Prospect Info: 2015 Prospect Development Camp

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Loney is trolling at this point.

That would have looked very stupid if he didn't score there, haha.

Was wondering what the heck kind of approach that was, but he made it work with the finish.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Only caught the second half, but I was obviously impressed with Loney and Sheary. Simon also looked very good. Lindo has a lot to work on, but he's not the hopeless case he's made out to be by people surfing hockeydb.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Only caught the second half, but I was obviously impressed with Loney and Sheary. Simon also looked very good. Lindo has a lot to work on, but he's not the hopeless case he's made out to be by people surfing hockeydb.

LIndo looks like he can be a very effective bump and grinder. Needs to work on skating, for sure. But looked good in traffic areas.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Looks like he can be a very effective bump and grinder. Needs to work on skating, for sure. But looked good in traffic areas.

I think his stick work looked like it needed the most work. There's a couple pucks that he should have knocked down that went right by him. On the bright side, he's already really, really strong even by NHL standards.

No rush. I'll expect to know whether or not he matters some time around 2020.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Lindo had good work ethic and was good on the boards and forecheck. He and Josephs did some nice work in those areas.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Didn't see the beginning, but for what it's worth, Sheary, Simon, Loney looked good. Skoff had a nice 30 in goal. I didn't think anyone on D particularly stood out, although Ruopp was decent. I didn't think DP looked dominant like I expected him to be.

For better or worse, a lot of these forwards haven't had the creativity coached out of them yet.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Loney definitely showed some skill today which surprised me. Big boy too.
Hope he can put it all together and become an NHL'er.
Just needs an extra gear in his skating.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Didn't see the beginning, but for what it's worth, Sheary, Simon, Loney looked good. Skoff had a nice 30 in goal. I didn't think anyone on D particularly stood out, although Ruopp was decent. I didn't think DP looked dominant like I expected him to be.

For better or worse, a lot of these forwards haven't had the creativity coached out of them yet.

Black team actually looked a little stronger in the beginning of the first half. Good oz time and puck possession but not enough shots, net-front presence and team play.

White team dominated the rest of the scrimmage.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Simon reminds me of the type of guy that Patrick would pull out of nowhere every year. Overhandles the puck a little, but protects it well enough that it doesn't get him into trouble. If you can pull that off, it's an asset, not a liability.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
so who looked like they could legitimately play in the NHL this year?

Pouliot.

Conor Sheary might be interesting to see as an injury call-up, but I think it's still unclear how well his game will translate at this point. Camp might show whether he's able to withstand NHL players.

Bleuger and Guentzel looked interesting as a defensive forwards, but they are both headed back to college.

Rust wasn't as impressive as I had hoped. He'll need to be much more impressive in camp or everyone (Wilson, Sundqvist, etc) else will have to be worse.

Murray didn't really have enough work to tell one way or another, but I can only see him as an injury call-up in any case.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
So the best offensive show of the day came from.someone on an ahl contract... never change pens.

Personally I think we're dreaming anybody but sundqvist makes a push on the fourth line. Hynes in the past got blood from a stone in the ahl but these callups have looked lost in the nhl.

Regardless I still say struggle through it instead of filling uhf bottom six with vets as usual. It's just frustrating considering what other teams have going on with developed talent in the bottom six.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
well we have a 4th line spot wide open even assuming Sundqvist will be there. So that doesn't sound great.

Maybe Rust will have a better camp or this was an off day?

If not, Wilson, Sheary (depending on his camp), or one of the older players (Farnham, Porter, etc) might make the team.

Simon and Tiffels also showed some potential, but I think will be better after some AHL time.

EDIT: Completely forgot Zlobin who looked better than Rust. I am not sure he'll impress enough to make the team out of camp, but he could be a good option as an injury call-up.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
The big Russian kid was hard to judge when there really isn't much hitting going on. He's got size that's for sure, but didn't really stand out. Other than lifting up DP's lid.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The big Russian kid was hard to judge when there really isn't much hitting going on. He's got size that's for sure, but didn't really stand out. Other than lifting up DP's lid.

He's extremely raw, which is why I hope he's one of those kids that spends at least 3yrs in College to bulk up and work on all areas (which he does, all of it). He could be a very interesting prospect because of his size and that he's going the college route for a russian.

Not sure that's a common thing at all.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
Marcantuoni is stronger than I thought, Sundqvist sitting beside him looks weak in comparison.

Kids been putting in work, looks like he's added a legit 15 pounds of muscle. Iirc when I seen him last year he was quite frail, he's changed his body composition alot.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
well we have a 4th line spot wide open even assuming Sundqvist will be there. So that doesn't sound great.

Wilson wasn't here today and my understanding is that spot's his to lose. Probably worth keeping an eye on Simon in camp, though.

Bleuger and Guentzel looked interesting as a defensive forwards, but they are both headed back to college.

- Guentzel

Gonna have to agree with the latter. I didn't think Guentzel was good at all. At least he's not 5'6 any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad