2015 Draft - 1st pick: Connor McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
There was a game against the blues if I can recall. During the end of a whistle, 3 blue players were all facewashing Hall and pushing him around. Schultz and Petry just stood there watching that happen.

I'll like to see the team stick up for each other like they did in this one. Mind the comment of him giving Yak crap, he also knew Yak was struggling that year, and fed him the puck to score in this game.

I've seen that clip many times before, but I just realized that Justin Schultz is the first to jump in and defend Yak after that little scuffle with Andrew Ladd. That's very surprising and great to see.

I mean, it was a little of a slow reaction, but he was still there.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Am I a bit of an oddball in that I prefer to actually meet a person and get to know them before making any character assumptions?

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
You honestly believe Hall was such a perfect character individual in his first few seasons, especially given the reputation he had in Windsor, that any suggestion saying otherwise deserves a condescending response?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...r-taylor-hall-will-be-in-play-in-trade-talks/

Why is so hard to accept that not all players are drafted with McDavid levels of maturity, and develop their maturity over time?
Dreger isn't a reputable source. He's made rumours about Edmonton before and none were true.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Sorry I should have explained that a bit as well I guess.

It is primarily gauged by fighting after the whistle. While the game could certainly do without that aspect of the game it is certainly here and it certainly has a philological effect on the team and the individuals.

For a team to be a real team. EVERYONE, no matter how small needs to skate towards scrums and at least grab a guy until the refs calm things down. Guys like Hall, Ebs, and Schultz will be on the bench while the rest are getting double face washed by their opponents.

Those scrums are important to the game as it is and I can guarantee you the poor guy getting double or triple teamed will be pissed his teammates just skated off.

Souls they jump off the bench to fight someone because someone is getting face washed??

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Souls they jump off the bench to fight someone because someone is getting face washed??

I think he's saying they'd leave the ice, not that they'd be on the bench to start with.

Gazdic should if it's mcdavid

He'd get suspended but it'd be worth it

It's a pretty big suspension, but it would sure send a message. Having Gryba should be a big help in that regard. If you're worried McDavid will get run, just send Gryba out with say Sekera whenever McDavid is out at the start of that game.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I think he's saying they'd leave the ice, not that they'd be on the bench to start with.

It's a pretty big suspension, but it would sure send a message. Having Gryba should be a big help in that regard. If you're worried McDavid will get run, just send Gryba out with say Sekera whenever McDavid is out at the start of that game.

I guess Carter Ashton got 20 games when he left the bench the other year, more than I thought it was.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Doesn't "stand up for his teammates" (whatever that means) any more or less than Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Schultz, etc, etc, etc. Why is he the one that gets called on it?

I've seen RNH and Eberle stand up for Hall. I've seen RNH take numbers of guys that hit Hall/Ebs in OKC, Hall seems to only look after himself. Schultz just flat out does not like physicality of any kind.

Actually Nuge has been noticeably better in this regard.

Yak has improved a bit as well in this area.

Schultz, Eberle, and Hall this is an area that they most certainly need to improve on.

Agreed.

I don't disagree with you often, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this.

IMO I think Hall should be captain, and I already think he is, regardless of having that letter on his jersey.
I think his voice carries more weight than Ference...and if push came to shove, ..the locker room would go to war with Hall than anyone else.

If Hall stood up for his teammates I would agree. Hall can carry the team on his shoulders he can be that damn good. The problem is that he sure seems like he is more me oriented than team oriented.

I respect you as poster on this board but I would be lying if I didn't say that your bias against Hall is so over the top that its become a joke. You're always the first to take a shot against him and point out any of his faults but seem to disappear when he does all the right things and when he picks up a broken bottom team on to his back and tries to carry them when no other player on this team is even close to Halls level of compete and heart

I honestly think you need to take a step back and ask yourself why you hate Hall

Im not calling you out , just something I noticed and frankly enough is enough

I don't hate Hall but I have probably heard a lot of credible stuff that most aren't privy to and that along with his play last season has soured my opinion of him. I haven't seen the Hall that you speak of in at least a year. I also think that when he's supposed to be a leader here that he should stand up for his teammates instead of himself only. That drives me crazy about him.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I've seen RNH and Eberle stand up for Hall. I've seen RNH take numbers of guys that hit Hall/Ebs in OKC, Hall seems to only look after himself. Schultz just flat out does not like physicality of any kind.

Agreed.

If Hall stood up for his teammates I would agree. Hall can carry the team on his shoulders he can be that damn good. The problem is that he sure seems like he is more me oriented than team oriented.

I don't hate Hall but I have probably heard a lot of credible stuff that most aren't privy to and that along with his play last season has soured my opinion of him. I haven't seen the Hall that you speak of in at least a year. I also think that when he's supposed to be a leader here that he should stand up for his teammates instead of himself only. That drives me crazy about him.

I remember Rozsival hit Draisaitl into the boards, and Hall ended up being the only one to stick up for him after the whistle. How exactly is what you hear considered credible? I could hear something from some random person who saw any oiler player in public and then proceed to say crap. Weird how Seguin is getting a lot of crapping, because of his recent party issues and immaturity. I'm sure I'm more than happy to know McDavid will be living with Hall. Hall's the last oiler to even be considered crapping on.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Ashton's 20 game suspension was for a failed drug test.

You are totally right. I jumped the gun without reading the article

xL4BLb3.png

But I hope you can see how I thought that was right

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

All of that "credible" crap you've heard is slander and not even allowed on this forum.

Some dude in Hawaii with connections to anonymous internet posters that are apparently "credible" :laugh: laughable.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I remember Rozsival hit Draisaitl into the boards, and Hall ended up being the only one to stick up for him after the whistle. How exactly is what you hear considered credible? I could hear something from some random person who saw any oiler player in public and then proceed to say crap. Weird how Seguin is getting a lot of crapping, because of his recent party issues and immaturity. I'm sure I'm more than happy to know McDavid will be living with Hall. Hall's the last oiler to even be considered crapping on.

IIRC Hall did nothing.

All of that "credible" crap you've heard is slander and not even allowed on this forum.

Some dude in Hawaii with connections to anonymous internet posters that are apparently "credible" :laugh: laughable.

Since you don't know what I've heard how do you know that it's slander? What I have been told was told in confidence so I cannot repeat it.

Sure thing, imagine if there was this way that people around the world could interact within seconds and people care more about your character than where you live. Just because the same posters didn't feel comfortable enough with you to share information shouldn't mean that you should get your knickers in a twist.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Since you don't know what I've heard how do you know that it's slander? What I have been told was told in confidence so I cannot repeat it.

Sure thing, imagine if there was this way that people around the world could interact within seconds and people care more about your character than where you live. Just because the same posters didn't feel comfortable enough with you to share information shouldn't mean that you should get your knickers in a twist.

Just curious...what is the mechanism for determining the credibility of a source?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The moderators here have "vetted" a number of insiders with who the hell knows what kind of shaky evidence, only for that so-called insider to reveal himself to be an obvious fake.

I trust BBO believes it, but I don't trust that process. I more or less think this board should heavily crack down on the concept of "insider knowledge".

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
In the event this hasn't been posted yet....

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/09/06/report-mcdavid-to-live-with-hall-this-season/

Not so sure this is a good solution for Conner.

Are you one of those people who think Hall is an immature punk or something and that all his million bad habits will rub off on him? :laugh: It'll be fine. Hall has def matured alot. They clearly get along really well. If it doesn't work, he'll find somewhere else to crash. Believe you me, The Oilers brass will be keeping a close eye on this. Also, I did read this, but I don't know how official it is yet. I'm just assuming it'll be fine if it is indeed true. Mr. Positive, that's me. :D

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
IIRC Hall did nothing.

Having second (or third or fourth...) hand knowledge about a person's character is not really anything that should be relayed on a public board, just sayin. These guys are hardly model citizens and I'm sure being young, rich and popular doesn't help to ground these guys much either. I'm sure as the life experiences pile on they will begin to mature, girlfriends and wives tend to expedite this process. I'm sure Hall has acted like a jerk in public and in the dressing room, I'm sure Ference referenced this last year. But these instances are hardly unforgivable and I believe that Hall's mentoring/friendship with McDavid will benefit both players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just curious...what is the mechanism for determining the credibility of a source?

Knowing who a person is, what their connect to the situation is and whether or not they prove to be right or wrong more often than not among other things.

The moderators here have "vetted" a number of insiders with who the hell knows what kind of shaky evidence, only for that so-called insider to reveal himself to be an obvious fake.

I trust BBO believes it, but I don't trust that process. I more or less think this board should heavily crack down on the concept of "insider knowledge".

I have let a lot of things stand to basically let people prove or disprove their legitimacy, this has afforded me some solid relationships with people that most wouldn't get the chance to. This maybe hard to believe for some but prior to me becoming a mod I got to know a best friend of a player and a relative of another. However you will not see me completely vet for someone unless they are 100% legit or at the very least have known ties to legitimate sources.

Having second (or third or fourth...) hand knowledge about a person's character is not really anything that should be relayed on a public board, just sayin. These guys are hardly model citizens and I'm sure being young, rich and popular doesn't help to ground these guys much either. I'm sure as the life experiences pile on they will begin to mature, girlfriends and wives tend to expedite this process. I'm sure Hall has acted like a jerk in public and in the dressing room, I'm sure Ference referenced this last year. But these instances are hardly unforgivable and I believe that Hall's mentoring/friendship with McDavid will benefit both players.

Fair points all the way across. I have never met the man and I am only going off of 2nd and 3rd hand reports. I do believe that people can change (to a degree) and I hope for his and our sake that he does. FWIW I would take him on my team over Seguin all day based on off ice stuff alone.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I have it on good authority that this thread has gotten pretty silly. PM me if you want my source Bry. ;):sarcasm:

Everything will be fine. :nod:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Canadian hockey fans have a nasty habit of ganging up on star players. They love them, but the only thing they love as much is to hate them. If you believe everything you hear ...

In Vancouver, Luongo supposedly had attitude issues, his wife wanted out from Vancouver for years.

In Calgary, Dion Phaneuf apparently was the devil, got into a fist fight with Iginla, slept with the half team's wives, and then after that Iginla himself was a bad locker room influence, wouldn't back check, sabotaged Brent Sutter. Oh and Kiprusoff is apparently a raging coke fiend.

In Winnipeg ... Evander Kane, Dustin Byfuglien are the worst people ever born. In Montreal ... well it gets reeeeeal ugly when they turn on players (see Carey Price raising his arms at fans during a game), Roy-gate, etc. Toronto ... Nuff said.

I hate to say it but a lot of hockey fans in Canada also have that fish bowl/small town mentality. Too many think they could've been in the NHL too with a break here or there and are deep down a little bitter that they're making $11/hour instead of millions.

So it becomes that thing of "look at Taylor Hall over there enjoying his beer, smug ******* with his fancy imported beer, having a drink when he should be resting. Now he's talking to that cute girl and her friends are coming over too! The nerve of this guy, just because you're rich doesn't mean you should throw it my face! I wanted to talk to that girl! Shouldn't you be winning some hockey games?!".

NHL players have thousands upon thousands of interactions with fans in person, it's impossible that all those interactions are going to be positive, but fans think they should be because "if I made $6 million I'd be the perfect angel". No you wouldn't. Everyone has their weird run-ins with people that for whatever reason go awkwardly or badly even, it's just that if you're an NHL player, get ready for that "fan" to go running to the internet and make up a larger than life story about how you have an attitude problem.

Isn't it convenient too that none of these "outrageous" stories are ever about 4th line boring players. Weird coincidence that it's always about the team's 1/2/3 best players. It's never "Zack Stortini has an attitude problem".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest