2015 IIHF World Championship: May 1-17 in Czech Republic (Eichel, Ennis)

Bps21*

I don't know but if we win a cup soon Tyler Ennis gets to join his triple gold club. But not the Grand slam. Stupid olympics hatin on a midget.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Idk why it's now weird to be patriotic. It's pretty cool that he's American. Especially when he has the potential to be the best American player ever.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Idk why it's now weird to be patriotic. It's pretty cool that he's American. Especially when he has the potential to be the best American player ever.

It's not weird at all! I'm very patriotic. Nationality is not what I personally care about when desiring a prospect. I also don't find it any more "cool" if he's from Medicine Hat, Boston, Moscow, or Helsinki :dunno:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I wouldn't care if he's Japanese.

That said, it IS cool that he's American, IMO.

Yeah, that's what i was saying. It's fun to get to root for him on team USA for one thing. It's not like it's something you base picking one prospect over another on, obviously. It's just a cool bonus.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

I don't get the connection. Not all sabres fans are American. I hate players because what team they play for such as the leafs not because of their origin.
I am Canadian I hate Crosby, does that make me not patriotic.

Karate Johnson*

Don't really give a crap where he's from,could be from Mars for all I care.

Same here. I care about the talent, not where his mom decided which side of the border she birthed him. :loony:

Neat that you guys are citizens of earth.

But since they play hockey tournaments with teams drawn based on the country you are from, and the potential superstar that the Buffalo Sabres are set to draft (where I was born, funny how that works) him I find it cool that he will be a big part of the local and national teams I support.

How did you guys become Sabres fans since it has nothing to do with an archaic principle like where your Mom "birthed" you. ??

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Neat that you guys are citizens of earth.

But since they play hockey tournaments with teams drawn based on the country you are from, and the potential superstar that the Buffalo Sabres are set to draft (where I was born, funny how that works) him I find it cool that he will be a big part of the local and national teams I support.

How did you guys become Sabres fans since it has nothing to do with an archaic principle like where your Mom "birthed" you. ??

I live in Niagara. That means I have to be a leaf fan? I don't get how if you live in Buffalo you have to be a Buffalo fan, if you live in Toronto you have to be leaf fan ect...

That aside, I was a Dale Hawerchuk fan so liking a player can make you a fan of a team. In fact I don't get your whole comment. We are talking about NHL. not international tournaments.

I hope Crosby can go **** but come Olympics please win.

Karate Johnson*

I don't get the connection. Not all sabres fans are American. I hate players because what team they play for such as the leafs not because of their origin.

If, when Crosby is playing for Canada, you root against Canada because you hate Crosby it makes you the definition of unpatriotic. That's just semantics.

Karate Johnson*

I live in Niagara. That means I have to be a leaf fan? I don't get how if you live in Buffalo you have to be a Buffalo fan, if you live in Toronto you have to be leaf fan ect...

That aside, I was a Dale Hawerchuk fan so liking a player can make you a fan of a team. In fact I don't get your whole comment. We are talking about NHL. not international tournaments.

I hope Crosby can go **** but come Olympics please win.

I am from Buffalo and America. I hate the leafs. But when Olympic time comes around
I have zero problem rooting for Phil Kessel.

It's no different than if a guy you hated came to your team.

But team allegiance is supposed to be based on geography, and 90% of the time it is. I can't relate to the "I'm a fan of team because my favorite player plays for him"

Eichel being an American is awesome. Having the potential face of American hockey on your hometown team adds an extra element of excitement. If American Sabres fans don't want to enjoy that because they are too cool that's their loss

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago

Where in Canada are you from? If you were from Nova Scotia I'm sure you'd feel some sense of pride.

They JUST talked about this the other day on MvsW. Wysh asked Marek if Canadiens were upset that there were no Canadien teams left in the playoffs etc, and that evolved into this exact topic of nationalism, regionalism, and fan "ownership" of local players.

I think most Buffalonians feel a certain sense of pride that Pat a Kane, one of the premier stars in the NHL, is from Buffalo. Partly because he's from the city and also because some probably have some kind of personal connection, ie: playing against him or relatives in squirt, etc, etc.

IMO, if Eichel wasn't going to be drafted by the Sabres, I wouldn't give a damn that he's from America.

That being said, because he WILL be a Sabre, for some reason, it does seem kind of cool. Nothing really to do with nationalism or patriotism for me.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I think it's pretty cool we're going to draft the next American superstar. I guess I'm crazy as well.

Me too and I don't understand the notion that it's anything but normal.

People cheer for their country at international tournaments like the World Championships and the Olympics, right? And everything is fine with that.

So here we are as fans that live in America, cheering for an American team. An American team that is about to draft an American-born super-star. So why does it matter?

Because this superstar has already played for USA internationally multiple times and will play for USA internationally again. And we, as Americans, will get to not only cheer for our country on an international stage, but we get to watch an American superstar, our American superstar, lead that team. Not just maybe be on the team, but lead it in one way or another.

It adds some extra special to watching these tournaments.

If you have a problem with that, sucks for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad