Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who will be the next head coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I like him too, but playing devils advocate.. Are we sure of his ability to get the most out of our youth and aid them in their development? To me he seems a bit more like the kinda guy we'd hire in 2-3 years

I'm not worried about that aspect. The Sharks have had plenty of young guys come in and develop well during Todd's tenure. Developing young talent is always going to be in a head coach's list of duties, so if he's a guy you want in 2-3 years, he's a guy you want now as well.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I like him too, but playing devils advocate.. Are we sure of his ability to get the most out of our youth and aid them in their development? To me he seems a bit more like the kinda guy we'd hire in 2-3 years

I think he has done really good job on that department. He brought Couture in the right way, Vlasic also. Hertl being another example. He also haven't overburdened Müller when his playing dropped.

McLellan is maybe my number one candidate - even maybe over Babcock. But that has more to do with the fact that I don't like the way that Babcock doesn't want players to step up for their teammates (taking "unnecessary penalties) because he likes his lines not being messed.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010

Well, relative to whom? I don't see many coaches with exp that are branding themselves as development coaches.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What the hell is this bull ****?

There has been confusion in NHL circles about where exactly fired coaches/executives fit into all this if they remain under contract.

The initial explanation on this I got from someone in the know was that he thought if you were fired, even if still under contract, that the team in question did not qualify for draft pick compensation from the team hiring the fired person. It is also what most team executives I had spoken with thought.

However, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who authored the memo on this, told ESPN.com Monday that for coaches, general managers or presidents of hockey operations who are fired but remain under contract, their teams are privy to draft pick compensation if they choose to pursue it.

But the team can also waive the draft pick compensation if they want, Daly said.

The reason many teams would waive in most cases is that they’re more interested in getting the person who is under contract but no longer working for the team off the books. So why discourage a hire elsewhere.

Still, it certainly adds a new wrinkle to it all.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
However, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who authored the memo on this, told ESPN.com Monday that for coaches, general managers or presidents of hockey operations who are fired but remain under contract, their teams are privy to draft pick compensation if they choose to pursue it.

But the team can also waive the draft pick compensation if they want, Daly said.

What I think it comes to is if a team doesn't want an ex-coach to land a job with a division rival, they use the trump card of demanding a draft pick. If the ex-coach ends up being hired in the other conference, where he won't be coaching against them, then they probably waive it.

That would mean the Sabres could hire McLellan without a penalty but if the Oilers try him, I bet San Jose asks for the pick. The flip side would be if Toronto or Buffalo went after Babcock or Julien, I doubt they'd get off without giving up a pick.

Another theory is that the team losing the coach only asks for the pick if they think the team hiring the coach is going to be a cellar-dweller and the pick will have value.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
That would mean the Sabres could hire McLellan without a penalty but if the Oilers try him, I bet San Jose asks for the pick. The flip side would be if Toronto or Buffalo went after Babcock or Julien, I doubt they'd get off without giving up a pick .

Babcock will be like a free agent, though. He doesn't have a contract after this.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Out of the established guys, he might be a better fit than Babcock. Interesting that he says that of the possible openings there are rebuilding teams, teams looking to become playoff teams, and teams going all in -- he's open to all of those situations. Hopefully he at least interviews here.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If I were Murray, I'd almost be inclined to just go right after McClellan and not wait to figure out what Babcock is going to do.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If I were Murray, I'd almost be inclined to just go right after McClellan and not wait to figure out what Babcock is going to do.

He might not look for a job in earnest for a while yet as he'll be coaching Canada at the WJC. Hopefully Eichel stomps them really good, leaving a big impression. Unfortunately USA's forward group looks pretty terrible.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
With the coaching search I feel most coaches will run to Edmonton seeing as how they have McDavid with many other 1st round picks which will leave us probably 2nd most enticing team. With that said I think I would prefer McLellan over Babcock and so I hop Katz offers Babcock 5 or 6 mil a year.

Actually San Jose is pretty enticing too, they have established players and a lot of young talent just waiting in the depths.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Out of the established guys, he might be a better fit than Babcock. Interesting that he says that of the possible openings there are rebuilding teams, teams looking to become playoff teams, and teams going all in -- he's open to all of those situations. Hopefully he at least interviews here.

I read earlier today that SJS will want compensation from any team that hires him. Anyone know the parameters of what that will be? Draft Picks?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
He might not look for a job in earnest for a while yet as he'll be coaching Canada at the WJC. Hopefully Eichel stomps them really good, leaving a big impression. Unfortunately USA's forward group looks pretty terrible.

True. One would think Murray could start putting the feelers out now, though. Who knows, if he makes a strong enough argument and Pegula opens up his bank account, maybe Todd just goes for it.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Will be interesting to see what happens with both McLellan and SJS.

Wonder if he / his family want him to take some time off (WJCs, etc.) and ride out the final year of his contract paid to be idle, or, if they just want out of the ****-storm struggle/conflict with the NTC/NMC Jumbo Joe / Marleau headaches there.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I read earlier today that SJS will want compensation from any team that hires him. Anyone know the parameters of what that will be? Draft Picks?
I think that would be pretty shady of them to do. To me that's like another team offer sheeting a player your negotiating with.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Does that pick come from the club hiring him? Kind of sucks if it does.
Yes.

I think that would be pretty shady of them to do. To me that's like another team offer sheeting a player your negotiating with.

No, it's not, because, although he is available to negotiate with other clubs, he's still under contract, and still being paid by the old club, just like Nolan is.

Compensation helps prevent double-dipping (cost control for old club).

Again, old team could waive draft pick compensation for the new team, and would include as part of that a release from the contract (payment) by the old team.

Makes perfect sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad