Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I have no idea what people see in Connor Brown and Stuart Percy, neither of them have that "It" factor if you ask me. Percy can hide behind the statement that D-men take longer to develop but in Brown I don't see any part of his game that make me say "He's gonna be an NHLer"

Bracco strikes me as a guy who will be an NHLer and I think next year many will be talking about him as our 4th best prospect... just a hunch.

Well I see determination, offense, never giving up on the play, great work ethic and character. This kid just keeps proving everyone wrong . If his first year in the A where he lead all rookies in scoring as well as our team didn't get your attention, I doubt anything will.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Percy. He may be older then some of the other guys here but hes shown what hes capable of at the nhl level already (albeit a brief stint). Looked anywhere from a #2-#4 D.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have no idea what people see in Connor Brown and Stuart Percy, neither of them have that "It" factor if you ask me. Percy can hide behind the statement that D-men take longer to develop but in Brown I don't see any part of his game that make me say "He's gonna be an NHLer"

Bracco strikes me as a guy who will be an NHLer and I think next year many will be talking about him as our 4th best prospect... just a hunch.

You needed to watch the Marlies over the last year to know why Brown is a top 5 prospect of this team. One of the most consistent players and one of the best rookies of the AHL. Skills, smarts and character. I don't think you realize how skilled he is.

As for Percy, I still think he's a top 4 potential defender but his skating could hold him back a bit. He's an average skater with adequate offensive skills. Where he excels though is playing a smart and poised defensive game. Not a flashy defender but I think he's the kind of defenceman we need more of.

Bracco was just drafted and has had plenty of question marks about his game. I'm not sure how you can confidently say he's a NHLer at this point while Brown and Percy aren't. Brown and Percy are very much ahead of him in terms of development and also their impact at the NHL. If/when Bracco keeps rising as a prospect and develops the way some see, then he'll be a top prospect in no time.

Last edited:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
It's not just about talent. It's also about likliness to make the NHL and/or make an impact.
Percy is all but guaranteed for the latter two categories

Oh ok that makes this ranking make more sense to me. I thought we were voting on the best prospects but I guess we're voting on who is closest to making to making the NHL. My mistake. My bad.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Connor Brown was leading Marlie point getter as a rookie and a determined leader. Percy is a good talented defender - not our #5 by any stretch but if he can stay healthy he is a solid 2nd pairing guy. Hi IQ. Injury-prone though.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Everyone seems to be voting differently which is making it interesting.

Some are going for safe (likely to play in NHL), some are going for ceiling (top potential) and others are going for a combination of both.

To me, I'd see it as:

5- Bracco - top line potential, size is overblown - decent chance to make it
6- Percy - # 3 Dman potential, developing nicely
7- Johnson - top 6 potential, producing in a mens league
8- Dermott - #3 Dman potential, further to go than Percy
9- Gauthier - Solid checking centre, good chance to reach potential
10- Korostelev - top 6 potential, big boy - consistency usually addressed by maturity
11- Dzierkals - top 6 potential, underrated and will likely jump in the rankings next year
12- Lindgren - big, all around D with the faith in Bergman
13- Loov - top 4 D potential - does everything well and almost there
14- Bibeau - 1B potential, developing nicely
15- Valiev - top 4 D potential - can't wait to see what he does turning pro
16- Timashyov - top 6 potential, a ways to climb and needs to add a lot of strength
17- Leipsic - top 9 potential, making great progress
18- Finn - top 4 potential, needs a good rebound year
19- Hyman - top 9 potential, close to fully developed
20 - Engvall - Boom or bust top 9 potential, will be interesting to watch next couple of years

HM (top 9, bottom pairing): Verhaeghe, Toninato, Nilsson, Granberg, Soshnikov, Bailey

The most exciting thing is the massive improvement to the depth of the pool! So ... .excited.... can't .... contain .... :popcorn:

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009

Some are going for safe (likely to play in NHL), some are going for ceiling (top potential) and others are going for a combination of both.

To me, I'd see it as:

10- Korostelev - top 6 potential, big boy - consistency usually addressed by maturity
11- Dzierkals - top 6 potential, underrated and will likely jump in the rankings next year
16- Timashyov - top 6 potential, a ways to climb and needs to add a lot of strength
20 - Engvall - Boom or bust top 9 potential, will be interesting to watch next couple of years

HM (top 9, bottom pairing): Verhaeghe, Toninato, Nilsson, Granberg, Soshnikov, Bailey

The most exciting thing is the massive improvement to the depth of the pool! So ... .excited.... can't .... contain .... :popcorn:

Absolutely criminal that you don't have Leivo in your top 20, or even as an honorable mention. He had a bit of an off year but everything about his game translates very well to the NHL...just needs to be more consistent. NHL skating, NHL shot, can stick handle super well, and plays the boards like a pro.

He'll easily be a third line winger.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Absolutely criminal that you don't have Leivo in your top 20, or even as an honorable mention. He had a bit of an off year but everything about his game translates very well to the NHL...just needs to be more consistent. NHL skating, NHL shot, can stick handle super well, and plays the boards like a pro.

He'll easily be a third line winger.

You are right ... I think he'll make a very effective 3rd line guy who can fill in on the 2nd line when needed - my bad.

What I'm so hyped about is that the improvement to our pool has been sooo dramatic, that I could even forget a guy who would have been top 10 last year.

I'd probably squeeze him around the 17/18 position.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

To me, I'd see it as:

Where is Harrington? He is as skilled or more than Percy. His AHL stats are quality, he's been to (and was a leader at) the WJC, something many of our prospects cannot boast.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Went with Percy. He may not have the highest ceiling, but he has been a solid player in the AHL and had a a good start to his season in the NHL.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Went with Stu

He looked like a monster on the Leafs last year. I was happy to take him away from the calamity

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Percy is our 5th best prospect - we are in a deep s---

Before this last draft Dave Morrison Leafs director of amateur scouting listed Percy are our Percy as our #2 overall prospect behind only Nylander in his May 2015 organization depth chart of the Leafs prospect pool.

Bibeau #3, Leipsic #4, Brown #5 as per Leaf prospect pool rankings.

PS. So this was prior to the Kessel trade and 2015 draft.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Before this last draft Dave Morrison Leafs director of amateur scouting listed Percy are our Percy as our #2 overall prospect behind only Nylander in his May 2015 organization depth chart of the Leafs prospect pool.

Bibeau #3, Leipsic #4, Brown #5 as per Leaf prospect pool rankings.

PS. So this was prior to the Kessel trade and 2015 draft.

Ya it's definitely improving, still way far from a strong pool

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

To me, I'd see it as:

Harrington?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ya it's definitely improving, still way far from a strong pool

Well the Hockey News polling 10 NHL amateur scouts/execs ranked the Leafs #27 overall and 4th weakest prospect pool back in May.

Kanenen, Marner, Dermott and Harrington going to move the Leafs up the rankings and the prospect pool has seem significant improvement this last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany