2015 nhl redraft

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Depends what you go for in a redraft. Best player or what the team in that draft position need. Leafs needs a defenceman just as bad as they would have needed a winger without Marner. Anyway its close, but if you go after highest value even considering how good Marner is I would guess Provorov and Werenski have higher value in the league because of position.
Shift this draft in a few years and things will look differently. IMO it always undervalues the Dmen that require a higher development cycle.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Depends what you go for in a redraft. Best player or what the team in that draft position need. Leafs needs a defenceman just as bad as they would have needed a winger without Marner. Anyway its close, but if you go after highest value even considering how good Marner is I would guess Provorov and Werenski have higher value in the league because of position.
Provorov and Werenski would probably have more trade value league wide due to posistion but i just feel that because of how well Marner was able to drive his own line (especially when Matthews was out with an injury) and how well he has developed thus far as a leaf i just feel that he is just to valuable to that organization just to move on from him.
Its really all just a matter of opinion though and you couldn't go wrong picking any player in the top 10.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I think you can present a strong argument that Rantanen is too low based on what he has objectively accomplished to this point.
I'd like to see him repeat it next year. Pluss playing with Mac puts a little bit of handicap on you IMO.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Having Marner over Werenski I understand but I think you need Provorov at 4. I guess I could argue Rantanen to go higher but the other guys have strong cases as well. Insane top 10
In the scenario where say the leafs took Provorov at 4, this how i could see the top 10 going down.

1)/EDM McDavid
2)/BUF Eichel
3)/ARI Barzal
4)/TML Provorov
5)/CAR Aho
6)/NJD Werenski
7)/PHI Boeser
8)/CBJ Rantanen
9)/SJS Marner
10)/COL Conner

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I remember when the Canes took Aho in round 2 and there were a few Canes fans that were outraged by the pick in our draft thread. How could they take Aho when guys like Sprong, Bittner and Harkins were on the board!!! I also remember that it was reported that the Devil's really wanted Aho also and when the Canes picked him, they immediately traded down. Most NJ fans scoffed at that idea as pretty much nobody had Aho on their radar.

It reminds me to keep my mouth shut when it comes to questioning a team's pick. Well, me wanting the Canes to pick Burmistrov over Skinner in 2010 also taught me that. :laugh:

Canes got lucky with the Aho pick. Canes don't have a huge scouting staff and it's only because they had recently hired Joni Pitkanen as a European scout and with his ties to Karpat, the Canes had Aho so high.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Incredible draft.

From a Finnish point of view this draft looked really bad for us. It looked like there is no one else besides Rantanen. Looks a very good group now with Rantanen and Aho leading the way, with Nutivaara and possibly Niku coming next. 1st and 2nd round picks and two 7th rounders. Lol.

And you can't forget Saarela, Mikkola and Hintz. They have potential to be an NHL players. 13 Finnish players were selected in 2015. If 7 of them makes it full-time, I think that is excellent from a group which was supposed to be weak. Even if some of them only get a few games, it is still good, but not great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am just happy the Flyers grabbed 2 studs in the 1st rd and still have 4 other guys from the draft that have been WJC players.

Also of note....Provorov tied for the league lead in goals for Dmen this year. All while not getting #1PP time and facing top lines. There is only 1 person in this draft I would trade Provy for.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Nice to see Anderson jump into the 1st round. While it would've been nice if calgary had selected barzel with that 15th pick, Dougie Hamilton is a still a beast (and Boston is stupid), and it looks to be a good draft overall for us (Mangiapane was a steal for a 6th round player).

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I'd like to see him repeat it next year. Pluss playing with Mac puts a little bit of handicap on you IMO.

Fair enough, but even in his first rookie campaign, with the Avs offense in hibernation mode, he put up 20+ goals. As a 19 year old in the AHL, he was better than a ppg pace and Co-AHL rookie of the year.

It is interesting to think about who is helping who. Last year at this time, people were down on MacKinnon, although he started flashing with Rantanen on his line late in 2016-2017. Was MacKinnon the beneficiary of having Rantanen on his line? MacKinnon's breakout, Hart-trophy candidate season just happened to occur at the same time.

At the end of the day, it is all subjective to an extent and does not really matter. 2015 was an insane draft class to this point, but perhaps some of the other recent classes need a little more time for evaluation.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Nuttivara is a top 4 dman already, he should be in the first round.

Incredible draft.

From a Finnish point of view this draft looked really bad for us. It looked like there is no one else besides Rantanen. Looks a very good group now with Rantanen and Aho leading the way, with Nutivaara and possibly Niku coming next. 1st and 2nd round picks and two 7th rounders. Lol.

And you can't forget Saarela, Mikkola and Hintz. They have potential to be an NHL players. 13 Finnish players were selected in 2015. If 7 of them makes it full-time, I think that is excellent from a group which was supposed to be weak. Even if some of them only get a few games, it is still good, but not great.

Nutti has established himself in Columbus. The rest of the league has yet to really take notice. He and Murray have pretty much solidified their pairing together and Nutti actually played EXTREMELY well when he had to fill in on the first pairing with Jones when we had some injuries.

Reactions: FinPanda

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Tbf he's also around 3 years older than the majority of the 2015 draft, so there could be a case made for potential of other prospects vs where a much older player is right now.

I'd still have him in the top 30 in a redraft right now though.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Tbf he's also around 3 years older than the majority of the 2015 draft, so there could be a case made for potential of other prospects vs where a much older player is right now.

I'd still have him in the top 30 in a redraft right now though.
Hes close (top 35 for sure) but i just feel the players i have above him just have more upside for me personally.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Was disappointed with the Boeser pick initially... Thought we just picked up a 3rd line winger who would take 4 years to get to nhl at least. One of my worst draft blunders

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Was disappointed with the Boeser pick initially... Thought we just picked up a 3rd line winger who would take 4 years to get to nhl at least. One of my worst draft blunders
Yeah the guys already a star in this league! Him and Pettersson are gonna be dynamite together.

carriefan

Apr 9, 2011
1)/EDM McDavid
2)/BUF Rantanen
3)/ARI Eichel
4)/TML Chabot
5)/CAR Marner
6)/NJD Aho
7)/PHI Barzal
8)/CBJ Conner
9)/SJS Meier
10)/COL Boeser

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Good to see Gurianov could possibly still make his way up this list/onto it. He's a completely different player this season and his development has suddenly taken huge strides. Think one of the biggest differences is he is using his size and speed really well this year

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
He is a good player....He doesn't sniff the top 10 of this draft. Not sure what Matthews has to do with it though.
I believe he's top ten material he's has good as connor barzal in terms of what he brings. You just can find horses that play 20 plus at 21 yrs old and shut first lines out these days. Hard to find ask the leafs if they need Carlo for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad