2015 NHL Draft Thread (Lottery: 4/18, Draft: 6/26-6/27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Here's the race in a nutshell before Colorado-Nashville

Philly- Carolina, Ottawa 83 pts
Fla- Boston & NJ 87 pts
SJ @Edmonton & @LA 87 pts
Colorado- Nshville, WPG & Chi. 84 pts
Dallas - @Nashville, Anaheim 88 pts
Blue Jackets - Toronto, Buffalo, @Isles 83 pts

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Here's the race in a nutshell before Colorado-Nashville

Fla- Boston & NJ 87 pts
Colorado- Nshville, WPG & Chi. 84 pts

We are definitely passing Philly and Colorado. Two tankalicious teams at home = 87 points. Philly will be must win for Ottawa and Colorado's schedule is brutal.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Trading Cam Atkinson and all of those picks for a forward who may score five more goals than Atkinson is silly. With the current lineup we could have as many as six 20+ goal scorers and still leave room for Rychel to make his debut. Calvert would be good for another 15 and Wennberg can probably deliver 10. We are solid on offense.

Ww should be focusing resources and draft picks on getting a top defense man and not watering down our draft assets worrying about another forward.

Agreed.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Trading Cam Atkinson and all of those picks for a forward who may score five more goals than Atkinson is silly. With the current lineup we could have as many as six 20+ goal scorers and still leave room for Rychel to make his debut. Calvert would be good for another 15 and Wennberg can probably deliver 10. We are solid on offense.

Ww should be focusing resources and draft picks on getting a top defense man and not watering down our draft assets worrying about another forward.

Bingo.

We have 3 goal scorers in the league's top 30 or so. We don't have a single top 30 D-man in terms of all-around play, perhaps not even in the top 60.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Pete's point about how we have outscored the Habs but given up 60 more goals cannot be lost on JD & JK. They have got to be focused in like lasers on how to improve the D. Trading JJ or Tyuts is probably part of that improvement. Adding that high draft pick d-man is certainly part of the longer term solution.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Pete's point about how we have outscored the Habs but given up 60 more goals cannot be lost on JD & JK. They have got to be focused in like lasers on how to improve the D. Trading JJ or Tyuts is probably part of that improvement. Adding that high draft pick d-man is certainly part of the longer term solution.
To me honestly I think Tyutin is the oddman out on the blueline. JJ has really picked up lately, i mean he was so close to the game winner last night in OT but was robbed by Lundquist.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Here's the race* in a nutshell reflecting big wins by PHilly & Colorado last night

Fla- Boston & NJ 87 pts
Colorado- WPG & Chi.86 pts

* race as in a Lindsay Vonn special -downhill :laugh:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I agree. The current team has scored decently, but the GA have been terrible. They've outscored the Pens, for instance, but have given up 40 more goals. In fact, they've outscored the Habs, top team in the Atlantic, but have given up 60 more goals! It's the defense that need serious upgrade.

Again this thread is veering off of draft talk, but since we're here...

I notice that the goalie stats area on NHL.com lists the top 10 in each stat category. I also notice a certain name missing from the top 10 in every one. (Hint: It's not Steve Mason)

League Average GAA: 2.53
Sergei Bobrovsky GAA: 2.76

League Average SV%: .914
Sergei Bobrovsky SV%: .916

A cursory look at basic stats indicates that, with Bob around league average in save percentage but well below in goals against, that the team is giving up too many shots. I think we all recognize that already.

But I would also offer that I'm pretty sure we're all hoping for better than the dreaded "league average goaltending" from Bob.

Now, I don't think the team is looking to use assets (draft picks) to upgrade the position like it should to bolster the blueline (there's a offseason slogan for you), so again I've gone off-topic.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
DSL- Scary thing about Bob is he did a similar thing in Philly was great, then went back down. maybe that's just the nature of goaltending?
Now I firmly believe he will be special again next year, but due to that and also his injury history I hope we spend some money on a quality NHL backup, and we don't do the usual CBJ special of spending as little as possible on the backup. Not that we want a 1A and 1B situation but need a solid 2 that can play 20 games, and if needed 30.
McH has done a nice job this year and I would happily take him back but he's a prime example of someone who probably played himself into a solid NHL backup contract (2/3 years at 1-1.5M per year) and I'm not sure if the CBJ will pay that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Now, I don't think the team is looking to use assets (draft picks) to upgrade the position like it should to bolster the blueline (there's a offseason slogan for you), so again I've gone off-topic.

Where's a mod when you need one? :laugh:

And since we're off topic a bit the whole hub bub about trading draft picks (on topic reference) for a F was only in response to an inquiry about Coture/Pavelski. I agree that given an opportunity to obtain a D in equal quality to those 2 most would opt for the D. However if the only deal presented was for one of those 2 I think we have to consider it.

Nice wins last night by Colorado & Philly to help keep us down.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Exactly. This is what I have been trying to say, but you said it better. Thanks.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
In Regards to Bob I don't think that he will ever be a goalie that puts up ridiculous shutout numbers, but he has time after time made the saves that matter. To me he is very similar to Jonathan Quick a very capable goalie that will also make the key saves. In addition this is the worst defense he has played behind as a Blue Jacket, so naturally a better defense will likely see his stats improve.

As to the draft I just think our prospect depth, particularly at forward allows us the ability to trade a lot of our assets for upgrades on both Defense (as everyone wants too) and Offense. As i said before I would like to come out of this draft with at least one top pairing defenseman and a super-star ceiling prospect. The other thing I would like to see is using our draft assets in order to ship out some players (i.e. Boll, Clarkson, Bourque) to clear cap space for roster flexibility as well as to save real $ for farther down the road.

Also, I really love Werenski as a player but after Schultz, Hayes, and now Reilly I am having alot of doubt about drafting any kid that goes to college. Losing out on a 4th rd pick like Reilly hurts but being spurned by a top 10 pick would be truly awful.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
In Regards to Bob I don't think that he will ever be a goalie that puts up ridiculous shutout numbers, but he has time after time made the saves that matter. To me he is very similar to Jonathan Quick a very capable goalie that will also make the key saves. In addition this is the worst defense he has played behind as a Blue Jacket, so naturally a better defense will likely see his stats improve.

As to the draft I just think our prospect depth, particularly at forward allows us the ability to trade a lot of our assets for upgrades on both Defense (as everyone wants too) and Offense. As i said before I would like to come out of this draft with at least one top pairing defenseman and a super-star ceiling prospect. The other thing I would like to see is using our draft assets in order to ship out some players (i.e. Boll, Clarkson, Bourque) to clear cap space for roster flexibility as well as to save real $ for farther down the road.

Also, I really love Werenski as a player but after Schultz, Hayes, and now Reilly I am having alot of doubt about drafting any kid that goes to college. Losing out on a 4th rd pick like Reilly hurts but being spurned by a top 10 pick would be truly awful.

The bolded bothers me. So you would have passed on Trouba, Merrill, Hanifin, Greene, etc?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Here's the race* in a nutshell reflecting big wins by PHilly & Colorado last night

Fla- Boston & NJ 87 pts
Colorado- WPG & Chi.86 pts

* race as in a Lindsay Vonn special -downhill :laugh:

Philly has 84 pts...

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
The bolded bothers me. So you would have passed on Trouba, Merrill, Hanifin, Greene, etc?

Passed on is a "relative term" obviously those guys would be drafted.

I agree with the OP though--its one thing for a late blooming 4th rounder for spurn us and recieve nothing. It's another for us to competely waste a top ten pick if there's a decent chance the kid won't play for us. I agree that would devastating for the franchise and the risk is substantial in evaluating each college kid going forward. It sucks but whatever.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Passed on is a "relative term" obviously those guys would be drafted.

I agree with the OP though--its one thing for a late blooming 4th rounder for spurn us and recieve nothing. It's another for us to competely waste a top ten pick if there's a decent chance the kid won't play for us. I agree that would devastating for the franchise and the risk is substantial in evaluating each college kid going forward. It sucks but whatever.

Not only would I not pass on guys who are going to college, I actually prefer we draft guys who are going to college.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
Lawson Crouse is 6'4 215 at 17 years old, but fifth overall seems really high. Dude is going to be a monster, but he's put up a mere fraction of the points of Marner and Strome. I'll be interested to see where he lands in other rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad