2015 NHL Draft Thread (Lottery: 4/18, Draft: 6/26-6/27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As a fanbase, we've been here before, in a position where we find it hard to think about giving up this year's first-rounder because it will be "the last time we draft this high". I've got some of that going myself - acknowledging, of course, in particular for Espen, that the 2015 first-rounder is getting less and less "high."

The idea of adding one of the SJS forwards, especially Couture, is tempting. I'd be more likely to consider it for a defenseman. My dream scenario (in which I haven't considered salary implications, and which will be met with plenty of CBJ fans fairly worried about his health) is that Kris Letang somehow becomes available.
Interestingly, my corresponding dream scenario involves the potential availability of Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

I know he's not a righty. I don't care. Vlasic-Murray on the left gives us a Weber-Jones level of badass bluelinery. :)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Since I'm partially to blame... this discussion is starting to veer away from draft talk (despite being started with talk of trading the top pick) and has the potential to drift even further. Let's try to keep it draft-related in here.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Since I'm partially to blame... this discussion is starting to veer away from draft talk (despite being started with talk of trading the top pick) and has the potential to drift even further. Let's try to keep it draft-related in here.

That point last night ensured that we are clear of New Jersey. 7-12 is now the range we can pick (chance of 1 or 13 with lottery). Dallas beating San Jose in Regulation puts us 5 points behind Dallas, 4 behind San Jose, 4 behind Florida.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
CBJ will drop behind Philly and Colorado ultimately drafting 9th overall. Still gong to land it's one hell of an asset.

Yeah. Looking like 8-9-10... Cant imagine we don't pass those two teams (PHI/COL). Would put us at 9. Also have a hard time believing we get 6/6 points in last three games while San Jose, Dallas, and Florida lose out.

We are looking at a GREAT player at 9. Probably someone that bumps right up to the top of our prospect list. And if we really are trying to move up, we have three 2nds to use.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yeah. Looking like 8-9-10... Cant imagine we don't pass those two teams (PHI/COL). Would put us at 9. Also have a hard time believing we get 6/6 points in last three games while San Jose, Dallas, and Florida lose out.

We are looking at a GREAT player at 9. Probably someone that bumps right up to the top of our prospect list. And if we really are trying to move up, we have three 2nds to use.

And a glut of forwards (see: 23 man roster thread).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

On paper, which has been absolutely useless this year, we should get 4 more points, losing to the Isles in the last game at Nassau Coliseum.
We should beat Toronto & Buffalo. So figure 87 pts. We need SJ & Florida to get a point each since it looks like we hold tie breakers over both.

Here's what the competition faces:

Philly- Isles,Carolina, Ottawa- could sweep but that's wishful thinking
Fla- Boston & NJ
SJ - Edmonton & LA
Colorado- Nshville,WPG & Chi.- they draft before us

Not happy with 9th but its better than 11th or 12th and I agree we should still get a pretty good guy there.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
On paper, which has been absolutely useless this year, we should get 4 more points, losing to the Isles in the last game at Nassau Coliseum.
We should beat Toronto & Buffalo. So figure 87 pts. We need SJ & Florida to get a point each since it looks like we hold tie breakers over both.

Here's what the competition faces:

Philly- Isles,Carolina, Ottawa- could sweep but that's wishful thinking
Fla- Boston & NJ
SJ - Edmonton & LA
Colorado- Nshville,WPG & Chi.- they draft before us

Not happy with 9th but its better than 11th or 12th and I agree we should still get a pretty good guy there.

Good Breakdown. 9-12 does suck for sure compared to 5th. But whatever maybe just burn the late 2nd rounder to move up a spot or two. The last couple weeks have been fun I guess.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I actually think that the move from 9 to 10 would be a big change as it would mean that we will almost definitely lose out on one of the top 3 defensemen (Hanafin, Provorov, Werenski) as I can't see any of those players falling out of the top 10, as I've said previously I doubt one of them falls to us at 9. We still have a chance at a all-star caliber player, but it would be one of the third tier forwards Meier, Rantanen, or Zacha.

As to the rest of the draft I really think that we need to focus on quality over quantity both at the prospect and NHL level. I would absolutely no problem only making three picks in this draft so long as we manage to add a top paring NHL defenseman and potential top line forward or a 1st line forward and a potential top pairing defenseman. I know that sounds overly ambitious, but with our roster forwards, prospects and picks it should not be that hard. Maybe a scenario like the following.

CBJ-Arizona
To CBJ
OEL

To SJS
Cam Atkinson
William Karlsson
Toronto 2nd
Anaheim 2nd
PHI 3rd

Draft Pavel Zacha

CBJ-Toronto
To CBJ
Pick #25 (Draft Jeremy Roy RHD)

To Toronto
CBJ 2nd
CBJ 3rd
Wild 5th

That's alot of movement, but I could see it working. There are a few teams that are just starting a rebuilb that are going to want as many picks and prospects as they can get their hands on.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I actually think that the move from 9 to 10 would be a big change as it would mean that we will almost definitely lose out on one of the top 3 defensemen (Hanafin, Provorov, Werenski) as I can't see any of those players falling out of the top 10, as I've said previously I doubt one of them falls to us at 9. We still have a chance at a all-star caliber player, but it would be one of the third tier forwards Meier, Rantanen, or Zacha.

As to the rest of the draft I really think that we need to focus on quality over quantity both at the prospect and NHL level. I would absolutely no problem only making three picks in this draft so long as we manage to add a top paring NHL defenseman and potential top line forward or a 1st line forward and a potential top pairing defenseman. I know that sounds overly ambitious, but with our roster forwards, prospects and picks it should not be that hard. Maybe a scenario like the following.

CBJ-Arizona
To CBJ
OEL

To SJS
Cam Atkinson
William Karlsson
Toronto 2nd
Anaheim 2nd
PHI 3rd

Draft Pavel Zacha

CBJ-Toronto
To CBJ
Pick #25 (Draft Jeremy Roy RHD)

To Toronto
CBJ 2nd
CBJ 3rd
Wild 5th

That's alot of movement, but I could see it working. There are a few teams that are just starting a rebuilb that are going to want as many picks and prospects as they can get their hands on.
I could maybe see the CBJ-Toronto deal working out but Arizona will never trade OEL. He's a young #1D, you build around that.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I could maybe see the CBJ-Toronto deal working out but Arizona will never trade OEL. He's a young #1D, you build around that.

I would agree, but I remember some rumors at the trade deadline saying he might be available for the right price, which is the only reason I chose him as a target.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Your post simply helped me clarify what I want to comment on. No knock on you but I think many have a common comment of indicating what is wanted at the draft to hero the current holes on the existing team.

Xoggz, never stop posting from your phone lol

We have a lot of picks this year, and thanks to this rotten winning/points streak, we've lost out on a good pick. Ok, I'm being sarcastic; but any chance we package some picks to move up? I know nobody can say, but feelings?

I think keeping and using all our picks is preferable, but maybe JK really likes one of those D-men.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

We have a lot of picks this year, and thanks to this rotten winning/points streak, we've lost out on a good pick. Ok, I'm being sarcastic; but any chance we package some picks to move up? I know nobody can say, but feelings?

I think keeping and using all our picks is preferable, but maybe JK really likes one of those D-men.

Glad to see you finally get it :laugh:

I don't think it is very easy to trade up as others have pointed out previously but I'd be in favor of a 2 for 1 (or 3 for 2) kind of swap to get a guy we really want. I don't expect that to happen early in Rd 1 but maybe 2 of our seconds and a 3rd to get a late 1st rd'er or very early 2nd might happen.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Rather just go after Franson in the offseason as a top 4 RH dman Murray Fanson Johnson Savard that's pretty good

Considering I don't really like the play of Savard, Johnson, or Franson and Murray can't stay healthy I will have to respectfully disagree. We have adequate defensive depth with Johnson and Savard, but what we are missing are players that will allow our roster D to slot in where they should rather than playing higher in the lineup than they should. Adding a reliable top pairing player (even if we have to play a premium) to the talented, but fragile Murray would improve our D by leaps and bounds whereas adding Franson is more of the same, IMO.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Glad to see you finally get it :laugh:

I don't think it is very easy to trade up as others have pointed out previously but I'd be in favor of a 2 for 1 (or 3 for 2) kind of swap to get a guy we really want. I don't expect that to happen early in Rd 1 but maybe 2 of our seconds and a 3rd to get a late 1st rd'er or very early 2nd might happen.

I've seen the light! :laugh: Glad your Austin cool hasn't gotten ruffled over my coniptions :)

Last year, I need my memory refreshed, did we trade any of our picks? I feel like we must have to have so many picks this year, but I seem to remember we wound up using all of our picks. I do remember there being some thinking that with 3 first-rounders, maybe we make a package to move up, but obviously Jarmo did no such thing.

So this is me thinking through that based on last year, you're probably right. Jarmo does love his picks, maybe. Although every year is different, so who knows. I'm not thinking of moving way high up, like top-5, but it may be difficult to find a trade partner at any position, anyway.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I've seen the light! :laugh: Glad your Austin cool hasn't gotten ruffled over my coniptions :)

Last year, I need my memory refreshed, did we trade any of our picks? I feel like we must have to have so many picks this year, but I seem to remember we wound up using all of our picks. I do remember there being some thinking that with 3 first-rounders, maybe we make a package to move up, but obviously Jarmo did no such thing.

So this is me thinking through that based on last year, you're probably right. Jarmo does love his picks, maybe. Although every year is different, so who knows. I'm not thinking of moving way high up, like top-5, but it may be difficult to find a trade partner at any position, anyway.

Last year we did trade something:

The Edmonton Oilers' third-round pick went to the Detroit Red Wings as the result of a trade on June 28, 2014 that sent a third-round pick in 2014 (76th overall) and a third-round pick in 2015 to Columbus in exchange for this pick.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I think that was supposed to say fill current needs... My bad.

My position is that we are going to have a solid option in the top 10 and I hope some high risk/reward options in the second round. I don't think we keep all our picks though.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
There was a thread in the trade rumors about a scenario that if NYI lost in the first round that Buffalo might try to trade down to around 10 or so and might involve the NYI pick and both seconds. Do you think Jarmo would bite on that? I mean 6 picks in the first 2 rounds would probably overflow our prospect pool..

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Trading Cam Atkinson and all of those picks for a forward who may score five more goals than Atkinson is silly. With the current lineup we could have as many as six 20+ goal scorers and still leave room for Rychel to make his debut. Calvert would be good for another 15 and Wennberg can probably deliver 10. We are solid on offense.

Ww should be focusing resources and draft picks on getting a top defense man and not watering down our draft assets worrying about another forward.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...Ww should be focusing resources and draft picks on getting a top defense man and not watering down our draft assets worrying about another forward.

I agree. The current team has scored decently, but the GA have been terrible. They've outscored the Pens, for instance, but have given up 40 more goals. In fact, they've outscored the Habs, top team in the Atlantic, but have given up 60 more goals! It's the defense that need serious upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad