2015 nhl redraft

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Yeah....okay. You are entitled to your opinion lol.
Ask yourself how important is it when the score is 3 to 2 for your team that you need a Carlo type there blocking shots and getting the puck out to preserve the victory consistently. Not only does that he do that effortlessly he has a mean streak to boot and skates like the wind at 6 foot 5. He's top ten material. I bet on a trade market he would easily get William nylander in return.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Ask yourself how important is it when the score is 3 to 2 for your team that you need a Carlo type there blocking shots and getting the puck out to preserve the victory consistently. Not only does that he do that effortlessly he has a mean streak to boot and skates like the wind at 6 foot 5. He's top ten material. I bet on a trade market he would easily get William nylander in return.
I am not saying anything bad about Carlo he is a really good young defensemen....but I feel like you don't quite realize just how good this draft was? McDavid,Eichel,Rantanen,Marner,Barzal,McAvoy,Werenski,Aho,Provorov,Chabot,Boeser....Like that is just right off the top of my head.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I am not saying anything bad about Carlo he is a really good young defensemen....but I feel like you don't quite realize just how good this draft was? McDavid,Eichel,Rantanen,Marner,Barzal,McAvoy,Werenski,Aho,Provorov,Chabot,Boeser....Like that is just right off the top of my head.
I agree that they are super talented but if you notice Carlo is on the other end stopping these guys whenever they on. He's Cassidy number one choice against mcdavid . That's top 10 material. Just making my case.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
6 foot 5 dman that can shut down auston Mathews I'll take anytime anyday anyplace.
Shut-down Matthews? I assume you are referencing last years playoffs. Matthews was matched almost exclusively against Chara and McAvoy. Carlo didn't even play due to injury. At least be factually correct.

The only stat Carlo is a notable positive for his team over the last 2 years is xGF% where he is slightly above par compared to his teammates. His team allows more goals at 5v5 with him on the ice relative to the average player on the team and allow more shots attempts. Also, his QOC stats don't reflect a player who is shutting down top units. Chara and McAvoy get the toughest minutes of any Bruins defender since the start of the 2017/18 season.

No way should a defender who brings as little offensively as Carlo should be taken in the top 10 given the players that would still be there. Carlo due to his limited offensive game is best served as a middle pairing D-man at best, which is exactly how the Bruins use him when everyone is at full health. It's debatable if he's a top 5 defender for this class.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Shut-down Matthews? I assume you are referencing last years playoffs. Matthews was matched almost exclusively against Chara and McAvoy. Carlo didn't even play due to injury. At least be factually correct.

The only stat Carlo is a notable positive for his team over the last 2 years is xGF% where he is slightly above par compared to his teammates. His team allows more goals at 5v5 with him on the ice relative to the average player on the team and allow more shots attempts. Also, his QOC stats don't reflect a player who is shutting down top units. Chara and McAvoy get the toughest minutes of any Bruins defender since the start of the 2017/18 season.

No way should a defender who brings as little offensively as Carlo should be taken in the top 10 given the players that would still be there. Carlo due to his limited offensive game is best served as a middle pairing D-man at best, which is exactly how the Bruins use him when everyone is at full health. It's debatable if he's a top 5 defender for this class.
The leafs let in 30 plus shots a game like water running from a tap. They would trade high prospects or young established players for Carlo in a heartbeat.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The leafs let in 30 plus shots a game like water running from a tap. They would trade high prospects or young established players for Carlo in a heartbeat.
I agree that they are super talented but if you notice Carlo is on the other end stopping these guys whenever they on. He's Cassidy number one choice against mcdavid . That's top 10 material. Just making my case.
Stop lying when these things are way too easy to check. Cassidy's number 1 choice against McDavid when he had last change this year was Chara (who had 13 minutes and 43 seconds against McDavid) and McAvoy (who had 11 minutes and 34 seconds), compared to the 1 minutes and 54 seconds Carlo got. Carlo got more time against McDavid when they visited Edmonton but still less than Chara/McAvoy. When Cassidy had the last change vs Edmonton, he primarily matched him against the Oilers 3rd and 4th lines consisting of guys like Ryan Strome and Puljuarvi.

So, if your case is that Carlo is worthy of going top 10, because Cassidy matches him against McDavid, your entire argument is flawed. Because, Cassidy seems to avoid doing that.

Edmonton Oilers @ Boston Bruins, 2018-10-11

Boston Bruins @ Edmonton Oilers, 2018-10-18

Since you are pushing this point, maybe you have it wrong and it was last year. Except, nope. Last year at home Cassidy matched Chara and McAvoy against McDavid at home. The same applied on the road.

Edmonton Oilers @ Boston Bruins, 2017-11-26

Boston Bruins @ Edmonton Oilers, 2018-02-20

I'll even go back to Claude Julien. At home, McDavid was primarily matched by Chara and McQuaid, with Carlo getting 3 minutes and 30 seconds. He was 2nd behind Chara for the road game.

Boston Bruins @ Edmonton Oilers, 2017-03-16

Edmonton Oilers @ Boston Bruins, 2017-01-05

It's pretty evident, that over the last 3 years since Carlo entered the league, he has never been the preferred shut-down guy against McDavid. That responsibility has always fallen to Zdeno Chara, who is usually with Charlie McAvoy. This lines up with his QOC TOI% which shows Chara and his partner always get the toughest shut-down minutes. Usually with Bergeron's line doing heavy lifting too.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Stop lying when these things are way too easy to check. Cassidy's number 1 choice against McDavid when he had last change this year was Chara (who had 13 minutes and 43 seconds against McDavid) and McAvoy (who had 11 minutes and 34 seconds), compared to the 1 minutes and 54 seconds Carlo got. Carlo got more time against McDavid when they visited Edmonton but still less than Chara/McAvoy. When Cassidy had the last change vs Edmonton, he primarily matched him against the Oilers 3rd and 4th lines consisting of guys like Ryan Strome and Puljuarvi.

So, if your case is that Carlo is worthy of going top 10, because Cassidy matches him against McDavid, your entire argument is flawed. Because, Cassidy seems to avoid doing that.

Edmonton Oilers @ Boston Bruins, 2018-10-11

Boston Bruins @ Edmonton Oilers, 2018-10-18

Since you are pushing this point, maybe you have it wrong and it was last year. Except, nope. Last year at home Cassidy matched Chara and McAvoy against McDavid at home. The same applied on the road.

Edmonton Oilers @ Boston Bruins, 2017-11-26

Boston Bruins @ Edmonton Oilers, 2018-02-20

I'll even go back to Claude Julien. At home, McDavid was primarily matched by Chara and McQuaid, with Carlo getting 3 minutes and 30 seconds. He was 2nd behind Chara for the road game.

Boston Bruins @ Edmonton Oilers, 2017-03-16

Edmonton Oilers @ Boston Bruins, 2017-01-05

It's pretty evident, that over the last 3 years since Carlo entered the league, he has never been the preferred shut-down guy against McDavid. That responsibility has always fallen to Zdeno Chara, who is usually with Charlie McAvoy. This lines up with his QOC TOI% which shows Chara and his partner always get the toughest shut-down minutes. Usually with Bergeron's line doing heavy lifting too.
I saw him last night protecting the lead against Montreal main guys last night. Drouin domi etc. Played over 22 min the most protecting the lead and hit quite a bit. That's what I recall
Go check the stats .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What a draft. Always something to keep in mind is how before this season if anyone put Chabot in the top ten or esp top 5 theyd of been laughed at. Now how can you keep him out of the top ten?? Guys like Konecny Carlo and White would go top ten in most other drafts but probs not this one

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1 Mcdavid
2 Jeichel
3 Rantanen
4 Barzal
5 Chabot
6 Marner
7 Boeser
8 Aho
9 Provorov
10 Werenski
11 Connor
12 Meier
13 Konecny
14 Debrusk
15 Carlo

Last edited:
Reactions: hittes petr sykora

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I saw him last night protecting the lead against Montreal main guys last night. Drouin domi etc. Played over 22 min the most protecting the lead and hit quite a bit. That's what I recall
Go check the stats .
You specifically mention McDavid and Matthews. Two guys, he is rarely matched up against. Yeah, he's used against Montreal right now because Cassidy's first choice to do this is currently out, which is Chara. You say he's the first choice to shut-down McDavid. That has quite easily been proven to be a factually incorrect statement, and now you are moving the goalposts.

Edit: And last Bruins home game, you matched him up against the Sabres 2nd line and not Eichel's, the home game prior to that you didn't match him against Keller/Schmaltz but the Stepan/Panik line. Montreal was a road game where Julian dictated match-ups.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
You specifically mention McDavid and Matthews. Two guys, he is rarely matched up against. Yeah, he's used against Montreal right now because Cassidy's first choice to do this is currently out, which is Chara. You say he's the first choice to shut-down McDavid. That has quite easily been proven to be a factually incorrect statement, and now you are moving the goalposts.
Just stating my point is a number one dman currently playing the most minutes that should mean top 10 pick. Carlo gets overlooked because he can't score that's always been the case against great defensive defenseman. If you looked at players ken deneyko he helped devils win multiple cups. You can't win without these guys . Thats what Carlo brings each and everynight and why teams thirst to have them. Leafs need this guy badly right now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just stating my point is a number one dman currently playing the most minutes that should mean top 10 pick. Carlo gets overlooked because he can't score that's always been the case against great defensive defenseman. If you looked at players ken deneyko he helped devils win multiple cups. You can't win without these guys . Thats what Carlo brings each and everynight and why teams thirst to have them. Leafs need this guy badly right now.
Again, factually incorrect or at the very least purposefully misleading. He's played the most minutes 1 out of the Bruins last 5 games (which was yesterday). On average, he plays less than Chara, McAvoy, and Krug. Now getting a read on the Bruins minutes due to all their injuries this year is difficult. But, unless you mean played the most minutes yesterday, this is again not a strong premise to argue on. Last year he was also 4th on average.

Both of your arguments don't hold up. He isn't matched against top players when his coach control changes, even with Chara out (they go to McAvoy/Grzelyck), and he doesn't lead the Bruins in minutes, outside of the occasional one-off games. Both arguments you have put forth, have been proven to be false.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Except your point has been debunked? He hasn’t been treated as a number 1 in Boston because of Chara and McAvoy and that only now he’s playing more due to Chara being out. Even then, over the last 5 games McAvoy has averaged more TOI.

The other players in this draft have way more than just recent work that proves they are top 10 talent. I don’t think there’s very many, if at all, who would take Carlo top 10 currently.

Reactions: LeafChief

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Your point has been shattered to oblivion as it isn't based in reality.

Stating things that are very easy to look up and see are made up, makes your opinion mean little.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Except your point has been debunked? He hasn’t been treated as a number 1 in Boston because of Chara and McAvoy and that only now he’s playing more due to Chara being out. Even then, over the last 5 games McAvoy has averaged more TOI.

The other players in this draft have way more than just recent work that proves they are top 10 talent. I don’t think there’s very many, if at all, who would take Carlo top 10 currently.
I bet if leafs had him he would play more then any dman leafs have right now. I believe colorado was offering landeskog for him and Bruins refused. That's top ten talent. Many teams would offer players like connor for him. You can take a poll and general managers would agree.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I bet if leafs had him he would play more then any dman leafs have right now. I believe colorado was offering landeskog for him and Bruins refused. That's top ten talent. Many teams would offer players like connor for him. You can take a poll and general managers would agree.
Source this.

And, no, he wouldn't play more than Morgan Rielly. But, for whatever reason, you want to specifically make this about the Leafs.

Like your claims about his usage, your claims about his value just aren't factually correct. You are talking about him like he is Hampus Lindholm, which he isn't.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Ok I think I’ll just leave it there. There’s always the odd take.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You have been ethered into oblivion. You should stop now.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Source this.

And, no, he wouldn't play more than Morgan Rielly. But, for whatever reason, you want to specifically make this about the Leafs.

Like your claims about his usage, your claims about his value just aren't factually correct. You are talking about him like he is Hampus Lindholm, which he isn't.
Didn't say he is lindholm or Reilly or mcavoy but probably the best defensive dman 6 foot 5 there is. He's comparable to a Tyler Myers who I believe was a 1st overall pick. Same size and play similiar game.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Carlo is 4th on the Bruins in both total avg/TOI and es/TOI behind Krug, Chara and McAvoy with 17:59 and 20:48. Grezlyk just behind him with 20:26 time on ice.

I mean, even in their last 5 games without Chara (whom he obviously benefits the most with regards to ice time) he's led their team in TOI a total of 1 time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad