2015 Draft - 1st pick: Connor McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Some of y'all are reading waaaayy too much into living arrangements.

IMO it's part of players' personal lives. Not our concern unless we know it's affecting their performance.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Saying it's bad to live with Hall is basically saying McDavid has no character and can't think for his own (If you think Hall is "bad" in the first place)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
But guys, I heard from my cousins nephew's friends dad's sister's niece that Hall was a jerk to some other girl at a bar one time. CHARACTER ISSUES you guys!!!!!

Not enough eye-rolls in the world for that stupidity.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
McDavid doesn't need to be mentored or tutored. He doesn't need for his hand to be held or shown the ropes. He's had this all figured out since he was 12. McDavid as an 11 year old was ticked off at his teammates for talking x-box during a game. When it comes to the game, game prep and commitment, it's McDavid that will influence the rest of the young Oiler vets. If anything, this will be more beneficial for Hall. smart move by McDavid and Oiler management.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
At first I wasn't too excited about the prospects of McDavid staying with a guy like Hall, but the more I thought about, the more I realized how good of a idea it is.

Considering McDavid's value to this team, it's extremely unlikely that the OEG is going to let him live on his accord with Hallsy. Chances are there's going to be an extensive amount of baby sitting and watchful eyes around McDavid and indirectly Hall. McDavid's constant monitoring can be a great opportunity for Hall to maintain his focus from the last half of the 14-15 season, and prevent him from going astray. Not to mention the pressure Hall would be under to make sure McDavid isn't screwing around under his influence.

This also allows McDavid and Hall to gain a fair amount of chemistry off-ice, which helps chemistry on-ice no doubt.

Ference or Smyth would've been great billet's but McDavid is already such a mature and focused young player, he deserves to be with players closer to his own age. I believe Hall has matured a fair amount since even a year ago, and I think Connor and Taylor will be productive roommates.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Some of y'all are reading waaaayy too much into living arrangements.

IMO it's part of players' personal lives. Not our concern unless we know it's affecting their performance.

It can matter to extent. Hall and Eberle rooming together early in their careers was probably not the best idea at the time. Lord knows how many points were sacrificed due to their regular kraft dinner suppers. :sarcasm:

That said Hall has changed from what we know from insiders and interviews ( Gregor interview, OTR interview etc.)

I guess because Hall is known to go out like any person his age and have fun. What a rebel. :help:

Too be fair, there were credible reports that Hall had issues off-ice. But I don't think we need to worry too much about that anymore.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I think it's fine. He'll learn a lot about being a professional on and off the ice. How to be a leader. How to deal with the media. Taylor Hall could do worse for a roommate :p

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Little help with finding these credible reports? :popcorn:

You honestly believe Hall was such a perfect character individual in his first few seasons, especially given the reputation he had in Windsor, that any suggestion saying otherwise deserves a condescending response?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...r-taylor-hall-will-be-in-play-in-trade-talks/

Why is so hard to accept that not all players are drafted with McDavid levels of maturity, and develop their maturity over time?

Last edited:

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Did you forget the ":sarcasm:"?
No I did not.

I guess because Hall is known to go out like any person his age and have fun. What a rebel. :help:
It's normal to party once in a while...excessive partying amongst other things is where most people have an issue. I'm not going to get to into it, I've seen the proof. I've talked to BBO about this in the past as well. I'm just not a fan of Mcdavid living with Hall.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this... i love hall, 2nd favorite player on the team, but he IS NOT who mcdavid should be staying with

Agreed. Love Hall as a player on the ice.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Dallas Eakins and the terrible season last year made lots of fans turn on Hall lmao.

He's the best player on the team. Plays with the most heart. Puts in his best effort.

You know being in the basement of the league for 5 straight years can probably lead to frustration and stuff. But for people to say hes going to be a bad influence on Connor. Complete joke

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well I guess you can look at it this way ... hopefully they all become such close friends that they'll be willing to take less money in the future to stay together.

Also Hall is old enough now that he should be able to guide McDavid through a lot of things, and really I expect Connor to have his own place by next season, so it'll just be for the rookie campaign.

You can overthink this stuff too, Gretzky roomed with Kevin Lowe and they were both teenagers when they first came to Edmonton. That seemed to work out alright.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Well I guess you can look at it this way ... hopefully they all become such close friends that they'll be willing to take less money in the future to stay together.

Also Hall is old enough now that he should be able to guide McDavid through a lot of things, and really I expect Connor to have his own place by next season, so it'll just be for the rookie campaign.

You can overthink this stuff too, Gretzky roomed with Kevin Lowe and they were both teenagers when they first came to Edmonton. That seemed to work out alright.

Fully agree with this.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hall needs to get a fire under his ass from McDavid? Really?

Im sorry but Hall plays with 100% heart and determination every shift. He flies out there, tries the hardest on the team. He loves to win more than you can even imagine.

How can anyone say that with a straight face when we had guys like Hendricks and Gordon on the team? I can't be the only that felt that Hall dogged it a bit last season (not that he was the only one by any means).

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
How can anyone say that with a straight face when we had guys like Hendricks and Gordon on the team? I can't be the only that felt that Hall dogged it a bit last season (not that he was the only one by any means).

His health didn't help, it feels like he barely played last year

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014

Halls been playing meaningless games for 5 straight years. The one lockout year they actually made a run he was putting the team on his back.

If Hendricks doesn't play well he'll be out of the league and he understands that.

Oct 15, 2008
You honestly believe Hall was such a perfect character individual in his first few seasons, especially given the reputation he had in Windsor, that any suggestion saying otherwise deserves a condescending response?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...r-taylor-hall-will-be-in-play-in-trade-talks/

Why is so hard to accept that not all players are drafted with McDavid levels of maturity, and develop their maturity over time?

Darren Dreger's speculation is your "credible reports"? Really?

That almost laughable.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His health didn't help, it feels like he barely played last year

He wasn't completely healthy for much of the season that's for sure. That said even when he was healthy it was a tough year for him.

Halls been playing meaningless games for 5 straight years. The one lockout year they actually made a run he was putting the team on his back.

If Hendricks doesn't play well he'll be out of the league and he understands that.

Bottom line is that he is not the hardest working player on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad