Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
I hope this is sarcastic, and you realize this is entirely subjective and there is no such thing.

There is such thing as a #5 prospect of the Leafs depth chart but we're all not qualified to make that judgment 100%. This vote is based purely off of everyone's knowledge here about the prospects which is no where near the scouts.

Although I did vote Johnson here. He's got a lot of potential.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
There is such thing as a #5 prospect of the Leafs depth chart but we're all not qualified to make that judgment 100%.

There is a #5 prospect in the sense that this poll will have a result, but I don't think there is an objective "correct" answer, regardless of qualification. The pros are wrong all the time too.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I look at it as a mix of both. Who has the biggest upside along with is most ready to be an NHL player now.

Upside comes first, then it comes down to who is closer when players start to have similar upside. If a guy is 4 years away but the 5th most skilled guy he drops a little bit for me.

I disagree. I think it's a combination of upside and likelihood to reach their potential. For example, the Goat has a lower upside than Timashyov (valuable, but 3rd line checking forward is lower than a top 6 forward). but is much higher in the ranking because he's a highly likely to reach that potential.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Percy #5? His AHL stats look awful. For me #5 belongs to either Dermott or Bracco. Or maybe Johnson

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
What I'm most surprised at is the amount of votes Bracco is getting over Johnson, who just finished 5th in the entire SHL in goalscoring.

onlygotmygrade10

Mar 1, 2014
Toronto
Took Gauthier here, would like to wait a little longer on Bracco. Next year he could be right up there.

While Percy is going to be in the nhl, I find it difficult to rate a defensive d, just don't know if the impact he will have would be the same as Gauthier or Bracco.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Funny how one media article on Johnson and a Dubas interview about Gauthier can completely swing a poll. Yesterday Bracco, Dermott, and Percy were the only three getting any significant amount of votes.

Voting against high-risk high-reward prospects like Bracco and Dermott (my pick) is understandable. But choosing Gauthier over Percy makes no sense to me. Percy has a better ceiling, a better floor, and a better expected projection. He's just better in every regard.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
What I'm most surprised at is the amount of votes Bracco is getting over Johnson, who just finished 5th in the entire SHL in goalscoring.

I feel like Johnson hasn't gotten enough attention and most don't know about him. Bracco and Dermotte on the other hand have just been discussed for pages and people are high on them right now.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Funny how one media article on Johnson and a Dubas interview about Gauthier can completely swing a poll. Yesterday Bracco, Dermott, and Percy were the only three getting any significant amount of votes.

Voting against high-risk high-reward prospects like Bracco and Dermott (my pick) is understandable. But choosing Gauthier over Percy makes no sense to me. Percy has a better ceiling, a better floor, and a better expected projection. He's just better in every regard.

Any players who haven't been with the Marlies yet will probably have far less exposure to most here. Being that i watch every Marlies game, i can say i have seen Percy or Brown play dozens of times. (i am very high on Percy and Brown both)

I've only seen Johnson play maybe a half dozen?
I've seen Gauthier play a couple dozen times because i've made special exception with my time to follow him more closely.
But i've never seen Bracco play even once.

The article has nothing to do with my voting Gauthier. I vote him here because i have seen him play and truly believe his impact on the team winning games for many years will be very high, and i do believe he will show up on the scoresheet.

Still, no doubt that what professionals in the organization have to say will influence the votes. Even having seen him play i am influenced by them.

I'm high on Loov because i have seen him play so much, but really have not enough knowledge about Dermott.

I always look forward to these polls though. It's a lot of fun to look back on what people felt about players before we found out what they actually were.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Is that how we determine who's better by looking at points; especially for a defenceman ?

yes, thats what hockey is about - putting up points. even as a defensemen, he should be doing better than putting up 11 pts in 43 games in his 2nd AHL season. if he was that impressive with the leafs, he'd be staying with them longer than 9 games in which he was a negative +/- more often than a positive +/-. as of right now, guys like dermott bracco and johnson look more impressive to me

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
yes, thats what hockey is about - putting up points. even as a defensemen, he should be doing better than putting up 11 pts in 43 games in his 2nd AHL season. if he was that impressive with the leafs, he'd be staying with them longer than 9 games in which he was a negative +/- more often than a positive +/-. as of right now, guys like dermott bracco and johnson look more impressive to me

Well people like me that watched a lot of Percy last year disagree; don't use +/- as an indicator for how good a player is, especially a rookie; Percy won this poll, so it's not just me who thinks he's pretty much a safe bet to be a middle pairing defenceman if he can still healthy. He also got hurt a few times last year, which effected his point totals, but he's not going to put up major points anyhow, his job is to shut down opposing forwards which he does a terrific job at, also has really high IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00