Prospect Info: 2015 Prospect Development Camp

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Thought the camp deserved its own thread for discussion. Camp begins next Tuesday. As of now the roster includes 10 defensemen, 23 forwards and 4 goalies. There are 7 UFA invites, 4 of which are dmen.

In addition to four days of on-ice sessions, the players will also partake in off-ice workouts, team building exercises and participate in seminars designed to help them better assimilate to being a professional hockey player.

The final practice on Saturday, July 18, which will include controlled scrimmage situations, will be free and open to the public. The practice begins at 3 p.m. and includes free parking in all CONSOL Energy Center surface lots. More information on the open practice will be released next week.

This year’s camp will be directed by first-year Wilkes-Barre/Scranton head coach Mike Sullivan, who joined the Pittsburgh organization in June. Sullivan will be assisted by Wheeling Nailers head coach Clark Donatelli and Penguins goaltender development coach Mike Buckley.

Penguins assistant general managers Tom Fitzgerald and Bill Guerin and player development coach Mark Recchi will coordinate the off-ice portion of camp.

Among the attendees are three players who saw NHL action with Pittsburgh last season – defenseman Derrick Pouliot and forwards Bryan Rust and Scott Wilson. Pouliot and Rust both scored their first NHL goals during the regular season, while Wilson suited up for Pittsburgh during its opening-round series against the New York Rangers.

Also highlighting the roster is Matt Murray, the American Hockey League’s goaltender and rookie of the year, among the numerous honors he collected; Conor Sheary, who led WBS in scoring in both the regular season and playoffs; and forward Oskar Sundqvist, who nearly helped his Swedish Elite League team, Skelleftea, win its league championship after being one of the Penguins’ final cuts in October.

Two forwards – Wilson and Tyler Biggs – will not skate during camp due to injury, but will attend all other activities. Wilson is recovering from wrist surgery, while Biggs, acquired alongside Phil Kessel and Tim Erixon from Toronto last week, is coming off an Achilles’ injury.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774150&navid=DL|PIT|home

Full Roster PDF Here

I'm excited to see all the 2015 picks. And development camp scrimmage star Matia Marcantuoni, of course.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I thought I heard that Sprong's teammate Kameron Kielly was coming to camp, but I guess not.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone know if the entire camp is open to the public or just the game on Saturday?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, that's disappointing. He tweeted it himself so no idea what's happened.

I'm guessing Joseph Masonius will be the prospect to watch from the undrafted. Brandon Denham has some good size.

Masonius will be one to watch i think. To bad hes going the NCAA route so its not someone we will be able to sign for free (god knows our pool is so empty so i dont care if we dumster dive for undrafted players)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Hopefully he remembers who his friends are after a few seasons in the NCAA. He'll be playing with Ryan Segalla (who we picked in the 4th round!) so that'll be nice.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Well, this isnt a tryout to be sign as an FA prospect by the pens (should we hold one?) :P

But from our prospects im really looking forward to see:

Sprong: Obvious new toy syndrome + skill to boot
Byron: Has been showing some pretty darn nice skills the previous camps imo
Guentzel: Has he been getting bigger? Even if he hasnt, hes an intruging prospect and i expect him to stand out this year.

Taylor: He looked good last camp, and now he has a breakout season under his belt. He might as well be our ONLY legit prospect left on defense ,since i consider Pouliot and Dumo graduates this season.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I thought I heard that Sprong's teammate Kameron Kielly was coming to camp, but I guess not.

He might be coming to the rookie tournament in the fall. The summer camp invites are usually mostly college-bound kids, while kids invited from Juniors usually come in the fall. Don't ask me why they don't bring in the junior kids for the summer camp as well. Maybe just to save space?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He might be coming to the rookie tournament in the fall. The summer camp invites are usually mostly college-bound kids, while kids invited from Juniors usually come in the fall. Don't ask me why they don't bring in the junior kids for the summer camp as well. Maybe just to save space?

Hope so, he seems like a guy who is worth signing given our forward depth.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
A really sad list. One first round picks (and DP really doesn't count as he's not really a prospect anymore), just two second rounders, one of which has a low ceiling in Blueger. Hopefully DP looks like a man amongst boys, as he really should.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
Whatever happened to Blueger? Just a few years ago, I saw people on here saying he'd be on Sid's line by 2015. I don't really follow the prospies that much, so what happened? Injury? Just not living up to expectations? Does he have any chance of a future with the Pens?

Edit: Same goes for Guentzel.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Whatever happened to Blueger? Just a few years ago, I saw people on here saying he'd be on Sid's line by 2015. I don't really follow the prospies that much, so what happened? Injury? Just not living up to expectations? Does he have any chance of a future with the Pens?

Did they? He's had a decent college career and he was always going to do at least 3 years of college. Plus he's a centre so I don't know why he'd be on Sid's wing. Guentzel's had two very good year of college hockey (2nd in scoring his rookie year, leading his team for his Sophmore year), he'll go back for his junior season put up PPG and then turn pro IMO. Both will be in WBS next year.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

Those people are stupid. He's always been a long term project with high bust potential. He will finish college and still need time with the baby pens.

I really don't blame him for his numbers. He's playing for a school where the only player of note to ever come out of it was Backes.

I think if we can claim DP, Maatta, Sundqvist, and Murray out of 2012 it's a win.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Those people are stupid. He's always been a long term project with high bust potential. He will finish college and still need time with the baby pens.

I really don't blame him for his numbers. He's playing for a school where the only player of note to ever come out of it was Backes.

I think if we can claim DP, Maatta, Sundqvist, and Murray out of 2012 it's a win.

For a second round pick...I never really liked taking Blueger there. Projects are a good look in the later rounds. But in the second there are still a few guys who could carve out NHL careers, be it a bottom-sixer or 5th/6th Dman. Go for them. Even if you really like a project guy, take someone who is actually going to a high-profile school, like Boo Nieves just a few picks later.

I'm obviously nowhere close to an expert. But the Blueger pick never really sat well with me, I just think picking him was a poor strategy so early in the draft.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The Pens liked Blueger's hockey sense and stickhandling a lot. A guy like that has several ways to make it in the pros. I guess the thought was that he could be a decent playmaking center or a smart defensive forward down the line. Right now he's not quite either, though. But he's kind of an 'underager' in that he'll still be only 21 for his entire senior year at Minnesota State.

Joe Masonius will be playing at UConn with Segulla next season. Maybe they'll even be a pairing, a puck-moving freshman and a tough but offensively-challenged junior with leadership skills.

Prospects with local connections:
- Ty Loney is Troy Loney's son, born in Valencia. Played youth hockey in Pittsburgh and Youngstown before attending Denver University. Signed with WBS for next season.
- Matt Skoff is from McKees Rocks, played youth hockey for the Hornets and is now starting goalie for Penn State.
- Sam Lafferty is from Hollidaysburg, though he has been spending most of his hockey career in New England (prep school in MA, now Brown University).
- Brandon Denham is entering his senior year with Robert Morris.
- Daniel Sprong and Nikita Pavlychev both played some youth hockey in Wilkes-Barre before going to the Q and USHL, respectively. Pavlychev has committed to Penn State for 2016, too.

Shocking, really. I thought he was completely finished...not that I expect him to be able to put together a career, but it's nice to see that he's well enough to even participate in something like this.

Yeah I also thought his career was over. Last I've read was that he lost the past season to a severe concussion. I'm pretty sure though that it was initially called a back injury. Whatever it was, it's good to see he's healthy again.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
From what I hear PSUs program is gradually improving. Of course I'm from central PA so it might be wishful thinking.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
A really sad list. One first round picks (and DP really doesn't count as he's not really a prospect anymore), just two second rounders, one of which has a low ceiling in Blueger. Hopefully DP looks like a man amongst boys, as he really should.

Agreed. I didn't want to be the first to say it and appear negative.

Not even sure why Pouliot is being asked to go, he is way passed the devo camp stage of his career.

:cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad