Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Pick #155 - Stephen Desrocher - Defense - Oshawa OHL - 6' 3"/198

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Looks like he played very well actually, here is a link:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/21664

He seems to be getting a bit of revenge too sticking it to his old team.

Since he will be on the Marlies next year I suspect TJ Brennan won't be back and he will likely take over his spot. I am amazed at how well every draft propect is playing lights out this year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Since he will be on the Marlies next year I suspect TJ Brennan won't be back and he will likely take over his spot. I am amazed at how well every draft propect is playing lights out this year.

Does he have actual NHL potential?

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Apparently Derochers, Dermott and Neilsen are all eligible to jump to the Marlies next year. Hard to imagine all 3 being on the team when you look at current players, also. I suppose Dermott and/or Neilsen could go back to junior as an overager.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes
Apparently Derochers, Dermott and Neilsen are all eligible to jump to the Marlies next year. Hard to imagine all 3 being on the team when you look at current players, also. I suppose Dermott and/or Neilsen could go back to junior as an overager.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Desrocher go back to junior. He's done nothing to suggest that he has leaped ahead of Dermott and Neilsen on the depth chart especially when competing for a Marlies position.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

I'd send Dermott back down

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised to see Desrocher go back to junior. He's done nothing to suggest that he has leaped ahead of Dermott and Neilsen on the depth chart especially when competing for a Marlies position.

ECHL is also an option for him and could very likely be used. We've seen this year how thin the defence got for the Marlies. Desrochers could split the season between the Marlies and the Solar Bears. That's a whole lot better than going back for an overager year. Get him used to playing as a pro and develop at a slow pace. Dubas and the Leafs have said they will not be shy about using the Solar Bears as a development tool.

That's assuming of course he's capable of handling the pro level. If he struggles badly, then of course the OHL is likely the next step.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Marlies D next year

The Marlies carry 8 Dman. Really the ECHL is not an option, for a player deemed to an NHLer (goalies excepted).
Gotta figure Desrouches, Neilsen and Dermot. make the Marlies
Loov and Valiev are waver eligible.
If veteran Dman Brennan wants to get back,
Do the Leafs resign Harrington and Percy?
Does Holl come back?

Certainly the first five that I mentioned are potential NHLers. All this talk about the Leafs not having Dman prospects to me is not reasonable.
Then the Leafs...Rielly Gardiner, Carrick, maybe Corrado and Zaitsev....that's a young group.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He will be a 'modern day' stay home defnseman.
I'm excited to see ifhe can make the next jump to the ahl.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Marlies carry 8 Dman. Really the ECHL is not an option, for a player deemed to an NHLer (goalies excepted).
Gotta figure Desrouches, Neilsen and Dermot. make the Marlies
Loov and Valiev are waver eligible.
If veteran Dman Brennan wants to get back,
Do the Leafs resign Harrington and Percy?
Does Holl come back?

Certainly the first five that I mentioned are potential NHLers. All this talk about the Leafs not having Dman prospects to me is not reasonable.
Then the Leafs...Rielly Gardiner, Carrick, maybe Corrado and Zaitsev....that's a young group.

I don't think Valiev is waiver eligible. This was his first pro-season.

I see Percy being moved this off-season.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Drafted players almost never go back to junior for an overage season. Stephen D will be with the Marlies/ or solar bears.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
  1. Campbell
  2. Valiev
  3. Desrocher
  4. Dermott
  5. Neilsen
Possible: Brennan/Holl/Stanton
Bubble/Trade: Harrington/Percy/Loov

Don't see a problem.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes
ECHL is also an option for him and could very likely be used. We've seen this year how thin the defence got for the Marlies. Desrochers could split the season between the Marlies and the Solar Bears. That's a whole lot better than going back for an overager year. Get him used to playing as a pro and develop at a slow pace. Dubas and the Leafs have said they will not be shy about using the Solar Bears as a development tool.

That's assuming of course he's capable of handling the pro level. If he struggles badly, then of course the OHL is likely the next step.

Good point with the ECHL and likely the correct one. I was checking out there roster the other day and didn't recognize anybody other that Rupert and Rodewald. I guess I just forget about them sometimes, but as time goes on I suspect they will be increasingly relevant with draft picks being sent there.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Good point with the ECHL and likely the correct one. I was checking out there roster the other day and didn't recognize anybody other that Rupert and Rodewald. I guess I just forget about them sometimes, but as time goes on I suspect they will be increasingly relevant with draft picks being sent there.

As they keep adding prospects like they're going out of style, I expect this to be true.

I would expect a goalie, couple of D prospects, and maybe even one or two forward prospects starting the year next year in Orlando, and being called up as injury fill-ins for their first pro season.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Loov won't be traded. He's Polaks replacement and higher on the depth chart than Valiev.

Percy will definitely be moved.

Probably should have used promotion/traded for that group: Harrington/Percy/Loov

Not sure Loov is higher than Valiev on the depth chart anymore. He's played extremely well for the leafs.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
  1. Campbell
  2. Valiev
  3. Desrocher
  4. Dermott
  5. Neilsen
Possible: Brennan/Holl/Stanton
Bubble/Trade: Harrington/Percy/Loov

Don't see a problem.

I have to be honest, I'm pretty surprised the Leafs have Valiev up while Percy is still playing on the Marlies. Not that Valiev has been bad, just thought it would be a perfect time to see what they have (if anything) in Percy.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I have to be honest, I'm pretty surprised the Leafs have Valiev up while Percy is still playing on the Marlies. Not that Valiev has been bad, just thought it would be a perfect time to see what they have (if anything) in Percy.

My guess is Babs/organization prefer D who can skate the puck out with speed. Percy has plateaued and will probably be in a package deal this summer. Add Harrington, Corrado and possibly Loov to that likely to be moved list.

Also wouldn't surprise me to see Valiev down with the marlies for another season to play top minutes in all situations alongside Campbell. I'm really impressed with how well he's transitioned to the NHL.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Don't shoot the messenger. Toronto drafted three 19 year-old defensemen last year; Dermott, Nielson, Desrochers. Desrochers is the only one not signed to an ELC. He is possible on the bubble.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Don't shoot the messenger. Toronto drafted three 19 year-old defensemen last year; Dermott, Nielson, Desrochers. Desrochers is the only one not signed to an ELC. He is possible on the bubble.

True. That said, what more did he have to do this season to warrant a contract? Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad