2015 WHL Playoff thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Sweeping the first two games in Brandon is absolutely huge. The 2-3-2 really gives them a huge advantage now.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He's looked dangerous. I love how he keeps his feet moving and draws penalties, that's an underrated aspect of him game. Had a nice goal on a really good Kelowna shift, got into open space and snapped it home. He made a nice breakaway pass to Merkley for the game winner too.

He's taken a couple of hard hits I've noticed. Brandon in general has been very physical.

So who called Kelowna going up 2-0?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Winterhawks looked far more dangerous than the Wheaties. Faster and more skilled and yet the Rockets adapted and won.

I think this series goes to 5 or 6 for Kelowna.

yrocsnikta018

Apr 27, 2015
Brandon
They say every team has to fight through adversity on a long playoff run, and I'd say the Wheaties have found some. Down 2-0 with 3 in a row in Kelowna is quite a hole to have to dig out of. It'll be interesting to see how they respond in game 3.
That said, I thought they not only controlled the play in the final 2 periods last night, you could say they dominated at times. They missed a few wide open chances and Jackson Whistle was stellar. A missed 2 on 1 and a bad bounce off the glass stanchion led to the shorthanded chance and Merkley capitalized, which killed all momentum and sucked the life out of the building. The Wheaties never really recovered from that.
I think it goes without saying that game 3 is an absolute must have for Brandon, and I expect them to come out strong. They were an excellent road team all year, and if they can get the win Monday night the complexion of the series will be much different. Here's hoping they can get it back to Brandon next Sunday.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
From what I saw... at no time did I think Kelowna was going to lose even when the Wheaties mounted a comeback. The Winterhawks made the Rockets look like a bottom-feeder at time with their speed and skill, but the Rockets were able to clamp down defensively and score opportune goals.

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
They say every team has to fight through adversity on a long playoff run, and I'd say the Wheaties have found some. Down 2-0 with 3 in a row in Kelowna is quite a hole to have to dig out of. It'll be interesting to see how they respond in game 3.
That said, I thought they not only controlled the play in the final 2 periods last night, you could say they dominated at times. They missed a few wide open chances and Jackson Whistle was stellar. A missed 2 on 1 and a bad bounce off the glass stanchion led to the shorthanded chance and Merkley capitalized, which killed all momentum and sucked the life out of the building. The Wheaties never really recovered from that.
I think it goes without saying that game 3 is an absolute must have for Brandon, and I expect them to come out strong. They were an excellent road team all year, and if they can get the win Monday night the complexion of the series will be much different. Here's hoping they can get it back to Brandon next Sunday.

Lol. That whole message stinks of bitterness. Better team has won twice now, face it m8.

yrocsnikta018

Apr 27, 2015
Brandon
Lol. That whole message stinks of bitterness. Better team has won twice now, face it m8.

Absolutely I'm bitter, being a Wheaties fan. Dominated was probably too strong of a word but I disagree that Kelowna was the better team in game 2. They got strong goaltending and buried the chances they did get, which was enough to win.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I now see what people mean when they said Kelowna has "it". Brandon did out play them yesterday IMO, but they just seem to find a way to win. Too many big names out there.

If they can win tomorrow, they are right back in it. But they are done if they lose.

Either way, I am proud of them. They are a team that is built for next year and ended up winning the Scotty and making the finals. I cannot even imagine what next year will be like.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I now see what people mean when they said Kelowna has "it". Brandon did out play them yesterday IMO, but they just seem to find a way to win. Too many big names out there.

If they can win tomorrow, they are right back in it. But they are done if they lose.

Either way, I am proud of them. They are a team that is built for next year and ended up winning the Scotty and making the finals. I cannot even imagine what next year will be like.

Kinda scary. Too early to say, but the East could be a cakewalk for Brandon. Also, the Silvertips look poised to have a great season.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
It is going to be real hard for anyone to come in here (Kelowna) and take 2 of 3 or 3 of 3. During the Portland series I have never heard the crowd so loud (except when we won the Memorial Cup here on home ice). Prospera is going to be crazy.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Kelowna gets a 3-1 lead, Brandon comes back, but in the end Kelowna is too much.

There's too many weapons on this team. Baillie and Dube have been great, the top line is always dominating. And then you have Morrissey and Bowey breaking the puck out with ease. Plus the 3rd and 4th line's can play dependable hockey. I think I saw Kirkland playing on the 4th line tonight, that's damn impressive depth.

Kelowna just moves the puck so quickly, they pass so well and transition so fast. It seems like they're hardly defending.

Also where has John Quenneville been all series?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Sigh :(

Was expecting a closer series than this. Certainly did not expect a 3-0 hole.

Kelowna is just so good. They just find a way to win, Brandon makes it close, but they find a way to close it out. Pretty sure they win the Memorial Cup.

I really hope they can squeak out two wins here and come back to Brandon. I am not ready for it to end.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
Series isn't over yet and while it doesn't look good for the Wheat Kings, they are a good team and I've seen an 0-3 comeback with my own eyes. Regardless of what happens, the Wheat Kings were considered a "next year" team and the fact they have gotten this close this year is amazing.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
The Rockets look unstoppable right now.

I didn't expect this much domination over the WK's (maybe domination is the wrong word). Memorial Cup should be a dandy this year, just wish Mcdavid was gonna be there (still could be).

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Boom, Brandon = swept.

I heard during the game that Kelowna is 52-2 when leading after the second.. make it 53-2 now.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Congrats Rockets! Was able to clamp it down and play solid safe hockey against the Wheaties. Again, the Winterhawks caused havoc and were the more dangerous opponent.

On to the Memorial Cup!

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
What a game, what a team what a win..... Portland was a tougher opponent than Brandon. Shows u how weak the east really was this year.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Kelowna is just so good. Whenever the Wheaties got something going, they fired right back.

Congrats guys! Good luck at the Mem Cup! Represent the dub well! :nod:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kelowna was the best team from start of the season til the finish, even when they didn't have Draisaitl or Morrissey, they were still the best team.

Surprised that Wheat Kings didn't put much of a fight (they did, but not to the series), they are younger than the Rockets, but they didn't really have a huge test from the East (which I consider to be the better of the two conferences). They were still favourites, even against the Oil Kings.

Kelowna didn't have a test either, but definitely faced the toughest team against the Winterhawks with the Bjorkstrand/Petan combo.

Now with an actual goaltender, I think it is Kelowna's Memorial Cup to lose, no more Guggenberger. :sarcasm:

Also I gotta lol at the prospect board and all the posts concerning Draisaitl's "lack of effort".

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Top notch season from the Rockets, really schooled the Wheaties in the final. That Brandon team will be back though, they look to be in insane form next year with all the returning players. Keep the Mem Cup in the west Kelowna!

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
Less than 4 hours to puck drop.
Let's go Rockets, make Hamilton look like a genius with his trade deadline pickups and get the Memorial Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad