2015 Draft - 1st pick: Connor McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Ok, let's just drop the whole Hall's immaturity will effect McDavid and hockey crap and let them play hockey. If they play excellent and they boost their stats together, then who cares if they party? Keep the off-ice stuff off-ice and the on-ice on the ice. Let's see how the play in the pre-season and hopefully we can see some glimpses of the past in these two.

Back on topic to McDavid please and thank you.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Wouldn't have this Problem if we drafted Sequin, the kid would know how to be a top player in the league, over a point per game player, and party hard till 6am in the morning.

:sarcasm:

Seriously, Hall is a pro. they are also young adults. If they feel like a beer and pizza now and then, and bring a couple girls home from a club, none of you are going to be able to stop them...ever!!

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I don't see how anyone cares about who he's living with. Who cares? It won't do anything to his hockey game, or his personality. He could live with a drug addict at a halfway house and he's still going to be generational through and through.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Holy crap. this thread really went into the toilet quickly.

Can the season just start already? We're getting into the loopy part of the offseason where we hockey junkies start acting nuts.

Also, please read this before you post. Some folks here are flirting with infractions. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_forum_rules

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
I've never heard much bad about Hall besides that he likes to go out and may have seemed like a jerk every now and then.

Has he ever been in trouble with the law? Has he made some controversial social media sensation?

I think that he should have had more guidance while maturing as a person, but that doesn't mean that he didn't did it on his own. People do it all the time.

oilz89*

Hall is still my favorite Oiler. I love his passion. He certainly says the right stuff and seems mature...

But.

Is he married? Is he in a relationship even? How much does he value family? How serious is his off ice eating and gym habits?

I think he will be an ok room mate but I can't help but think there might be too much drinking, video gaming, and pizza scarfing.

Clubbing is normal and it sounds like hall has a handle on that but again might be bit much for a rookie roomie.

I agree with those saying I hope McDavid rubs off on hall. For me McDavids demeanor reminds me of Toews aka captain serious.

All you can do is hope that the people involved in this decision know and approve of Halls lifestyle.

To me this sounds like a massive endorsement that this really is Halls team. I wanted Hall as captain to begin with but liked the Ferrence move as well. I now hope he gets the captaincy asap. Doesn't make sense to keep Ference as captain unless they still consider this a development year or already have plans for McDAvid to take the captaincy.

LOL too much video gaming??? :laugh: OH NOOOSSSS stop him from getting McD to play video games!!!! :help:

oilz89*

With how buddy-buddy Hall has gotten with McDavid before even knowing him, it makes me wonder if he's imagining a day where they negotiate extensions together, like what Kane and Toews did. I do worry about that since it is a recipe for over payment because they hold a lot more power that way.

That's a long ways off though. We don't even know if they will have all that much on-ice chemistry yet.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Is Hall a Diabolical enemy who only became friends with McDavid to make more money? :help::help::help::help:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Wow this thread is a write off.

I think Hall and Mc living together is just fine. Hall showed great leadership qualities last season and has been acting like a leader and captain all off season. I don't begrudge him for allegedly getting annoyed at drunk idiots at the bar a few times in the last 4 years.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Some people are really overthinking this lol. Hall isn't 18 anymore and has grown up a lot. I think its a perfect situation, to have Connor be this comfortable with him already. They spent a lot of time together in August, so it's not a shock that this happened.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Man I'm a supreme pessimist and I could give a damn that he's staying with Hall. Good for him, enjoy! I think it's great personally. Oh can the season start yet?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
You honestly believe Hall was such a perfect character individual in his first few seasons, especially given the reputation he had in Windsor, that any suggestion saying otherwise deserves a condescending response?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...r-taylor-hall-will-be-in-play-in-trade-talks/

Why is so hard to accept that not all players are drafted with McDavid levels of maturity, and develop their maturity over time?

Dreger's full of BS. Why the hell would you believe in him? The guy even said the leafs wouldn't trade Reimer straightup for Yakupov. If Hall's the so called issue, then why was he the only one advocating for Eakins? There's absolutely no problem with McDavid living with Hall. They've been playing hockey together and been at the Gary Roberts facility together. Its not an issue whatsoever.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
I remember talking to my buddy a few months ago and he was saying McDavid and Hall wouldn't get along and that Hall wouldn't be able to stand being the #2 guy on the team.

He's a huge Hall hater.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Everybody matures eventually, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Hall is ready to take on more responsibility and is starting to grow up. McDavid doesn't seem to be a guy that would be lead astray anyway.

If only that were the case! ;) That said I agree that Hall COULD be maturing as a person on and off the ice and hopefully he is. I do agree that McDavid seems the type that is mature and smart enough to overcome just about everything though.

"Hey, how was your day?"
"Good, you?"
"Good."
"Alright, going to bed. You?"
"Yep."

*is 6:30pm*

And they'd be training and likely living a pretty healthy life so that'd hardly be a bad thing IMO.

Count me in on the side with BBO and others... not a big fan of this. Hopefully, McDavid's razor focus on winning and hockey will win over other distractions. Honestly, I really dislike the idea on the whole but we will see if Hall has matured, or not.

Pretty much. Hopefully McDavid pushes Hall to get his act together a bit. Hopefully for that matter McDavid pushes all of our players.

Wow this thread is a write off.

I think Hall and Mc living together is just fine. Hall showed great leadership qualities last season and has been acting like a leader and captain all off season. I don't begrudge him for allegedly getting annoyed at drunk idiots at the bar a few times in the last 4 years.

Last season seems like an eternity ago, can you fill me in on what he did last season to show great leadership qualities? It's not his run ins with fans that has me questioning this move it's his maturity in general.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
If only that were the case! ;) That said I agree that Hall COULD be maturing as a person on and off the ice and hopefully he is. I do agree that McDavid seems the type that is mature and smart enough to overcome just about everything though.

And they'd be training and likely living a pretty healthy life so that'd hardly be a bad thing IMO.

Pretty much. Hopefully McDavid pushes Hall to get his act together a bit. Hopefully for that matter McDavid pushes all of our players.

Last season seems like an eternity ago, can you fill me in on what he did last season to show great leadership qualities? It's not his run ins with fans that has me questioning this move it's his maturity in general.

I have to ask, what makes you think Hall doesn't have his act together?
He was a 2 time Mem cup MVP, a first overall pick, his NHL teams best player, ..so it looks as though he's always had his act together. What more is expected from him?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'll add...when playing for Canada, he's named to the Media All-Star Team, one of Canada's leading scorers, and gets promoted, along with his other vilified team mate, to play alongside the greatest player in the world...and win gold.
The only thing that shows that his is NOT mature, is internet message board gossip.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have to ask, what makes you think Hall doesn't have his act together?
He was a 2 time Mem cup MVP, a first overall pick, his NHL teams best player, ..so it looks as though he's always had his act together. What more is expected from him?

Since we're trying not to go into off ice stuff I'll keep it to on ice stuff. Defense, physical play and sticking up for his teammates are all things that IMO he needs to get a lot better at. Also chewing Yak out that one time on the ice when Yak has been struggling certainly wasn't a sign of a good teammate IMO.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I remember talking to my buddy a few months ago and he was saying McDavid and Hall wouldn't get along and that Hall wouldn't be able to stand being the #2 guy on the team.

He's a huge Hall hater.

I just don't get why Hall is always such a target of completely unfounded speculation about his character, habits, leadership, etc by some "fans" in this city. All he's ever done here is play very well, but he's the guy that gets picked on. You never hear this regarding Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Schultz, etc. Those guys get their play on the ice criticized, but their personal lives and speculation about their character is always rightfully left out.

We have guys on this team like Yakupov who have been very inconsistent in their play, but he gets the benefit of excuses like the coach ruined him. Hall has one crappy, injury riddled season on a dumpster fire of a team and he becomes the victim of baseles character assassinations.

I like Yakupov for the record and I believe that the coach giving him a hard time is founded, but if it was Hall faced with the same problem I don't think he would get the benefit of the doubt.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Since we're trying not to go into off ice stuff I'll keep it to on ice stuff. Defense, physical play and sticking up for his teammates are all things that IMO he needs to get a lot better at. Also chewing Yak out that one time on the ice when Yak has been struggling certainly wasn't a sign of a good teammate IMO.

He wasn't the only one that chewed him out, Yak was playing like garbage. Says nothing about his ability as a teammate, at some point NHL players like Yak have to play like they're in the NHL, and he wasn't at the time. I don't know why he was expected to have his hand held.

If Messier jumped in a time machine and was the Oilers Captain last year, do you think he would have done much different?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Halls interviews are getting better and better IMO and he does seem to be getting more mature. Fewer tantrums on the ice as well.

But one comment he had, while I thought funny, still shows a bit of immaturity. His tweet to McDavid about not coming in and wrecking all that they had built in Edmonton over the last few years was a bit immature.

Also, I think some people on here just have no idea what it takes to be a professional athlete. Most can't get away with the typical Phil Kessel/Byfuglien training program.

I am still a beer drinking, video gamer, and pizza scarfer when I can find the time. When I was 23 I worked out hard and was very athletic and typically hit the gym 6 times a week... but I ate like crap, drank too much, and spent too much time gaming in my spare time. I remember cutting those things out for a month while maintaining my heavy gym routine and I lost 15 lbs. 15 lbs when I thought I was already in damn good shape.

Diet and lifestyle make a huge difference. I will again say I doubt that these things are a main concern for Hall/McDavid but I would actually be very surprised if they were not a bit of a concern. These young men are human after all. I've heard many reports of them playing COD and NHL games... Pizza and beer just go extremely well while trying to hit your next prestige.

An Olympic athlete can lose by 0.001 of a second. I think a late night of partying, gaming, and pizza could knock off a full second if done too often or too close to their competition.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I just don't get why Hall is always such a target of completely unfounded speculation about his character, habits, leadership, etc by some "fans" in this city. All he's ever done here is play very well, but he's the guy that gets picked on. You never hear this regarding Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Schultz, etc. Those guys get their play on the ice criticized, but their personal lives and speculation about their character is always rightfully left out.

We have guys on this team like Yakupov who have been very inconsistent in their play, but he gets the benefit of excuses like the coach ruined him. Hall has one crappy, injury riddled season on a dumpster fire of a team and he becomes the victim of baseles character assassinations.

I like Yakupov for the record and I believe that the coach giving him a hard time is founded, but if it was Hall faced with the same problem I don't think he would get the benefit of the doubt.

Its because of what they hear about Hall at clubs. Hall's just a reserved person. I'm the same way in public as well. I've met Hall a couple of times, and he was genuinely polite and friendly. Besides, I wouldn't appreciate having random drunks walking up and invading my personal space at clubs either. McDavid's living with Hall. Simple. Move on from this crapping on Hall's character :facepalm:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Well people do slag Eberle as well for clubbing. That said it's not a coincidence IMO, I have heard more Hall stories than stories about all of the rest of our players combined. You can try and chalk ALL of them up to BS/haters/etc. or in my case having heard some of them from people that I personally respect who have seen it first hand you believe that he does have some growing up to do. I hope that he does just that as he is a damn good hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00