Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Bennett already rocks 'em:

tumblr_nrqvb0XpkW1txyx4lo1_500.png

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Just some thoughts from the game...

Goalies

Jarry- Three years in a row he has looked bad. Sure its a development game but some of the other goalies played well and looked a lot more pro than Jarry. He stays deep in his net and seems to make himself smaller by not extending out. He's very "blocky"... its strange to say but when he goes down he seems very tucked in and stiff. His movements are very stiff too.

Murray- Very big, confident and poised. He squares up to pucks and they hit him. Reads plays well and isn't clumsy for a bigger goalie. He's just flat out good and efficient. A modern day goalie in every sense.

Maguire- Very impressed with him. Good size and mobility. Strong with his feet and aggressive on plays. One thing I noted is that he's very good with his stick and seems to play pucks well. Good stick handler for a goalie too.... In warm ups he was playing with the puck, putting it behind him and then pulling it through his feet. He seems to be firey too.

Defense

Pouliot- Pretty much what you expect. Calm and poised with the puck. Great long passes and aggressive on joining plays. Stills seems a little soft on defense but competes... not Paul Martin soft where he was getting beat off the boards and in the corner... More cerebral like Larry Murphy. He'll never be a hitter but if he can tie players up and not give up ice I'm OK with that. I think he ends up like a Zubov style game.... and I'm really happy to say that.

Kulevich- Had an up and down game. Some give aways and really dumb plays but did connect on some impressive long passes.

Segalla- I like him. Competes and plays kind of a Lovejoy type game. He is a little better with the puck and more aggressive though. Good in a role player way.

Ruoppe- Looks like his skating has been cleaned up a bit. He's not Bortuzzo but it didn't seem to hinder his game like last year.

Forwards

Pavlychev- Big... stand out big. He skates well and has mobility for a kid that size. He's not Jordan Staal but kind of has that lanky look to his game. I was impressed with his back check and how he picked up some pucks that weren't ahead of him. He tried a pretty nice toe drag but it didn't work. On the down side he does seem easy to tip over which is kinda natural.

Tiffels- The Hagelin comparison is a good one and I liked him a lot. This kid burns once he gets some open ice. He needs to add some strength but he does also have some hands and sense to his game too. I'm hoping he can become a good compliment to a star player.

Simon- Good foot speed and can stick handle well. Also seems ready to go into traffic to score. He made a very nice move to put the puck between the stick and man and then cut to the middle.

Floodstrand- Very impressed with him. Darting skater, great stick handler and has a lot of poise. I thought he had some Ray Whitney to him.

Lindo- Also very impressed with Lindo. Power F to the 10th degree. He's big, thick and arrives with ill humor. Very bullish... He also has some skill to his game. He protects the puck well and can do it while moving his feet. Great along the boards and always got to the middle of the ice when he didn't have the puck.

Sheary- Great skater and plays with pace. He drives into traffic and seem he's shifty enough not to get caught.

Denham- Huge open ice hit. He has to work hard to play at that size but he seems like a willing hitter.

Loney- What can you say... he had a great day. He works hard to get open, drives to the net and is stong on his stick. He kind of reminds me of Ryan Malone. Good hands, some sense and a will to play in the middle of the ice. Not the fastest player but balanced and more about power.

Zlobin- Good skills but plays more of a cerebral game. Reminds me a little of Slava Kozlov. IMO he's kind of a tweener. I could see him being a skilled guy in the A or maybe the Pens can develop him into a support player for a star. Needs to get stronger and play with more pace.

Sprong- Really didn't impress and only seemed to play like he gave a damn after getting popped. You can see the skill but didn't do much. Plays to him were clean though. Acted deflated after not getting passes.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I think that's usually due to size. If Loney turns out to be a good AHL player, the guy is 6'4'.

i disagree. The NHL is about size. As in its almost a prerequisite if you're not overly skilled. A lot of guys can succeed in the AHL and be small but once they get to the NHL, if their skill does not make up for a lack of size, they'll be right back down. AHL success is mostly about skill. Players with speed and great shots and high IQ's succeed in the AHL regardless of size.

Just look at the AHL scoring leaders

1) Brian O'Neill- 5'8 165
2) Andy Miele- 5'8 175
3) Jordan Weal- 5'10 171
4) Jonathan Marchessault- 5'9 180
5) Chris Bourque (lol)- 5'8 170

the first guy you get to that is even over 6 foot is Dustin Jeffrey at #8

Last edited:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
i disagree. The NHL is about size. As in its almost a prerequisite if you're not overly skilled. A lot of guys can succeed in the AHL and be small but once they get to the NHL, if their skill does not make up for a lack of size, they'll be right back down. AHL success is mostly about skill. Players with speed and great shots and high IQ's succeed in the AHL regardless of size.

Just look at the AHL scoring leaders

1) Brian O'Neill- 5'8 165
2) Andy Miele- 5'8 175
3) Jordan Weal- 5'10 171
4) Jonathan Marchessault- 5'9 180
5) Chris Bourque (lol)- 5'8 170

the first guy you get to that is even over 6 foot is Dustin Jeffrey at #8

Sounds like you actually agree, seeing as how the poster you quoted was saying that the main reason that top AHL scorers don't succeed in the NHL is due to size. He was then saying that Loney has a better chance of his success (if any) translating because Loney does have size.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Sounds like you actually agree, seeing as how the poster you quoted was saying that the main reason that top AHL scorers don't succeed in the NHL is due to size. He was then saying that Loney has a better chance of his success (if any) translating because Loney does have size.

oh i interpreted what he said as "If loney does well in the AHL it will be because he is big"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad