Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Pick #155 - Stephen Desrocher - Defense - Oshawa OHL - 6' 3"/198

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Would be kind of funny and sad if we didn't sign him. We drafted him only last year, and then he follows it up with as good a year as you could ever hope from a player like him. It would really beg the question, then why even draft him?

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Don't shoot the messenger. Toronto drafted three 19 year-old defensemen last year; Dermott, Nielson, Desrochers. Desrochers is the only one not signed to an ELC. He is possible on the bubble.

When is the deadline to sign him? ie. a draftee from the CHL?

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Don't shoot the messenger. Toronto drafted three 19 year-old defensemen last year; Dermott, Nielson, Desrochers. Desrochers is the only one not signed to an ELC. He is possible on the bubble.

Just as a heads up, it's a little confusing because Dermott and Nielsen are both late birthdays.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Will he play OHL, AHL, or ECHL next year? He is eligible for all 3 leagues.

Hard to say. We have 3 rookie defencemen potentially coming to the Marlies at the same, plus Valiev as a second year. Campbell + Holl will have a lot of leading to do.

I'd honestly take the risk of having him on the Marlies and just rotate the kids.

StingRay5

Sep 26, 2014
Pickering
I've watched Desrocher since his first rookie camp ( Oshawa Gens seasons ticket holder). He was very green and made lots of mistakes at the beginning of his first season but was remarkable at his level of improvement for each game. He has a great shot and became very good at skating the puck out of his own end and learned to make some real smart first passes. I would really like to see him start at the ECHL level to learn how to be a pro before he makes the jump to the marlies to help in his development.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've watched Desrocher since his first rookie camp ( Oshawa Gens seasons ticket holder). He was very green and made lots of mistakes at the beginning of his first season but was remarkable at his level of improvement for each game. He has a great shot and became very good at skating the puck out of his own end and learned to make some real smart first passes. I would really like to see him start at the ECHL level to learn how to be a pro before he makes the jump to the marlies to help in his development.

I believe he was a forward until Midget, could explain some of the greenness.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Wonder if they can sign him to an AHL contract for the year before needing to sign him to an ELC. That way he can play in the AHL/ECHL. It's not as if they have a ton of high-quality depth down there.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Would be kind of funny and sad if we didn't sign him. We drafted him only last year, and then he follows it up with as good a year as you could ever hope from a player like him. It would really beg the question, then why even draft him?
Agreed, though it sounds like we've still got a full year to sign him, so Lou may just be "dangling a carrot." Desrocher started out really raw, so they probably want to see one more year of "push yourself hard, keep improving to earn that offer" before giving him a contract.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Is this kids career done? Do any unsigned ohl prospects make an nhl career after playing canadian post secondary hockey?
Would be very very surprising if he ever got a sniff; even AHL would be a stretch.

Id venture to say he took a legit program at Western and keeping his options open on career path.

If he does make it, it would be a good story. He was very solid for us in Oshawa during the run.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Stay in School ..

I played CIS University Hockey (or CIAU as it was known back then) while earning my degrees, but not good enough to advance beyond that level as very few are as the real goal by going this route is education and not professional hockey careers.

Dr. Randy Gregg (was the only player I knew in my time), that went from Canadian University Hockey (University of Alberta) to the NHL as he did with the Edmonton Oilers in the 1980's, while he was studying to become a Doctor.

Former Leafs prospect Desrocher played all his eligible year in the CHL and once he didn't get any real professional offers returned to school, which I think was a smart move for his future as his hockey career aspirations are all but over at this point.

Reactions: Hurt and hotpaws

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You can find few cases over the course of time that fit this narrative .

Case in point..

Derek Ryan played 4 years in the CHL with Spokane Chiefs but never got drafted, then he went on to 4 years at the University of Alberta and got his degree.. Not wanting to give up on his hockey career just yet he went a played a few years in Europe including a year in the Swedish hockey league (SHL) .. He was signed by Carolina as a UFA "free wallet" based on his SHL Forward of the Year success, began his NHL career at age 29, and now currently plays for the Calgary Flames in 2018-19.

#Determination

So you can find some rare exceptions to the rule, but generally for 95% or more CIS hockey is just just for fun/pass-time , as your real goal is an education and earning a living outside of a professional hockey player.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Joel Ward is the only guy I can think of in the last 20 years. Didn't the leafs sign a guy out of the CIS a few years ago? As I recall he didn't last long in the minors.

Anyway, he seems like a good kid. Hopefully he's enjoying his CIS hockey and getting an education that will serve him well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Joel Ward is the only guy I can think of in the last 20 years. Didn't the leafs sign a guy out of the CIS a few years ago? As I recall he didn't last long in the minors.

Anyway, he seems like a good kid. Hopefully he's enjoying his CIS hockey and getting an education that will serve him well.

Are you thinking of former Leaf/Marlie Darryl Boyce?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad