Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Pick #155 - Stephen Desrocher - Defense - Oshawa OHL - 6' 3"/198

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
He's not a fan of Phaneuf

CIhcGu6UEAAU7QI.jpg

:yo:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Given his history with a deranged overbearing male figure in his life - I think Sheldon Keefe will be the perfect coach for Desrocher going forward. I respect the Leafs willingness to look at the present and future with peeps and not the past - leave that crap to the media and bottom-feeding so-called fans.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Don Cherry was on the Fan590 and stated that this kid is the steal of the draft. He really likes him and feels he will come out as one of the best dmen in the '15 draft.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don Cherry was on the Fan590 and stated that this kid is the steal of the draft. He really likes him and feels he will come out as one of the best dmen in the '15 draft.

I was told pretty much the same thing. Not "steal of the draft" but that it was unbelievable he fell that far.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Desrocher was a prominent d-man for the Generals during the M-Cup run and final game. He was well coached and played the game to his abilities. Boy, if he can play that well in the AHL and beyond... we got us a steal.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Desrocher was a prominent d-man for the Generals during the M-Cup run and final game. He was well coached and played the game to his abilities. Boy, if he can play that well in the AHL and beyond... we got us a steal.

Word on the street is we have a great coach signed long term that loves these type of players. And has a system that makes the average players look great in any aspect of their games. IF the kid is a learner which it seems he is. If the kid has hockey IQ and skills which it seems he does. This kid is a steal.

Watched this guy play a comparable in our modern day NHL on good nights is Jay Boumeester.

Last edited:

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015
Not bad stats for a player who has not scored very much in other years at the OHL level:

7GP 3G 4A 7PTS 6 PM -4

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I know it's very, very early in the season, but being tied for 2nd in D-man scoring is pretty good for a late round pick who hasn't been know for his offense in the past.

Anyone watch him play this season? I'm curious what kind of ice-time he's getting.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I know it's very, very early in the season, but being tied for 2nd in D-man scoring is pretty good for a late round pick who hasn't been know for his offense in the past.

Anyone watch him play this season? I'm curious what kind of ice-time he's getting.

He's noticeably raw, but he has the potential to become an NHL'er. His big frame helps him, and he has a bullet of a shot. Oshawa should be a top team again this year and Desrocher should be the top dman there.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

I watched him in the home opener for the Bulldogs. He seemed to be their #1 dman, so he's getting lots of time for development.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
hes actually 19 guys, pretty sure hes in his draft +1(was passed over last year if im not mistaken)

I believe that is correct. All of Dermott, Neilsen, and Desrocher are in their 19 year old (biological Draft+2) and will be Ahl eligible next year.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I believe that is correct. All of Dermott, Neilsen, and Desrocher are in their 19 year old (biological Draft+2) and will be Ahl eligible next year.

not sure but ahl aligiblity but dermott and nielson are turning 19 this year, desrocher is turning 20, hes almost a year older then the other two

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Dermott and Neilsen are both 18 years old, born Dec 22nd, 1996 and Nov 16th, 1996 respectively. Desrocher is 19, and was born Jan 26th, 1996. Desrocher is the only one of the three who was not drafted in his first eligible year.

I'm not sure exactly how the CHL/AHL rules work, but I have heard that Dermott will be able to play in the AHL next year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
not sure but ahl aligiblity but dermott and nielson are turning 19 this year, desrocher is turning 20, hes almost a year older then the other two

Dermott and Neilsen are both 18 years old, born Dec 22nd, 1996 and Nov 16th, 1996 respectively. Desrocher is 19, and was born Jan 26th, 1996. Desrocher is the only one of the three who was not drafted in his first eligible year.

I'm not sure exactly how the CHL/AHL rules work, but I have heard that Dermott will be able to play in the AHL next year.

Yes. All 96's, therefore all in their last year of non Over-age CHL eligbility and IIHF U-20 eligibilility, all AHL eligible next year.

Late birthday draft rule is stupid. Either hold them all back a year or let the odd player play at "17"

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What if this was a tweet mocking Phil Kessel?

He's 18. This summer at Rookie camp he'll learn that you can't do this as a pro athlete. Actually no one should be this disrespectful to anyone.

Hopefully he's matured a bit since then. No doubt a pretty embarrassing tweet for him. You don't want to be one of those people.

He's attached his real name so isn't hiding behind a pseudonym on anonymous board.

Lots of disrespect on this board every day, but no one has to own up to it.

Maybe the tweets were about playing hockey in May? :sarcasm:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The Oshawa Generals announced on Tuesday that the team has traded defenceman Stephen Desrocher to the Kingston Frontenacs in exchange for a 2nd round draft pick in 2017, a 2nd round draft pick in 2018, a 3rd round draft pick in 2016, a 5th round draft pick in 2016 and conditional draft picks. WOW

I'll miss being able to see you with ease.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
The Oshawa Generals announced on Tuesday that the team has traded defenceman Stephen Desrocher to the Kingston Frontenacs in exchange for a 2nd round draft pick in 2017, a 2nd round draft pick in 2018, a 3rd round draft pick in 2016, a 5th round draft pick in 2016 and conditional draft picks. WOW

I'll miss being able to see you with ease.

What does this mean for him? Will he be thrust into a greater role? I assume he will be the #2 behind McKeown.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
What does this mean for him? Will he be thrust into a greater role? I assume he will be the #2 behind McKeown.

Odd..Didn't see Kingston as any kind of contender.
Maybe they will try to be the Oshawa of last year; watch as the other conference is overhyped and slide into the finals by the way of a less bumpy road.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I go to 20 Gens games a year and was shocked and pleased he fell this far to the Leafs. Kid is at worse a bottom pairing dman.

I was definitely pleased - refreshing to see these picks go to the Leafs. Watching him last year and into the memorial cup, I saw him as one of those picks another team makes; we look back and wonder why we took a unknown longshot instead.

I haven't seen many games this year - I did like what I saw last year; he seemed to develop a ton throughout the year. Looked raw (good size, decent shot etc), he seemed to polish up and develop nicely as the year went on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad