2015 nfl mvp

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
With only a few games to go, its clear who the MVP candidates are.

Choices are (I looked thru a couple different sites to find some sort of consensus)

QB Tom Brady - New Enngland Patriots
QB Carson Palmer - Arizona Cardinals
QB Aaron Rodgers - Green Bay Packers
WR Antonio Brown - Pittsburgh Steelers
QB Ben Roethlisberger - Pittsburgh Steelers
RB Adrian Peterson - Minnesota Vikings
QB Cam Newton - Carolina Panthers

For me its Palmer. the guy is just so critical to his teams success its crazy, especially given how well he splaying at his age & coming off a second torn ACL. The Cards were 7-1 when he was injured (8-1 after the game he got injured in) and went 3-4 the rest of the way. Its a good indication about how valuable he is to the team.

Last edited:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Funny the last time we did this, I said Cam and was told he wasn't a legit candidate :laugh:

I think it's Newton hands down. Palmer and Brady get nominations, but Cam is the easy winner.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Newton is barely even a top 10 QB this season. This would be like when Bartolo Colon won a Cy Young award because he had a bunch of wins. There are so many better options than Newton.

*Bob Richards*

Just because Brown was mentioned, what kind a season would a WR have to put up to actually win an MVP? It's otherwise dominated by QBs and RBs.

Other than that, I'd vote for Cameron.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Just because Brown was mentioned, what kind a season would a WR have to put up to actually win an MVP? It's otherwise dominated by QBs and RBs.

Other than that, I'd vote for Cameron.

In 2012 when he broke records and had an all-time great season his name wasn't mentioned much. But I don't have the voting results so I'm not sure.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tom Brady. Without him Pats are probably 4-10.

Probably even worse, but I get the point you made.

Cam has been great but when you have that kind of defence behind you, your team will be very good. Best LB in the league and a top 5 CB, just to start.

Newton is barely even a top 10 QB this season. This would be like when Bartolo Colon won a Cy Young award because he had a bunch of wins. There are so many better options than Newton.

This is such a good comparison and unique one too.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Ahhh yes, one of those "intangibles" guys. Nice to see football stuck in the stone ages still.

He currently has the most td's in the NFL, and could easily set the Panthers franchise record (40, 46). That he's doing so with arguably the worst receiver group in the league makes that more impressive.

That said, I think Toews is easily the best comparison for Newton, NFL to NHL. Leadership, face of franchise on a very good team with other superstars, unique skill set, held back 'merely' by production.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
He currently has the most td's in the NFL, and could easily set the Panthers franchise record (40, 46). That he's doing so with arguably the worst receiver group in the league makes that more impressive.

That said, I think Toews is easily the best comparison for Newton, NFL to NHL. Leadership, face of franchise on a very good team with other superstars, unique skill set, held back 'merely' by production.

Franchise records have exactly as much value as my morning dumps when it comes to determining the MVP.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
What about being outside the top 5 in everything else?

He's first in rushing yards and rushing tds for a qb..

Look you can vote for whomever, I just disagreed that the only argument newton has is that he plays for a good team (or as you put it, he only has "intangibles"). There are statistics that back up newton. Brady would have a better chance if he were getting hot now (as newton) vs. starring off hot and then relatively cooking off...I think it's close, newton first Brady second.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
He's first in rushing yards and rushing tds for a qb..

Look you can vote for whomever, I just disagreed that the only argument newton has is that he plays for a good team (or as you put it, he only has "intangibles"). There are statistics that back up newton. Brady would have a better chance if he were getting hot now (as newton) vs. starring off hot and then relatively cooking off...I think it's close, newton first Brady second.

Those are such cherry picked stats. You may as well have thrown in receiving yards by a QB. The fact is he is outside of the top 5 in completion percentage, total yards, passing yards, QB rating, Total QBR so I'm sorry if his 2 TD lead over Brady (who smokes him everywhere else) isn't enough for me to bow down. He is nowehere close to being the MVP and if his team wsn't 14-0 you'd be laughed at for even suggesting it.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Did you really just compare qb rushing yards to qb receiving yards? That's laughable, you just really want to double down on your "no statistical argument" claim.

BTW newton has better yards per attempt (6th vs 7th) and Carolina has better yards per completion 2nd vs new englands not first, than Brady or ne.

And again, I'm not even saying newton should win, I disagree that there is no argument to be made at all. I've given you 4 stats where newton is 1st or second, and 1 where he's 6th (but still better than Brady).

Again, tho, calling rushing yards cherry picked....:laugh:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Tom Brady. Without him Pats are probably 4-10.

Maybe with an average QB the Pats are 12-2. Brady is just a product of the system.

Not sure about that, last time he went down Cassell made the pro bowl and is still employed off of that one season.

Yep. Matt Cassell is not an NFL-caliber QB, yet won 11 games with the Patriots when Brady was hurt. Every game Cassell plays further proves how important an offensive system and teammates can be to a QB's success, and how greatly Brady benefits from his situation.

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
Based on stats and the injuries the team has had to go through I think Tom Brady is the most deserving candidate, but the problem is if Carolina goes 16-0 there's no way that Cam doesn't win it.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Cam Newton is "barely a top ten QB" and is lucky cause he has the best LB & top 5 CB?

Let's not act like Brady doesn't have good-great players on his defence and the potential GOAT coach and probably most dominating offensive player outside of QB in Gronk...

It's probably gonna be

Cam/Brady
Palmer
Brown

as the top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad