2015 WHL Playoff thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiable

Dec 15, 2014
WHL officiating was in fine form last night :shakehead

Never seen so many blown calls in my life.

At least they won.

I can understand maybe to an extent that the league wants to keep the games close and competitive in the playoffs but that was simply embarrassing.

Hordichuk_24

What exactly did Chase do to get a game misconduct, I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything that bad, the reffing tonight was pretty bad, despite that the Royals almost did it.

I'm not entirely sure. I was trying to figure that out at the time. Knowing Chase it could be something as simple as running his mouth. He is very good at that. I hate the notion that any player gets tossed for that reason (not just talking about this particular incident, I don't think that is warranted or justified in just about any situation). But that was certainly a bold call in a playoff game. And having a guy like Chase in that kind of game could have been significant for Victoria.

Regardless they will have to manage to do something at home. It sounds like Kelowna may have lost Morrissey once again so this could be the break they need.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
Im going to the game tonight. Hope Joe is strong on the back end and Magee can bang one in for my client(hes met a few Royals in the hospital) and Magee has came to visit us a few times.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Im going to the game tonight. Hope Joe is strong on the back end and Magee can bang one in for my client(hes met a few Royals in the hospital) and Magee has came to visit us a few times.

I expect Victoria to come out hard, if they are gonna win a game or two in this series, its gonna need to start tonight.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I completely missed the playoff sticky and was talking to myself in the regular season thread.. My mom always said I was a little slow..

Pats win a great hockey game 3-2.

I think I heard it was their first 2nd round win since 1989. Congrats to em.

Also: Draisaitl is looking unreal this playoffs. Can anyone stop him?

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
Rockets are lucky to be up 3-0, especially winning game 2. But that's what good teams do. Play poorly and weather the storm and then cash in on their chances. Victoria had about 4 chances in the 1st to put the game away, but didn't, and then Draisaitl did his thing. He's a man among boys right now.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Rockets are lucky to be up 3-0, especially winning game 2. But that's what good teams do. Play poorly and weather the storm and then cash in on their chances. Victoria had about 4 chances in the 1st to put the game away, but didn't, and then Draisaitl did his thing. He's a man among boys right now.

Yea, Vic could have easily had that second game. I'm not sure I like their chances tonight, they seem to get off their game quite easily, and I don't know how they will react being down 3-0.

Regina Pat

Keep Kadri
May 16, 2010
The ODR
I completely missed the playoff sticky and was talking to myself in the regular season thread.. My mom always said I was a little slow..

Pats win a great hockey game 3-2.

I think I heard it was their first 2nd round win since 1989. Congrats to em.

Also: Draisaitl is looking unreal this playoffs. Can anyone stop him?

Close. First 2nd round won since 98. Also against the Wheaties.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Close. First 2nd round won since 98. Also against the Wheaties.

I knew it involved the numbers 8 and 9, just wasn't sure the order :P. Thanks.

Too bad they lost tonight. a 2-2 series is a lot different than a 3-1 series

Edit: WOW What a night of WHL hockey. All games went to OT, and the royals come back from 4-2 to live another day.

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

Right you are.

Or am I? Maybe the Royals are going to prove me wrong now? ;)

In all seriousness good for them managing to come back and get the victory. Again I thought the officiating was atrocious. It really makes these games hard for me to watch. Also makes me feel old and bitter complaining about the game and how it's now different (and not for the better) but I'll refrain from that rant...for now. I still can't see Victoria winning three straight but I guess we will find out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Draisaitl has been on a completely different level since joining the Rockets in the first place IMO.

Even though he is not close to Ehlers point total (or pace I believe), the amount of plays he creates which does not go in the back of the net is outstanding. Sucks that he was draft by the Oilers, because if he was on a better and more established NHL club, he could EASILY be PPG player potential IMO.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Oh for sure, he's been totally dominant this series too.

All 4 games on tonight. Which one will you guys be checking out?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
That was an awesome game last night. Wapple played outstanding, it could of been at least 6-2.

Onto the Hitmen. Think it will be an awesome series. At least 6 games.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Still not happy about game 2, but as with most, I had no delusions that the Royals had any chance of winning this series.

Hordichuk_24

Still not happy about game 2, but as with most, I had no delusions that the Royals had any chance of winning this series.

If I were a Royals fan I'd be angry about the officiating as it was atrocious most of the series. I come to expect that sadly but it was even worse than usual in this series, IMO. Hockey is supposed to be physical. Just because a hit is loud or a player stays on the ice doesn't mean a penalty is warranted. I guess nowadays it does. Truly sad.

And to any who think I am implying the officiating decided the outcome of this series let me clarify I am not. Either way Kelowna wins. But I felt many of the calls and more specifically the timing of a few of them made it much easier for the Rockets to win.

Previously in this thread I mentioned how I didn't think this series would be as physical as many suggested (mainly because the last few regular season meetings between these two teams were relatively tame at least by my standards) and I think that prediction turned out true. But largely due to officiating. It pretty much killed any opportunity for a good physical series, IMO. Happens all too often now. I guess I'm in the minority but I hate it.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Got 2 series completely right. 7/8 for winning team.

Brandon in 5
Calgary in 6

Kelowna in 5
Portland in 4

Guessed 2 series completely right again. 4/4 for winning team. 11/12 overall

Brandon in 6

Kelowna in 6

Should be 2 tough series, but overall these 2 teams are too powerful. Even with injuries, they've been dominant.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I've gone against the Hawks twice already, might as well keep it up. Having not seen any of the Western hockey this is a very uniformed pick but I think Kelowna will take it in 5. They seem to be gaining speed and will roll through Portland.

In the East, I'm a bit torn. Brandon has looked good but not as good as I expected. They could have lost a couple of games to Regina but pulled off the wins. The Hitmen, on the other hand, seem to be doing the same thing as Kelowna and gaining speed. Goaltending was an issue in the first round but Shields really got it together in round 2. If he keeps it up, I can see Calgary taking the series. The other big factor is how much time the Hitmen spend in the box. 5 on 5 they are one of the best teams in the league but they really struggle when the game flow gets broken. I think Calgary in 6. If it goes the distance, Brandon will take it in 7 at home.

Hordichuk_24

3rd Round Predictions

Calgary vs Brandon - Wheat Kings in 6. Complete toss up here. I'm just going with my gut. I think you could make a valid argument for either team. These were the two teams I expected to meet in the Eastern finals. The same can be said about the two Western finalists.

Portland vs Kelowna - Rockets in 6. This isn't the same Portland team from years past and unlike prior playoff meetings between these two the current Kelowna team is without question the better squad. As long as Kelowna's goaltending holds up I can't see any scenario in which the Winterhawks win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad