2015 nhl redraft

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Didn't say he is lindholm or Reilly or mcavoy but probably the best defensive dman 6 foot 5 there is. He's comparable to a Tyler Myers who I believe was a 1st overall pick. Same size and play similiar game.
He was a 12th overall pick. Myers has also shown significantly more offensively in his career than Carlo has.

Just because he's the best 6'5 defensive d-man doesn't make him that valuable. You are choosing an arbitrary height to specifically measure players against each other. And, even if I accept he's the best 6'5 defensive D-man (which is debatable), what does that even mean? That he's the best defensively of elite offensive D-man like Burns and Buf, or that he's better than Coburn, Justin Falk, Eric Gudbranson, Marincin, Mayfield, Zadorov and Gabriel Carlsson?

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
He was a 12th overall pick. Myers has also shown significantly more offensively in his career than Carlo has.

Just because he's the best 6'5 defensive d-man doesn't make him that valuable. You are choosing an arbitrary height to specifically measure players against each other. And, even if I accept he's the best 6'5 defensive D-man (which is debatable), what does that even mean? That he's the best defensively of elite offensive D-man like Burns and Buf, or that he's better than Coburn, Justin Falk, Eric Gudbranson, Marincin, Mayfield, Zadorov and Gabriel Carlsson?
Look you can state Barzal is better then Carlo yes in scoring p.p.time passes goals etc. He can't hit he can't block and force turnovers. Carlo is so much better. It's the type of player Carlo is. Hes not flashy but he brings top ten elements that Gm look for to make cup calibre teams.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Look you can state Barzal is better then Carlo yes in scoring p.p.time passes goals etc. He can't hit he can't block and force turnovers. Carlo is so much better. It's the type of player Carlo is. Hes not flashy but he brings top ten elements that Gm look for to make cup calibre teams.
Barzel
16 blocks
35 takeaways

Carlo
28 blocks
15 takeaways

Seems he's better at forcing turnovers

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Name me one defender who has never gotten above 15 points in a season who gets paid more than an offensive player who has gotten over 70 points in the last 5 years who isn't on an ELC and. That should tell you what GM's value.

You also do realize, that it's mostly quick handed forwards who lead the league in takeaways right? Barzal has 100 takeaways since the start of 2017/18 season. Carlo has 41.

You don't want your team blocking a lot of shots, because it generally means you are getting out shot attempted.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Ok you guys win white flag but I'll still give Donny full marks stealing Carlo in the second round. If you guys do a redraft he belongs in first round for sure if not top 10 top 15? I've seen Carlo so much this year and he's a boy playing against men. It's amazing how much he has grown and trusted.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm going to do my redraft on how I think the team would do it if they had a retry.

1. Edmonton - Connor McDavid
2. Buffalo - Jack Eichel
3. Arizona - Matt Barzal
4. Toronto - Mitch Marner
5. Carolina - Brock Boeser
6. New Jersey - Mikko Rantanen
7. Philly - Sebastian Aho
8. Columbus - Tom Chabot
9. San Jose - Kyle Connor
10 Colorado - Zach Werenski
11. Florida - Ivan Provorov
12. Dallas - Noah Hanifin
13. Boston - Timmo Meier
14. Boston - Jake DeBrusk
15. Boston - Colin White
16. NYI - Tony Beauvillier
17. Winnipeg - Dylan Strome
18. Ottawa - Travis Konecny
19. Detroit - Markus Nuutivara
20. Minnesota - Jordan Greenway
21. Ottawa - Anthony Cirelli
22. Washington - Joel Eriksson-Ek
23. Vancouver - Brandon Carlo
24. Philly - Denis Malgin
25. Winnpeg - Dominik Simon
26. Montreal - Travis Dermott
27. Anaheim - Daniel Sprong
28. NYI - Christian Fischer
29. Columbus - Ilya Samsonov
30. Arizona - Jack Roslovic

HM:
Evgeni Svechnikov - needs to be healthy and playing otherwise he just drops.
Noah Juulsen - Tweener so far. Needs to take the next step.
Vince Dunn - Haven't seen enough of him to properly rank.
Mat Joseph - Hell of a player. Could continue to increase his stock.
Lawson Crouse - Leaves a lot to be desired.
Rasmuss Anderson - Another tweener that needs to take the next step.
Filip Chlapik - Another tweener that could stand to take the next step. Looks decent enough in the AHL when I saw Belleville.
Roope Hintz - Yet another tweener who is probably too good for the AHL but not good enough for the show yet.
Sami Niku - A bit of a tweener for the Jets. Looks good but unlikely to get the ice time needed to stick.
Denis Gurianov - A slow roaster that could climb the rankings again. Kid looks electric but we need to see more.
Troy Terry - Another tweener.
Kirill Kaprisov - Will just fly down the rankings until he comes over.
Adin Hill - Goalie that needs to prove he is the real deal first.
Mason Appleton - Lots of speed but not converting on chances.
Mackenzie Blackwood - Decent pedigree but needs to prove himself more.
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson - Could easily rise up the rankings.
Callum Booth - Really solid AHL goalie right now. Waiting for his shot.

I could keep going and going. Holy crap this draft is deep. Lots of guys still proving themselves in NCAA and AHL that could still make the NHL over the next couple of seasons. We might have 60+ that make it over 200 games played. Given the heights this draft could reach I think it might easily go ahead of 2003. It likely won't hit the heights of 1979 but that draft has some oddness because of the age change, which basically put 3 years worth of draft eligible players into a single draft. But in terms of "normal drafts" 2015 might go down as the deepest ever.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Name me one defender who has never gotten above 15 points in a season who gets paid more than an offensive player who has gotten over 70 points in the last 5 years who isn't on an ELC and. That should tell you what GM's value.

You also do realize, that it's mostly quick handed forwards who lead the league in takeaways right? Barzal has 100 takeaways since the start of 2017/18 season. Carlo has 41.

You don't want your team blocking a lot of shots, because it generally means you are getting out shot attempted.

There's no point trying, there's few Bruins fans who will to the end refuse to admit what a mistake passing on Barzal was.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm going to do my redraft on how I think the team would do it if they had a retry.

2. Buffalo - Jack Eichel
3. Arizona - Matt Barzal
8. Columbus - Tom Chabot
13. Boston - Timmo Meier
15. Boston - Colin White

HM:
Filip Chlapik - Another tweener that could stand to take the next step. Looks decent enough in the AHL when I saw Belleville.
Roope Hintz - Yet another tweener who is probably too good for the AHL but not good enough for the show yet.
Sami Niku - A bit of a tweener for the Jets. Looks good but unlikely to get the ice time needed to stick.
Denis Gurianov - A slow roaster that could climb the rankings again. Kid looks electric but we need to see more.

I could keep going and going. Holy crap this draft is deep. Lots of guys still proving themselves in NCAA and AHL that could still make the NHL over the next couple of seasons. We might have 60+ that make it over 200 games played. Given the heights this draft could reach I think it might easily go ahead of 2003. It likely won't hit the heights of 1979 but that draft has some oddness because of the age change, which basically put 3 years worth of draft eligible players into a single draft. But in terms of "normal drafts" 2015 might go down as the deepest ever.
Not a chance the Flyers pass on a Dman for Aho...as good as Aho is.

In your re-draft, Philly takes Aho and Malgin. I am quite glad they got Provy and Konecny in the real draft instead.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Wrong. This season Trotz has enrolled Barzal in 2-way Center University, holding him responsible for immature mistakes and limiting his icetime when necessary. Instead of allowing Barzy to coast off his natural offensive talent, he's taken it upon himself to mold a 3-zone Barzal who really seems to be listening.

I don't think the hot taek narrative that Barzal is terrible defensively and can't hit/block/force turnovers will be around for very long.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not a chance the Flyers pass on a Dman for Aho...as good as Aho is.

In your re-draft, Philly takes Aho and Malgin. I am quite glad they got Provy and Konecny in the real draft instead.

That may be true. You'd likely know better than me. But yeah zero chance they'd have a shot at Konecny in a redraft.

Reactions: Tripod

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
But since you are here, how in the world do you put Strome STILL over Konecny???? Or Beauvillier? Or White? Or Debrusk?

I only have him in there over Konecny. And by one spot. May want to read it again.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

2. Buffalo - Jack Eichel
3. Arizona - Matt Barzal
8. Columbus - Tom Chabot
13. Boston - Timmo Meier
15. Boston - Colin White

HM:

I don't see how Rantanen isn't 3, 4 at the worst. I could see the argument for Barzal over Rantanen but Boeser and Marner? No way.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't see how Rantanen isn't 3, 4 at the worst. I could see the argument for Barzal over Rantanen but Boeser and Marner? No way.

I'd like to see Rantanen continue this level of play before I get to high on him playing with one of the best centers in the league yet. They've been a solid duo but you still have to wonder what kind of player he is playing with Tavares or Pettersson rather than MacK. And what do Boeser and Marner look like on MacKs wing. I think it's still a valid question.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'd like to see Rantanen continue this level of play before I get to high on him playing with one of the best centers in the league yet. They've been a solid duo but you still have to wonder what kind of player he is playing with Tavares or Pettersson rather than MacK. And what do Boeser and Marner look like on MacKs wing. I think it's still a valid question.
Continue? He put up 84 points last year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Continue? He put up 84 points last year.

But with MacK. He's now on pace for 136 points which would be the best offensive season in the cap era. Better than anything Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or anyone has put together. I'm not 100% comfortable doing that without more proof. Sure he put together a solid campaign last year but so did MacK. Heck even Landeskog is on pace for damn near 100 points. Just want to make sure this isn't some crazy good chemistry clicking over a couple seasons before I get to carried away. If some want to put him in the top 4 that is fine but I'm taking a bit more of a wait and see approach given what I considered their career projections.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Rantanen 142 points in the last 116 games
McDavid 157 points in the last 116 games

What more does he have to do? Rantanen is producing like a superstar right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad