2015 IIHF World Championship: May 1-17 in Czech Republic (Eichel, Ennis)

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think it's pretty cool we're going to draft the next American superstar. I guess I'm crazy as well.

Yup. There was a certain pride when Miller was leading the USA in Vancouver. Where I live, hockey goes mostly unnoticed, but during the Olympics, even the southern NASCAR fans were loving the hockey, and it was kind of fun knowing it was "my guy" that everyone was so impressed with. I'd take that experience again.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It will be cool in Olympic years, for sure. Overall, though, I wouldn't be less satisfied as a sabres fan of he was Czech.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Eichel being American is the cherry on top for me. I've had a rivalry with our neighbors up north since I was a kid playing pee-wees so I will always be biased towards American players/teams.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Eichel being American is the cherry on top for me. I've had a rivalry with our neighbors up north since I was a kid playing pee-wees so I will always be biased towards American players/teams.

One of the reasons i'de like an American head coach.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Eichel's performance was solid for an 18-year-old. I'm a Torontonian but long-time Sabres fan. I don't care if he's an American. I do wonder whether he's better than people think because Toronto-centric media hype will go for the local boy. I'm not saying Eichel is as good as McDavid but maybe he's better than people think. As good as he gets rated, he's barely generated much media in Toronto.

Another case in point. Tyler Ennis seems to be some great revelation to people covering the championships. The kid has back to back 20 goal years with a bloody horrible team. We know how horrible. How many more assists does he have if people bury the puck? How many more points with a better PP and a better defense?

The Toronto hype machine is a dangerous thing. You shine in it, you're a G-d. Bad moments you're a bum. Don't play in it, who notices you?

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
While were at I guess we should get rid of Reinhart, Ennis, Kane etc and replace them with Americans too

I don't think it's like that, man. Personally, I appreciate our Northern Sabre fan brothers. But, while watching international play, naturally, we all root for our teams. It's convenient to not have to prioritize loyalties at different times.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I really don't care what nationality he is. I mean, it will definitely cool to cheer for him during the Olympics and other international tournaments, so I get that angle. But when it comes to deciding who to draft, nationality has absolutely nothing to do with it for me.

I do agree that the hype machine is very biased towards Canadians, however, so it makes it a little harder to have a completely objective opinion about different prospects in any given year unless you watch them all extensively.

Karate Johnson*

While were at I guess we should get rid of Reinhart, Ennis, Kane etc and replace them with Americans too

Not at all.

I don't think anyone is saying they only like American players. It's just that an extra added bonus to having to "settle" for Eichel is that he could very well be the face of Team USA for a decade. It was fun when Miller was in that role, and it will be fun when Eichel is.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I don't think it's like that, man. Personally, I appreciate our Northern Sabre fan brothers. But, while watching international play, naturally, we all root for our teams. It's convenient to not have to prioritize loyalties at different times.

I guess its just different for me, personally. I don't care if a player/coach is Canadian, American or Saudi Arabian. Give me the best guy for the job. The only international hockey that anyone really cares about only comes once every 4 years, and even that looks to be in jeopardy.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I guess its just different for me, personally. I don't care if a player/coach is Canadian, American or Saudi Arabian. Give me the best guy for the job. The only international hockey that anyone really cares about only comes once every 4 years, and even that looks to be in jeopardy.

I don't think anyone is saying they wouldn't take the best guy for the job. That's completely missing the point.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I don't think we're different at all, bud.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Eichel is drafted by the Sabres then I will embrace the fact that he is American. If we were lucky and won the lottery then I would have embraced the fact that McDavid would have been thrilled to play here (unlike his "willingness" to play for Edmonton).

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I don't even think about nationality when i comes to the sabres.

I do think its cool when they are from the area like Kaleta. I would say that influences me more then their nationality.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I blame Putin ;)
It was actually their head coach (Znaroks), who asked them to leave the ice. He's probably one of the most uncultured and uneducated coaches that I've ever seen, which shouldn't really be a surprise, as he was essentially taken off the streets in Russia by a Latvian coach at the age of 19 or so.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - 2015 IIHF World Championships - Semifinals - United States Falls To Russia 4-0 - USAHockey.com - Saturday, May 16.

Prague, Czech Republic - Connor Hellebuyck (Commerce, Michigan/St. John’s-AHL) made 26 saves, but the United States Men’s National Team fell to Russia 4-0 tonight in semifinal action at the 2015 IIHF Men’s World Championships.

The United States controlled play for the last seven minutes of the period beginning with a chance from Jack Eichel (North Chelmsford, Massachusetts/Boston University). Eichel entered the zone on the right side and fired a shot on net that forced Bobrovski to give up a rebound to Anders Lee (Edina, Massachusetts/Boston University) whose chance hit a skate and went wide. With less than two minutes remaining, Eichel created two more chances that were turned aside by Bobrovski. After his first attempt from the right side hit Bobrovski high in the chest, Eichel skated around the net and found the puck near the left circle for another chance that the Russian netminder was able to hold.

Rest of The Recap - http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/515581?referrer_id=1093254

Boxscore - Russia 4 United States 0 - http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/515581?referrer_id=1093254

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - 2015 IIHF World Championships - Bronze Medal Game - United States Claims Bronze Medal -
3-0 Win Over Czech Republic - USAHockey.com - Sunday, May 17.

Prague, Czech Republic - Nick Bonino (Hartford, Connecticut/Vancouver Canucks) and Charlie Coyle (East Weymouth, Massachusetts/Minnesota Wild) both tallied a goal and an assist and Connor Hellebuyck (Commerce, Michigan/St. Johns-AHL) made 39 saves to help the United States Men’s National Team to a 3-0 victory over the Czech Republic in the Bronze Medal Game here tonight at the 2015 IIH F Men’s World Championships.

The win gives the United States its second medal in the last three World Championships, a feat the country has not accomplished since 1952. United States earned Bronze at the 2013 IIHF Men’s World Championship in Helsinki, Finland and Stockholm, Sweden.

United States Goal #2 - Trevor Lewis (Salt Lake City, Utah/Los Angeles Kings) made it 2-0 for the United States with 1:47 remaining in the period when he re-directed a centering feed from Jack Eichel (North Chelmsford, Massachusetts/Boston University). Eichel won the puck in the corner, skated up the right wall, and circled back to shake off the defender and found Lewis alone in front for his third goal of the tournament.

Rest Of The Recap - http://mensworlds.usahockey.com/news_article/show/515772?referrer_id=780184

Boxscore - United States 3 Czech Republic 0 -http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0076/0176/Boxscore_Bronze.pdf

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2