2015 WHL Playoff thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hordichuk_24

Kelowna's goaltending is my main problem. Whistle has never really impressed me, and if he isn't playing well, the team is in trouble especially against high powered teams like Portland and Brandon.

If there is a potential weakness in their game I would agree it's probably goaltending. But I have watched Whistle since he was 15. I do believe he is a capable goaltender. He can be a bit inconsistent but I wouldn't say goaltending is a glaring hole on that team. I would argue goaltending isn't Brandon's strength either. So they are similar in that regard. I like Kelowna more than Brandon in most other areas. On paper. But as I stated earlier...something appears off to me with the Rockets whereas I don't sense that with the Wheat Kings.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
If there is a potential weakness in their game I would agree it's probably goaltending. But I have watched Whistle since he was 15. I do believe he is a capable goaltender. He can be a bit inconsistent but I wouldn't say goaltending is a glaring hole on that team. I would argue goaltending isn't Brandon's strength either. So they are similar in that regard. I like Kelowna more than Brandon in most other areas. On paper. But as I stated earlier...something appears off to me with the Rockets whereas I don't sense that with the Wheat Kings.

I agreed with you on the goaltending front earlier this year, but Papirny has probably been the WK's MVP in the playoffs. His worst games so far have been a 4-1 loss to Edmonton and a 9-4 win vs Calgary. This gives him a 2.17 GAA and a .932 through 15 games. Brandon could of easily been down 3 or 4 zip after 1 on Friday, but Papirny was a brick wall.

If he is solid, Brandon wins this series, but if he is even a little off, then Kelowna takes it.

Brandon in 7. Lets do this.

Hordichuk_24

I agreed with you on the goaltending front earlier this year, but Papirny has probably been the WK's MVP in the playoffs.

Papirny has been better than I expected. The same for Brandon's defense. The other potential area of concern I had for them was a lack of grit. But really there hasn't been much physicality at all this playoffs. So it's been a total non factor. Kind of sad really but that is another topic.

It will be an interesting finals. I'll miss most of it unfortunately. But it's a toss up. I can foresee either team coming out on top. Typically in the finals I am able to pick a winner without much difficulty. Not this time.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Wow Kelowna vs Brandon WHL Final! Couldnt ask for a better matchup IMO.

2 Best teams in the league seperated only by 2 points...

First Finals since 2010 to not involve Portland or Edmonton :amazed:

Should be a great WHL Final and the Dub will be well represented at the Memorial Cup regardless of who wins :handclap: :yo:

Also props to Portland for still doing so well after all those great players moved on

Last edited:

yrocsnikta018

Apr 27, 2015
Brandon
WHL fans are in for a treat. Top two teams throughout the season by a large margin, should be a great series. I don't think it'll take too long for emotions to ramp up in the final despite having only played once in the regular season, a 6-1 Kelowna win in Kelowna. A score which flattered the Rockets IMO, as Whistle stood on his head and the Wheaties hit several posts in the second period before getting into penalty trouble in the third.
I think the difference in this one comes down to the guys between the pipes. Papirny has been a rock for the Wheaties all playoffs, and seems to have a knack for stepping up in big games. Whistle can be hit or miss, and was pulled again tonight.
Both teams are relatively healthy, Brandon played the Calgary series without Duke, Kaspick and Clague, haven't heard any updates on their status for Friday. I believe Kelowna played tonight without Chartier? Not sure on his status either but that would be a big loss.
I believe the series will be played in a 2-3-2 format so it's imperative that the Wheaties get off to a good start at home. I think it's a toss up but my homer side has to say Brandon in 7. Enjoy!

spfan

May 4, 2009
Guessed 2 series completely right again. 4/4 for winning team. 11/12 overall

Brandon in 6

Kelowna in 6

Should be 2 tough series, but overall these 2 teams are too powerful. Even with injuries, they've been dominant.

Guessed 1 series completely right. 2/2 for winning team. 13/14 overall.

No surprise that's it's these 2 teams.
Kelowna is the team of stars, but I think Brandon is the better team.

Brandon in 7

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Dube and Baillie were so good for Kelowna in games 5 and 6. Hope they can keep that chemistry going vs Brandon.

kiable

Dec 15, 2014
WHL fans are in for a treat. Top two teams throughout the season by a large margin, should be a great series. I don't think it'll take too long for emotions to ramp up in the final despite having only played once in the regular season, a 6-1 Kelowna win in Kelowna. A score which flattered the Rockets IMO, as Whistle stood on his head and the Wheaties hit several posts in the second period before getting into penalty trouble in the third.
I think the difference in this one comes down to the guys between the pipes. Papirny has been a rock for the Wheaties all playoffs, and seems to have a knack for stepping up in big games. Whistle can be hit or miss, and was pulled again tonight.
Both teams are relatively healthy, Brandon played the Calgary series without Duke, Kaspick and Clague, haven't heard any updates on their status for Friday. I believe Kelowna played tonight without Chartier? Not sure on his status either but that would be a big loss.
I believe the series will be played in a 2-3-2 format so it's imperative that the Wheaties get off to a good start at home. I think it's a toss up but my homer side has to say Brandon in 7. Enjoy!
That game in Kelowna was a strange one. The score really didn't reflect the game as Brandon was dominant until the third and the goaltending and penalty issues came up. Papirny has really stepped it up as has Brandons defence and with Brandon getting healthy their offense has rally started to wake up to regular season form. Looks like Kelowna may be without some key pieces and they have had some inconsistent goaltending. With all that I'm gonna say Brandon in 5

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Hopefully the Rockets get Chartier back, no idea where he's at though... shame that Goulbourne is out too.

Heard Quinney, Morrissey and Kirkland are all playing through significant injuries. After 4 rounds I guess you have to expect it but those are some big players for Kelowna.

What kind of shape is Brandon in - any important players out or injured?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Hopefully the Rockets get Chartier back, no idea where he's at though... shame that Goulbourne is out too.

Heard Quinney, Morrissey and Kirkland are all playing through significant injuries. After 4 rounds I guess you have to expect it but those are some big players for Kelowna.

What kind of shape is Brandon in - any important players out or injured?

Most important would be Reid Duke (52 pts in 57 games).

Other than that, Kale Clague (16 year old D), Quinton Lisoway (veteran D, out for the rest of the year) and Tanner Kaspick (16 year old forward).

I believe Provorov is a little dinged up, but he will play. Same could maybe be said for Pilon. He looked very off vs Calgary.

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
Most important would be Reid Duke (52 pts in 57 games).

Other than that, Kale Clague (16 year old D), Quinton Lisoway (veteran D, out for the rest of the year) and Tanner Kaspick (16 year old forward).

I believe Provorov is a little dinged up, but he will play. Same could maybe be said for Pilon. He looked very off vs Calgary.

Duke, Kaspick and Clague have all been practicing from what i understand and either of them may be ready to go friday night

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
With the injuries Kelowna now has, and Brandon having home ice, I have to say, Brandon in 7.
I think the Rocket's saw a great window of opportunity this year, so they went and got Morrisey and Draisaitl, and it's paid off, but not as well as they would have liked.
Whistle in net is inconsistent, and in the playoffs that will hurt a team.
The homer in me obviously says the Rockets can overcome those things, but realistically, these 2 teams are so evenly matched I see Brandon heading to the Memorial Cup.
But whichever team it is, the WHL will be well represented.
Should be a great series.
Go Rockets!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
My gut says Kelowna should win but missing guys like Goulbourne and potentially Chartier hurts them big time. I know Brandon is banged up too, but man, that's 2/3 of their dominant top line in Kelowna.

I won't be shocked either way in the end.

yrocsnikta018

Apr 27, 2015
Brandon
I figured Kaspick and Clague may be ready, but didn't know Duke would be. Nice!

Any idea what he has been battling?

Not exactly sure what the injury is, but I believe it stems from a hit he took from Gabrielle in game 5 against Regina. He went awkwardly into the boards, almost looked to be a shoulder. Good to see all the bodies back to practice, and aside from Lisoway, they look to be about as healthy as they can be at this time of year. Which bodes well from them as they'll need to rely on their depth to beat Kelowna.

Papirny named WHL goalie of the month this morning, a well deserved honour for a guy that's flown under the radar most of the year.

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
I figured Kaspick and Clague may be ready, but didn't know Duke would be. Nice!

Any idea what he has been battling?

Kelly does not like to make anything public but i think it was his shoulder. But all three were full participants mondays practice and even if Kaspick and Duke are ready Friday that makes our depth that much better. That is going to be something that we are going to need because Kelowna as a pretty good D line. It would be harder to check Clague back in due to the fact that our D has been solid as of late so it would be hard to see who they bench if he is ready.

I am so excited for this series both teams are exciting to watch and this could be one of the most exciting finals we have seen for a while.....

Also on a side note i was curious to see what kind of tickets were left in the keystone and game 1 is almost all sold out.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Rockets in 7 (and they have to win both game 6 and 7 in brandon, meaning they will be down 3-2 going back to Brandon.)

Dry-saddle Turns it on and Brandon can't handle him. Gonna be a fun one!

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Tough loss. First time since game 1 of round 1 that I felt Brandon was not the better team. Kelowna shut them down in the offensive zone all night and they couldn't get it going.

Papirny made two unreal glove saves, but also let in two really weak back breaking goals. He has even one of thosem and it may be a 1-0 Brandon series right now.

Game 2 tomorrow night (or today I guess) should be awesome. The Wheaties know they need to win, because they cannot go into Kelowna down 2-0 in a 2-3-2 series.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Papirny's save on Chartier at the end of the 1st was larceny. Too bad he let in 2 quick ones to start the 2nd which really changed the game.

I was really impressed by Gatenby. Kid doesn't produce much but he's a great defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad