bjorkstrand, with the goalkeeping issues, it can be a very long series. You can't give him space.

Jamie Kompon pulled a little line-juggling act against Everett and got it to work. The possibility of two scoring lines against Kelowna isn't that bad.

But I can't say Portland's defense has four wins in them. Adin Hill might, but he very likely still needs help to get there.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Quite the game in Brandon. 9-4 Wheat Kings. You can tell these teams hate each other already if you go look at the penalty sheet :laugh:

Should be a great game 2.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Has anything been announced about Virtanen's suspension? He was given a "TBA" suspension before game #2 for his hit on Kaspick, but I haven't heard an official length.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Apparently he gets 3 games. That is including the one he missed Saturday. So he will miss games 3 and 4 and be eligible to return for a possible game 5 in Brandon Friday night.

Hordichuk_24

I'm really regretting paying for this WHL stream. Really choppy and crappy quality.

Portland feed? It's been like that ALL season long. I've complained a number of times to both the Winterhawks and Neulion and nobody has even responded once. It's beyond ridiculous. Two teams feeds were like that all season. Portland and Moose Jaw. And I guess nobody cared enough to fix the problem. For comparison neither of those two teams had this problem last season. Or the seasons previous.

Annoying as hell given the amount of money they charge. Not to mention in my opinion the playoffs this season have been possibly the least entertaining I have seen at this level ever. I see many talking about how exciting and great the games are but I couldn't disagree more. Not a lot of physical play and a ton of cheap, chintzy penalty calls made. Calls that shouldn't be made in the regular season never mind the playoffs. I suppose a lot of that is just the inevitable change in the sport and how it's played/officiated. But it flat out sucks, IMO.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I did get it figured out.

Running the streams on Wifi internet = not good.

Still choppy on LAN but better. Still not sure it's worth the price.

Also, damn, Portland is a monster again this year.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Portland being this good at this stage was unexpected to me. New coach, the league-enforced BS, so much departed high-end talent. The early stage of this season was a mess but I couldn't be more proud that they're getting it done.

I didn't think this team had a prayer of getting to the post season earlier this year.

Hordichuk_24

I did get it figured out.

Running the streams on Wifi internet = not good.

Still choppy on LAN but better. Still not sure it's worth the price.

Also, damn, Portland is a monster again this year.

So there was some improvement after making that change? That surprises me. Most other teams' feed play fine without issue. Whether that be using WIFI, or the straight feed from the modem. I seem to have the same problem with Portland's feed regardless of set up. It's an issue on either their end (or Neulion). Likely the latter. It makes buying a game in Portland (or Moose Jaw as I stated previously) not worth it at all.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So there was some improvement after making that change? That surprises me. Most other teams' feed play fine without issue. Whether that be using WIFI, or the straight feed from the modem. I seem to have the same problem with Portland's feed regardless of set up. It's an issue on either their end (or Neulion). Likely the latter. It makes buying a game in Portland (or Moose Jaw as I stated previously) not worth it at all.

Yeah, it wasn't freezing every couple of minutes but it was super choppy.

Wasn't impressed whatsoever.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Last night, Kelowna took their skating team and tried to challenge the Winterhawks to a fight. Kind of "been there/done that" for Portland. Odd choice in a playoff game against a team with plenty of speed.

While there were 4 Winterhawk PP goals last night, the 2nd goal (at even strength) was most telling. Keoni Texeira just walked through the Rockets' defense and buried the shot. Ridiculous. Too ridiculous... as if Kelowna gave up the first goal and pretty much conceded the game, something which I'm not sure isn't a cogent observation of how the Winterhawks play.

The first period was tight enough to tell me that the first goal is just that important in this series. It's anything but over.

Hordichuk_24

Yeah, it wasn't freezing every couple of minutes but it was super choppy.

Wasn't impressed whatsoever.

That sounds "normal" as far as the Portland feed goes. I wish you made mention of possibly ordering the game as I could have warned you prior. If you do want to watch another game of this series wait until tomorrow night (or a potential game 7) when both games will be broadcast in Kelowna. The Rockets have a pretty good video feed as far as webcast goes.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
That sounds "normal" as far as the Portland feed goes. I wish you made mention of possibly ordering the game as I could have warned you prior. If you do want to watch another game of this series wait until tomorrow night (or a potential game 7) when both games will be broadcast in Kelowna. The Rockets have a pretty good video feed as far as webcast goes.

It seriously felt like I was watching a strobe light, lol.

Hordichuk_24

It seriously felt like I was watching a strobe light, lol.

I can relate. Every time I tried to watch a Portland game this season either I gave up at some point or I ended up with a headache or sore eyes due to the constant pauses and changes in picture brightness due to the pauses. I just don't get. Ever since the webcast started in 05 the Portland feed has played fine. The quality wasn't the greatest but the play back was normal without the pauses and choppiness. But this year it's never been right since day one. And nobody seems to care about correcting the issue. :shakehead

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Man the Wheaties are just a powerhouse this year. I think the Ed Chynoweth Cup is theirs to lose this year.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Man the Wheaties are just a powerhouse this year. I think the Ed Chynoweth Cup is theirs to lose this year.

It is going to be crazy close no matter who they play I think. Not sure who I would prefer though.

What looks like the most likely right now is Kelowna. They looked un stoppable for most the season, but haven't been quite the same since March (judging by box scores mainly, have only caught one of their games). They have some big names that can burn you any game though. What would be their weakness? Defense?

I am not sure how I feel about Portland (besides the fact that they have two awesome Jet prospects :D). They have two crazy offensive weapons that can win game by themselves (Bjorkstrand and Petan). If Brandon cant shut them down, then the lose, but if they do, they should win for sure.

I think it will come down to who has the hotter goaltender though. If Papirny plays like he did last night, then Brandon's chances look pretty good.

Side note: Wheat Kings lost to Kelowna 6-1 in their only meeting, and beat Portland 10-3 in their only meeting. So take that for what it is worth (not much).

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada

I wouldn't go that far. I thin that Kelowna will get past Portland and then will dispatch Brandon. Won't be easy, but they just have too much. Sure Kelowna hasn't been as good as earlier in the season, but when push comes to shove, they will get it done.

Hordichuk_24

I wouldn't go that far. I thin that Kelowna will get past Portland and then will dispatch Brandon. Won't be easy, but they just have too much. Sure Kelowna hasn't been as good as earlier in the season, but when push comes to shove, they will get it done.

I have believed that most of the season. I felt Kelowna was without a doubt the best team in the league, especially post trade deadline. Even though I did see some potential problems in their game post trade deadline. However, now, my feeling is different. Something doesn't feel right to me about the Rockets. I don't think their player chemistry ever fully came to fruition. Factor that with some of the injury woes they are facing and that becomes a much harder mountain to climb. I wasn't a big Brandon believer most of the year. But if these two teams face one another in the finals I'm not nearly as confident about the Rockets odds as I once was. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Wheat Kings won. Their defense and goaltending have held up much better than I anticipated.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Kelowna's goaltending is my main problem. Whistle has never really impressed me, and if he isn't playing well, the team is in trouble especially against high powered teams like Portland and Brandon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad