2015 Draft - 1st pick: Connor McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I've heard a few stories about running into Hall at the bar, so I'd like to share one of my own.

I ran into Horcoff, Hall, and Whitney a couple years ago at Hudsons on whyte. It was on st Patrick's day and I'd had my fair share of leprechauns gold. I walked by them on my way from the bathroom and barged in to chat with them. I could only utter admirations in my condition, and tell them of my beer league victories. Whitney was like a big brother that laughed at you when you flinched because he pretended to punch you. A nice guy, but took pleasure in asserting his dominence. Horcoff was an absolute pro. Very respectful and interested in my beer league tales. Hall was wearing a sweater vest. He was very quiet and honestly a very polite guy.

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
I met Hallsy(and Ebs/Nuge) before a promotional event where I was working. We had a chance to hang out and just kind of casually chat before the event, and I was paired with him for the event.

Although it was a public event and he had to be on his best behavior, I can only tell you how impressed I was with him. He's so much more introverted than you expect, but he's polite and very genuine.

I don't doubt that he's had the odd moment out at the bar where he has had people questions him. But being someone who is good at reading people, I can tell you that he's a really quiet, down to earth guy who just loves the game.

McDavid is lucky to be living with Hall.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Darren Dreger's speculation is your "credible reports"? Really?

That almost laughable.

Charging a star player with character issues is a hefty accusation for a top known reporter to exclaim. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Anyways this thread's about McDavid, not Hall, so this will be my last contribution on that subject.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Charging a star player with character issues is a hefty accusation for a top known reporter to exclaim. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Anyways this thread's about McDavid, not Hall, so this will be my last contribution on that subject.
Dreger is a hack now. I wouldn't take anything he says as truth.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Dreger is a hack now. I wouldn't take anything he says as truth.

And even Dreger's (paraphrased) quote was, 'he's great on the ice, not what they hoped for in the dressing room'.

That was a dressing room presided over by the Worst head coach in at least the last decade and a bumbling GM who continually voices his support.

I don't blame Hall or anyone else for getting frustrated or even quitting after five years of futility and then having play last year for the Eakins trainwreck with no end in sight.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He wasn't completely healthy for much of the season that's for sure. That said even when he was healthy it was a tough year for him.

Bottom line is that he is not the hardest working player on the team.

I don't think he was really healthy at any point after his first injury. He was very good to start the year, then wasn't after the knee injury.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Why is this coming from Simmons?

And what does this mean for Ference?

Wonder if they just hit it off so well at Biosteel they decided to room together.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Bottom line is that he is not the hardest working player on the team.

It probably is Hendricks but I don't agree with your thesis in general. I'd go so far as to say that you probably have to go back to Ryan Smyth circa 2007 to find an offensive player on the Oilers who is as consistant with his drive as Hall has been in his first five seasons in the NHL.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I can see Hall getting frustrated in the locker room after all of those years of losing but I think you need some players like that who really want to win and aren't content with anything else. To me, it shows that he still cares and hasn't given up. I think he's a good character guy and has gone through a bit of what McDavid is going through right now (1st overall, high expectations). I think he will be a good mentor for McDavid and I'm excited to see how they mesh come regular season!

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I want people who are saying this is a horrible living arrangement to actually prove it.

I can understand forming an opinion, but have something to back it up.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hall is still my favorite Oiler. I love his passion. He certainly says the right stuff and seems mature...

But.

Is he married? Is he in a relationship even? How much does he value family? How serious is his off ice eating and gym habits?

I think he will be an ok room mate but I can't help but think there might be too much drinking, video gaming, and pizza scarfing.

Clubbing is normal and it sounds like hall has a handle on that but again might be bit much for a rookie roomie.

I agree with those saying I hope McDavid rubs off on hall. For me McDavids demeanor reminds me of Toews aka captain serious.

All you can do is hope that the people involved in this decision know and approve of Halls lifestyle.

To me this sounds like a massive endorsement that this really is Halls team. I wanted Hall as captain to begin with but liked the Ferrence move as well. I now hope he gets the captaincy asap. Doesn't make sense to keep Ference as captain unless they still consider this a development year or already have plans for McDAvid to take the captaincy.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Jeeze, I don't know. It astounds me to think that people that don't know Hall at all have an opinion on his personality.

I know if I was 18, I would much prefer living with someone my own age than a family with children. This will make him feel part of the team more than anything.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Hall is still my favorite Oiler. I love his passion. He certainly says the right stuff and seems mature...

But.

Is he married? Is he in a relationship even? How much does he value family?

who-cares-lady-.gif

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

But.

Is he married? Is he in a relationship even? How much does he value family? How serious is his off ice eating and gym habits?

I think he will be an ok room mate but I can't help but think there might be too much drinking, video gaming, and pizza scarfing

Clubbing is normal and it sounds like hall has a handle on that but again might be bit much for a rookie roomie.

I agree with those saying I hope McDavid rubs off on hall. For me McDavids demeanor reminds me of Toews aka captain serious.

All you can do is hope that the people involved in this decision know and approve of Halls lifestyle.

To me this sounds like a massive endorsement that this really is Halls team. I wanted Hall as captain to begin with but liked the Ferrence move as well. I now hope he gets the captaincy asap. Doesn't make sense to keep Ference as captain unless they still consider this a development year or already have plans for McDAvid to take the captaincy.

The bolded is especially what I'm talking about.

How does this factor in with McDavid as a hockey player? You spew this as a fact.

You care way too much about something so small. Ridiculous.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

But.

I think he will be an ok room mate but I can't help but think there might be too much drinking, video gaming, and pizza scarfing.

These guys were at Gary Roberts' camp so I wouldn't be too worried about this.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

But.

Hall off ice gym and eating habits are not a question of concern at this point. Mcdavid and Hall are both pros on training. Hall spent all summer with Gary Roberts, you think hes just going to eat pizza? Never! It shouldnt even be a question.

Hall and McDavid are both represented by Orr. That should tell you all you need to know about Hall's personality right there. The young man has been brought up by a great level headed family and agent since he was a young age.

This partying is way out of control. Hall is determined to win more than anything. its not his fault management and Eakins happened.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The bolded is especially what I'm talking about.

How does this factor in with McDavid as a hockey player? You spew this as a fact.

You care way too much about something so small. Ridiculous.

Notice the question marks and general unsure way I wrote that post. Combined with all my Hall props it's like you only read what you wanted too and ignored the message.

We just have to trust that these issues are not a big factor.

For those who don't understand the importance of family values, eating habits, and exercise to a professionals lifestyle... Well I don't know how to explain that. It's just something you learn with experience I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Notice the question marks and general unsure way I wrote that post. Combined with all my Hall props it's like you only read what you wanted too and ignored the message.

For those who don't understand the importance of family values, eating habits, and exercise to a professionals lifestyle... Well I don't know how to explain that. It's just something you learn with experience I guess.

Well, guy was at Gary Roberts camp. It's a stupid assumption to say that "pizza eating and video games" will be all they do at home or get out of control! OH THE HUMANITY!

The bold: there's absolutely should be no concern. I trust Hall knows what he's doing here.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

lol

"Family values" have nothing to do with hockey or even being a professional in general. Take a look at the rosters of 5/6 of the past cup winners (Kings/Blackhawks).

Connor Mcdavey*

Well Bobby Orr thinks way differently than you do, and I will take his opinion on the matter 1000x over yours.

Thanks!

ps, you are so far off on this matter you probably shouldnt even voice a opinion.

If you have to convince yourself that Hall is a good role model, have at it. There's a reason bad things are being said about him specifically, and it's not because we are bored in the middle of summer waiting for hockey. If enough people say it, and have personal experience with it, doesn't that kind of alarm you?

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Count me in on the side with BBO and others... not a big fan of this. Hopefully, McDavid's razor focus on winning and hockey will win over other distractions. Honestly, I really dislike the idea on the whole but we will see if Hall has matured, or not.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Hall needs to get a fire under his ass from McDavid? Really?

Im sorry but Hall plays with 100% heart and determination every shift. He flies out there, tries the hardest on the team. He loves to win more than you can even imagine.

What I mean is, boost his points total from 80 to 90-100 points to make him stand out as the best LW in the NHL. I'm not saying he isn't playing hard enough, but give him a different insight and view the game a bit differently and hopefully both McDavid and Hall will be our old Gretzky and Kurri.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
With how buddy-buddy Hall has gotten with McDavid before even knowing him, it makes me wonder if he's imagining a day where they negotiate extensions together, like what Kane and Toews did. I do worry about that since it is a recipe for over payment because they hold a lot more power that way.

That's a long ways off though. We don't even know if they will have all that much on-ice chemistry yet.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Connor and Hall with each other all off season, developing a friend ship and chemistry on, and off the ice, and continuing through the season..
Is only a good thing IMO.
McDavid is Obviously comfortable with Hall, and that's what supposed to matter, so, what's the problem?
And any one who honestly believes Hall is going to "ruin" McDavid in any way is a moron.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Everybody matures eventually, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Hall is ready to take on more responsibility and is starting to grow up. McDavid doesn't seem to be a guy that would be lead astray anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad