2015 Draft - 1st pick: Connor McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He wasn't the only one that chewed him out, Yak was playing like garbage. Says nothing about his ability as a teammate, at some point NHL players like Yak have to play like they're in the NHL, and he wasn't at the time. I don't know why he was expected to have his hand held.

If Messier jumped in a time machine and was the Oilers Captain last year, do you think he would have done much different?

Hall isn't our captain, he doesn't stand up for his teammates, he plays hard but he is far from captain material right now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Its because of what they hear about Hall at clubs. Hall's just a reserved person. I'm the same way in public as well. I've met Hall a couple of times, and he was genuinely polite and friendly. Besides, I wouldn't appreciate having random drunks walking up and invading my personal space at clubs either. McDavid's living with Hall. Simple. Move on from this crapping on Hall's character :facepalm:

RNH and McDavid are what I'd call reserved people, so simply passing it off as Hall comes across as rude because he's quiet is far from what I've heard. If that were the case then it wouldn't be a big deal at all. That said even if he is an ass off the ice and McDavid takes to him but doesn't compromise what he does then it really is a non issue.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hall isn't our captain, he doesn't stand up for his teammates, he plays hard but he is far from captain material right now.

Doesn't "stand up for his teammates" (whatever that means) any more or less than Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Schultz, etc, etc, etc. Why is he the one that gets called on it?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Doesn't "stand up for his teammates" (whatever that means) any more or less than Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Schultz, etc, etc, etc. Why is he the one that gets called on it?

Actually Nuge has been noticeably better in this regard.

Yak has improved a bit as well in this area.

Schultz, Eberle, and Hall this is an area that they most certainly need to improve on.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
RNH and McDavid are what I'd call reserved people, so simply passing it off as Hall comes across as rude because he's quiet is far from what I've heard. If that were the case then it wouldn't be a big deal at all. That said even if he is an ass off the ice and McDavid takes to him but doesn't compromise what he does then it really is a non issue.

http://oilersnation.com/2015/5/29/part-two-if-you-will-with-taylor-hall I'll read that.

“I’ve heard people say they think I’m arrogant or a snob and that used to bother me, because I’m not that person. I’m reserved around people I don’t know; even when I went to the Worlds the first time I was shy.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

I don't disagree with you often, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this.

IMO I think Hall should be captain, and I already think he is, regardless of having that letter on his jersey.
I think his voice carries more weight than Ference...and if push came to shove, ..the locker room would go to war with Hall than anyone else.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
McDavid is a great hockey player. I can't wait to watch him play hockey. Hockey is coming . . .

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
He wasn't completely healthy for much of the season that's for sure. That said even when he was healthy it was a tough year for him.

Bottom line is that he is not the hardest working player on the team.

I respect you as poster on this board but I would be lying if I didn't say that your bias against Hall is so over the top that its become a joke. You're always the first to take a shot against him and point out any of his faults but seem to disappear when he does all the right things and when he picks up a broken bottom team on to his back and tries to carry them when no other player on this team is even close to Halls level of compete and heart

I honestly think you need to take a step back and ask yourself why you hate Hall

Im not calling you out , just something I noticed and frankly enough is enough

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Actually Nuge has been noticeably better in this regard.

Yak has improved a bit as well in this area.

Schultz, Eberle, and Hall this is an area that they most certainly need to improve on.

How is this measured? Fighting after a whistle? I just don't get this. Again, I can't really begin to guess what Nuge and Eberle have done that Hall hasn't to be considered "improved."

Fact is nobody here knows how Hall is as a teammate.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I was just watching some Youtube McDavid clips, wow this guy is crazy good.

I said 85 points next year, but dam he might even go above!

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I was just watching some Youtube McDavid clips, wow this guy is crazy good.

I said 85 points next year, but dam he might even go above!

I'm looking forward to seeing how well McDavid gets along with Calgary's young "stars" in BC; and subsequently how he gets along with their main roster ;)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I'm looking forward to seeing how well McDavid gets along with Calgary's young "stars" in BC; and subsequently how he gets along with their main roster ;)

Hes going to tear it up, no doubt about it. I wouldnt be surprised if he only plays one game cause he gets at least 5 points in it. Just my honest opinion.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
How is this measured? Fighting after a whistle? I just don't get this. Again, I can't really begin to guess what Nuge and Eberle have done that Hall hasn't to be considered "improved."

Fact is nobody here knows how Hall is as a teammate.

Sorry I should have explained that a bit as well I guess.

It is primarily gauged by fighting after the whistle. While the game could certainly do without that aspect of the game it is certainly here and it certainly has a philological effect on the team and the individuals.

For a team to be a real team. EVERYONE, no matter how small needs to skate towards scrums and at least grab a guy until the refs calm things down. Guys like Hall, Ebs, and Schultz will be on the bench while the rest are getting double face washed by their opponents.

Those scrums are important to the game as it is and I can guarantee you the poor guy getting double or triple teamed will be pissed his teammates just skated off.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've heard a few stories about running into Hall at the bar, so I'd like to share one of my own.

I ran into Horcoff, Hall, and Whitney a couple years ago at Hudsons on whyte. It was on st Patrick's day and I'd had my fair share of leprechauns gold. I walked by them on my way from the bathroom and barged in to chat with them. I could only utter admirations in my condition, and tell them of my beer league victories. Whitney was like a big brother that laughed at you when you flinched because he pretended to punch you. A nice guy, but took pleasure in asserting his dominence. Horcoff was an absolute pro. Very respectful and interested in my beer league tales. Hall was wearing a sweater vest. He was very quiet and honestly a very polite guy.

yeah, for as many "he's a jerk" statements i've heard, i've actually heard more people (especially those who actually know him), state that he's fairly quiet and almost shy lots of the time

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

It is primarily gauged by fighting after the whistle. While the game could certainly do without that aspect of the game it is certainly here and it certainly has a philological effect on the team and the individuals.

For a team to be a real team. EVERYONE, no matter how small needs to skate towards scrums and at least grab a guy until the refs calm things down. Guys like Hall, Ebs, and Schultz will be on the bench while the rest are getting double face washed by their opponents.

Those scrums are important to the game as it is and I can guarantee you the poor guy getting double or triple teamed will be pissed his teammates just skated off.

I think this is a team problem, not an individual problem. When Eakins was coach nobody was playing for each other, and not standing up for one another is a natural result.

This aspect improved team wide after Nelson came in, which is also a time in which Hall was mostly out injured. IMO that is why Nuge and Eberle may be perceived as improved in this respect while Hall doesn't get the same credit.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

nothing against hall at all, he just wouldn't have the same, mature and well-earned, outlook on life and pro-sports that a guy around 30 would have.... people mature and generally become more wise with age, not a big revelation here... pro-athletes would be no different, outside of having to grow up a LOT faster than the average person

i have nothing against hall at all, and have nothing against him going out and blowing off steam once and a while (if those rumors are even true, and i have no idea if they are, and frankly don't care either).... i would just rather mcdavid learn what it is to be an adult from, well, an adult.... sorry anybody 23 (hall's age right now) or younger, but you're not really adults yet, not by a long shot in most cases

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Hall staying here during the tough times should say more about the personality of Hall then anyone that doesnt know him. We are all lucky he didnt ask to get traded out of this place. If he is as arrogant or immature as many are suggesting he would of been traded by now.

Im amazed about the slack Hall receives on this board.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

There was a game against the blues if I can recall. During the end of a whistle, 3 blue players were all facewashing Hall and pushing him around. Schultz and Petry just stood there watching that happen.

I'll like to see the team stick up for each other like they did in this one. Mind the comment of him giving Yak crap, he also knew Yak was struggling that year, and fed him the puck to score in this game.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
When is he coming to town? I'm dying of anticipation for this journey to start

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Hes going to tear it up, no doubt about it. I wouldnt be surprised if he only plays one game cause he gets at least 5 points in it. Just my honest opinion.

I think so too. He was taking it easy at the inter-squad game when he scored 5. He's probably itching to let loose in a game that's at least somewhat competitive, and it wouldn't surprise me if he scores 5 points in any one of the games.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I think so too. He was taking it easy at the inter-squad game when he scored 5. He's probably itching to let loose in a game that's at least somewhat competitive, and it wouldn't surprise me if he scores 5 points in any one of the games.

Well we only have to wait a few more days!!!! Cant wait!

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Hall had a great interview on the radio with Gregor. He was talking about how he is actually nothing like he is on the ice compared to off of the ice.

He said he is a very reserved and kind of shy guy and it's not easy for him to talk to random strangers. When random people come up to him he said he can kind of seem off putting. Once he gets to know somebody he is a lot more open.

It was a really good interview. back in June I think.

EDIT - I believe somebody above linked it.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

Kids highlights are insane, literally the total package. Fun times ahead. Really wish we could hit fast forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad