Speculation: 2015 Trade Deadline Thread II (Deadline: 3/2 3PM EST)

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
The biggest hole is the loss of the big RH shot on the PP. The organization clearly thinks the young guys have pushed for his time. Connauton has a big shot (though LH) and Murray (injury risk) is more than capable of playing the minutes and the specialty teams. Goloubef (limited experience) has shown well and Prout (no idea :) ) can support the PK and is a big body with reasonable skating (he's not my favorite guy).

I think the overall skill will be offset just fine but his leadership and experience will be missed. I do think that Murray is a big part of this picture. I understand the concern due to his rough year injury wise.

Any success those players have had have been as lower pairing Dman, they all move up a spot now. Murray cannot be counted on at this point, if you count on that, youre painting yourself into a corner if he gets injured again, which sadly is a high probability.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
We'll have to agree to disagree on future.
I think last season the team over achieved and went as far as it could.
This year the injury bug hurt but still it was a team that was at best a 6h-8th place team and likely a 8-9th place team in the East.
Again I would rather take our medicine (like we should have numerous times in the past) and get a couple top 3 picks.

Either way I'll still be fan, but I just think the franchise uses all resources to be average instead of thinking long term.

I agree for the most part, though I don't think we need to burn it all to the ground in order to get to the promised land.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That explains why there are no Michelin babies. :sarcasm:

BxDueO0CAAAJ-Aq.jpg

thebus2288*

As I said in more depth in the "Wiz traded thread", the move was so nonsensical that it must be the result of some major, and very, very personal rupture in the relationship between Wiz and the Team's Management. The move simply cannot be explained solely on the basis of hockey strategy.

Or, it could. Having a part in scoring 2 goals, then having a part in getting scored on 3 times is not good for a team.

Sekera, Yandle and Coburn were all better than Wiz. I know we don't want to believe that because of the offensive statistics but simply watching them on the ice they are better skaters, smarter players and all handle 3 zone play (well, Yandle may not completely fit that in his own zone). I liked Wiz and know he helped this team and was a heart and soul guy. That's going to be touch to replace but I don't think he was on the level as a player like the ones mentioned above. Just my opinion which doesn't amount to a cup of coffee...

This. And another thing you guys don't wanna come to terms with is that GM's around the league don't see Wiz's cap hit matching the "value" he brings to a team.

I didn't see it as personal, I saw it as a front office that didn't sign Wiz getting that cap space back in order to find players more suited to their vision. To me, it makes sense to move a contract like Wiz's. He is not a big part of the future and they were able to get a pretty good prospect and a pick and give them some flexibility.

This too. With the amount of offensive defensemen we have, the money (be it 5.5, 4, whatever) being spent on Wiz would be better put into a more solid 2 way guy or even a defensive minded guy that costs half of what Wiz does. Not to mention these "1sts!!" everybody wanted would've been a late 1st. It could be argued that Karlsson is worth that right now. Boone Jenner was drafted in the 2nd OMG!!

But this still makes no sense. Wiz wasnt being pushed out by younger talent, or depth, but now we have a hole with no one to fill it. I could understand if there was a log jam of top quality defensman, but thats not the case here. If they arent able to land a top 4 dman via UFA or via trade, then you can take that whole d corp and move them up a spot, not something that leaves me with a lot of confidence. They sold low because they HAD to move him instead of waiting for his final year of his contract.

He was being pushed out by younger/cheaper talent. Cannauton especially made him expendable. Savard also. And Johnson has offensive talent that has not been utilized correctly since his early time here because we've had Wiz. You guys wanna act like Murray will be hurt every year, but he's another guy that I'd rather have the puck in the offensive zone over Wiz. Cannauton to me is a complete, younger/more athletic version of Wiz. They didn't sell low on Wiz. He just didn't help the return, at all. And yet he seems to still be looked at favorably because of that. "He wanted to stay"!! "He loves us"!!

Fair enough. I believe Sekera is a UFA also. I think maybe the cap hit might have devalued the deal a little but I've also heard several very positive things on Karlsson and that he's highly rated. The question is can this team overcome a loss in the offensive zone? I felt like the CBJ was (remains) a playoff team with the group they had. Removing a piece that is a major impact to the PP (which has a significant impact on games) and not having a replacement (they must think they do) could pose real problems next year.

This is all true. Lets see what Savard, Cannauton and Johnson can do on the PP the rest of the year. Give Tyutin some time. He's another guy that has some "low key" offensive abilities that I think many of you have forgotten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad