Speculation: 2015 Trade Deadline Thread II (Deadline: 3/2 3PM EST)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So... I would like to say that this has been a pretty depressing season followed up with an equally depressing trade deadline. Our front office screwed up with Horton and now we have a very questionable contract as the reward. While I like that we have Karlsson, I'm not happy how we got him.

The Leopold deal was meh. We ended up dropping another draft pick; not sure JS is worth that. We already had a log jam of D fighting to make the team.

I give the front office an F for how they have handled things this season.

Not sure where we are going from here. The FA pool is crap; not sure we're going to get anyone. We just have to allow this core to develop another year.

I'm not exactly sour on the front office yet, but another season of this... injuries or no...

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
So... I would like to say that this has been a pretty depressing season followed up with an equally depressing trade deadline. Our front office screwed up with Horton and now we have a very questionable contract as the reward. While I like that we have Karlsson, I'm not happy how we got him.

The Leopold deal was meh. We ended up dropping another draft pick; not sure JS is worth that. We already had a log jam of D fighting to make the team.

I give the front office an F for how they have handled things this season.

Not sure where we are going from here. The FA pool is crap; not sure we're going to get anyone. We just have to allow this core to develop another year.

I'm not exactly sour on the front office yet, but another season of this... injuries or no...

Good post.... the truth is, John Davidson is the General in crap who has failed!!!.... Our General and savior passed on Peter Laviolette who now coaches the best NHL team in the world....

This I know, John Davidson is good but he's also a stubborn SOB who listens to few.... he blew it passing on Laviolette when he had the chance, no balls!!!

BJfan

Sep 20, 2008
section 209
Hey, where is the email from the club touting our great new additions from the deadline? Can't believe they wont even attempt to put lipstick on this pig

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
The way Letestu's UFA status was handled during latest trade deadline should confirm that Derek MacKenzie or Blake Comeau weren't just allowed to walk like some prefer to see or put it. This team is still interested in retaining quality depth - as long as the price is right. Old MacKenzie (money, term) and Comeau (Malkin, contender) got their dream deals from the open market which shouldn't be that impossible scenario to imagine. After all they are usually touted to be quality depth players..

Replacing them wasn't going to be easy. Put it can be some day done with fifth round draft pick and some insight if it ever comes to that so maybe those two or even three leaving won't hold the organization back for another season.

BJfan

Sep 20, 2008
section 209
The way Letestu's UFA status was handled during latest trade deadline should confirm that Derek MacKenzie or Blake Comeau weren't just allowed to walk like some prefer to see or put it. This team is still interested in retaining quality depth - as long as the price is right. Old MacKenzie (money, term) and Comeau (Malkin, contender) got their dream deals from the open market which shouldn't be that impossible scenario to imagine. After all they are usually touted to be quality depth players..

Replacing them wasn't going to be easy. Put it can be some day done with fifth round draft pick and some insight if it ever comes to that so maybe those two or even three leaving won't hold the organization back for another season.

Poor asset management. Either sign him or trade him by 3pm yesterday if the numbers aren't close enough. Instead F.O. focus was on signing Cam, an RFA to an extension

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If they decide to blow it up go full Buffalo or don't go at all. :laugh:

Well that is the model most teams are following in different leagues. You either want to be Championship caliber (not just good enough to challenge for the playoffs)or you want to be really bad. Prime example is the 76ers in the NBA. THey trade every asset for picks (and they value 2nd round picks more than any other team).

As you can tell I buy into that philosophy 100%. There is no use in being a 90 point team in the NHL (unless you have a young roster that can easily be a Championship team the next year).

I hate the way we tinker with the roster each year, it's always a 80-90 point team. Bad enough to consistently miss the playoffs but just good enough to draft 5th-8th.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Since coming back, Anisimov has really shied away from contact and been a non-factor.

Ohhhhh no no no no, don't mention that or you'll be bashed for supposedly claiming he's not a good hockey player.

Trust me, its happened to me. :nod:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Well that is the model most teams are following in different leagues. You either want to be Championship caliber (not just good enough to challenge for the playoffs)or you want to be really bad. Prime example is the 76ers in the NBA. THey trade every asset for picks (and they value 2nd round picks more than any other team).

bad example - its much easier for college/young players to jump in to the NBA and contribute than it is in the NHL.

Edmonton will always be the prime example that hoarding high draft picks and sucking is not the best path to success in the NHL. in fact, Chicago and Pittsburgh are the only teams i can think of that this worked for and that was pure, dumb luck on the part of both teams.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
bad example - its much easier for college/young players to jump in to the NBA and contribute than it is in the NHL.

Edmonton will always be the prime example that hoarding high draft picks and sucking is not the best path to success in the NHL. in fact, Chicago and Pittsburgh are the only teams i can think of that this worked for and that was pure, dumb luck on the part of both teams.

But you like the Columbus model?

Also Chicago isn't dumb luck (my opinion) - they are largely based on analytics. That is how they select free agents, draft players, etc. The money ball of hockey. Now they do have to deal with players banging teammates wives/girl friends and such (ha ha - good luck fixing that, I mean it ever was talked about on Modern Family) but they did it the right way.

Pittsburgh was a lot of luck (2 top picks) but keep in mind they both have missed a lot of games with injuries and they keep chugging along with out their top player(s) at times.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
Had to chuckle this morning when I saw Olli Jokinen was traded for Joakim Lidstrom and a 6th rounder.

I remember heated debates from 8-10 years ago about acquiring Jokinen. Had we known Jokinen could be had for Lidstrom and a 6th, we'd have driven Lidstrom to the airport on a party bus.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Also Chicago isn't dumb luck (my opinion) - they are largely based on analytics.

Chicago is because they were lousy enough to draft high enough to get Toews, Kane and Seabrook. Then they were the ones fortunate enough to benefit from Duncan Keith being incredibly underrated in his draft year.

2 of the top 10 forwards and the best defensive pairing in the game because 1)they stunk 2)got lucky on Keith.

Maybe the Jackets will be the benefit of guys like Bjorkstrand and Reilly, guys that appear to have much higher ceilings than their draft spot.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Chicago is because they were lousy enough to draft high enough to get Toews, Kane and Seabrook. Then they were the ones fortunate enough to benefit from Duncan Keith being incredibly underrated in his draft year.

2 of the top 10 forwards and the best defensive pairing in the game because 1)they stunk 2)got lucky on Keith.

Maybe the Jackets will be the benefit of guys like Bjorkstrand and Reilly, guys that appear to have much higher ceilings than their draft spot.

Go back and read that is CBJ's problem - we are never bad enough to get a top pick. We are always just bad enough to draft 5-8th.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As I said in more depth in the "Wiz traded thread", the move was so nonsensical that it must be the result of some major, and very, very personal rupture in the relationship between Wiz and the Team's Management. The move simply cannot be explained solely on the basis of hockey strategy.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Look at what Sekera got. Look at the haul Yandle brought back. Jarmo is clueless or traded for the sake of trading. Dumb.

Sekera, Yandle and Coburn were all better than Wiz. I know we don't want to believe that because of the offensive statistics but simply watching them on the ice they are better skaters, smarter players and all handle 3 zone play (well, Yandle may not completely fit that in his own zone). I liked Wiz and know he helped this team and was a heart and soul guy. That's going to be touch to replace but I don't think he was on the level as a player like the ones mentioned above. Just my opinion which doesn't amount to a cup of coffee...

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
As I said in more depth in the "Wiz traded thread", the move was so nonsensical that it must be the result of some major, and very, very personal rupture in the relationship between Wiz and the Team's Management. The move simply cannot be explained solely on the basis of hockey strategy.

I didn't see it as personal, I saw it as a front office that didn't sign Wiz getting that cap space back in order to find players more suited to their vision. Why does everything have to be personal? There does not have to be a vindictive motive behind a move. I'm sure you'll see this as defending the FO, but I really didn't have a big problem with the move. To me, it makes sense to move a contract like Wiz's. He is not a big part of the future and they were able to get a pretty good prospect and a pick and give them some flexibility. Not great, but not the end of the world as many of you are feeling.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Sekera, Yandle and Coburn were all better than Wiz. I know we don't want to believe that because of the offensive statistics but simply watching them on the ice they are better skaters, smarter players and all handle 3 zone play (well, Yandle may not completely fit that in his own zone). I liked Wiz and know he helped this team and was a heart and soul guy. That's going to be touch to replace but I don't think he was on the level as a player like the ones mentioned above. Just my opinion which doesn't amount to a cup of coffee...

Yandle is a UFA. Anaheim gets Wiz (if they want) for TWO more years. I wasn't saying the hauls should be equal, but it should have been a tier below what those two brought back.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

I do actually. The playoff run was fun as hell last year. This year sucked with injuries. But we are going to get some damn nice prospects with our picks. I expect to be right back in the playoff race next year. No complaints from me at the moment. I do not think this franchise could afford to pull a Buffalo and suck for years on purpose.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I didn't see it as personal, I saw it as a front office that didn't sign Wiz getting that cap space back in order to find players more suited to their vision. Why does everything have to be personal? There does not have to be a vindictive motive behind a move. I'm sure you'll see this as defending the FO, but I really didn't have a big problem with the move. To me, it makes sense to move a contract like Wiz's. He is not a big part of the future and they were able to get a pretty good prospect and a pick and give them some flexibility. Not great, but not the end of the world as many of you are feeling.
But this still makes no sense. Wiz wasnt being pushed out by younger talent, or depth, but now we have a hole with no one to fill it. I could understand if there was a log jam of top quality defensman, but thats not the case here. If they arent able to land a top 4 dman via UFA or via trade, then you can take that whole d corp and move them up a spot, not something that leaves me with a lot of confidence. They sold low because they HAD to move him instead of waiting for his final year of his contract.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Yandle is a UFA. Anaheim gets Wiz (if they want) for TWO more years. I wasn't saying the hauls should be equal, but it should have been a tier below what those two brought back.

Fair enough. I believe Sekera is a UFA also. I think maybe the cap hit might have devalued the deal a little but I've also heard several very positive things on Karlsson and that he's highly rated. The question is can this team overcome a loss in the offensive zone? I felt like the CBJ was (remains) a playoff team with the group they had. Removing a piece that is a major impact to the PP (which has a significant impact on games) and not having a replacement (they must think they do) could pose real problems next year.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Im less concerned about losing a forward then I am a defensman. They need to land a top defensman or Bobs going to become the Michelin Man with how much rubber he's going to be facing

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
But this still makes no sense. Wiz wasnt being pushed out by younger talent, or depth, but now we have a hole with no one to fill it. I could understand if there was a log jam of top quality defensman, but thats not the case here. If they arent able to land a top 4 dman via UFA or via trade, then you can take that whole d corp and move them up a spot, not something that leaves me with a lot of confidence. They sold low because they HAD to move him instead of waiting for his final year of his contract.

The biggest hole is the loss of the big RH shot on the PP. The organization clearly thinks the young guys have pushed for his time. Connauton has a big shot (though LH) and Murray (injury risk) is more than capable of playing the minutes and the specialty teams. Goloubef (limited experience) has shown well and Prout (no idea :) ) can support the PK and is a big body with reasonable skating (he's not my favorite guy).

I think the overall skill will be offset just fine but his leadership and experience will be missed. I do think that Murray is a big part of this picture. I understand the concern due to his rough year injury wise.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
CBJin30's Trade Deadline Special with Bob McElligott and Jody Meatball Shelley took a bit puzzling turn when Wisniewski was traded for Rene Bourque...Neither had clearly any idea who William Karlsson (no wonder) is and both had to check out their phones while the another tries to come up with an explanation...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I do actually. The playoff run was fun as hell last year. This year sucked with injuries. But we are going to get some damn nice prospects with our picks. I expect to be right back in the playoff race next year. No complaints from me at the moment. I do not think this franchise could afford to pull a Buffalo and suck for years on purpose.

We'll have to agree to disagree on future.
I think last season the team over achieved and went as far as it could.
This year the injury bug hurt but still it was a team that was at best a 6h-8th place team and likely a 8-9th place team in the East.
Again I would rather take our medicine (like we should have numerous times in the past) and get a couple top 3 picks.

Either way I'll still be fan, but I just think the franchise uses all resources to be average instead of thinking long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad