Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who will be the next head coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Randy Carlyle is the obvious choice.

Det Nalon is a possibility.

Claude Julien will soon be available.

Tortorella would guarantee a few more years of high draft picks to help the “rebuildâ€. And he could turn CoHo into a better shot blocker than Gorgeous Gorges. :sarcasm:

I literally hate all those options.

Karate Johnson*

Put me down as not really gonna worry about it.

Hockey coaches seem to be a lot like goalies. They burn really hot for a while, then fizzle out quickly.

Not the case for everyone, but almost every guy behind the bEnoch has a contingent of fans that want them gone, or a bad relationship with players after a while.

Grown men are only receptive to another grown mans message for so long before you get sick of hearing it, and most of these guys are one trick ponies. Especially if they've had success doing it "thier way"

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=734378

Talks about the Mike Babcock coaching tree. One interesting note there is Ron Rolston joined Detroit's staff after being fired last year.

It also looks like McLellan is done in San Jose (no year ending press conferences yet, looks like they are waiting to see the fallout).

Say what you will about this years Sharks, McLellan has a damn good record. Two straight conference final appearances with the Sharks, 3 division titles. He would be a MASSIVE improvement over what we had last year. If they were both available, I'd obviously prefer babcock. But, given that there are no guarantee's he hits the market, and if he does, he's going to have plenty of choice in where he goes....I may push early to lock up McLellan given that some of the big jobs (Toronto with no GM, Boston is limbo with Julian) aren't there are the moment. McLellan reminds me of Quenville when he was with St Louis. Lots of regular season success, always short in playoff success, alot due to Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas being around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_McLellan

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Other names I've thought of that worked with Murray:

Terry Murray
Cory clouston
Paul Maclean

Assistant options:

Davis Payne
Mike kitchen

One would think that Bryan consulted Tim before deciding to fire Clouston and MacLean - so I don't know why Tim would hire a coach he previously worked with and had input in letting them go.

What? TM was involved as GM of Buffalo? :laugh:

See above ^

I almost want Torts just so he'd routinely rip apart the TBN and WGR guys at interviews. :laugh:

True, that would be high-entertainment value to see Tortorella turn Harrington, Sullivan or Gleason into another Larry Brooks - but that would be the only redeeming value/benefit of hiring him IMO.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I am not big on the idea of hiring Richardson for no other reason that he has no NHL coaching experience. Also, the immediate promotion of Rolston has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding AHL coaches jumping to NHL. So, justified? Dunno.

I have said before that I want babcock and if he is not available then i want McLellan. I think it'll be a long wait for the position to be filled though.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
True, that would be high-entertainment value to see Tortorella turn Harrington, Sullivan or Gleason into another Larry Brooks - but that would be the only redeeming value/benefit of hiring him IMO.

Could we hire him just to do that? Like we hire a coach, but torts gives does the interviews?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
One would think that Bryan consulted Tim before deciding to fire Clouston and MacLean - so I don't know why Tim would hire a coach he previously worked with and had input in letting them go.

See above ^

I think you're missing his point. MacLean was fired well after Tim became GM of Buffalo. I guarantee you that a rival GM--even one who is a nephew--was not consulted about MacLean's job status.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Phil Housley anyone? Young up-and-coming coach who has experience working with young players.

Ralph Krueger would make the main board fun.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Phil Housley anyone? Young up-and-coming coach who has experience working with young players.

I wouldn't mind, if we can't get Babcock.

My first choice for years has been Mike Johnston, but Pittsburgh snapped him up last year. Great with young players, really turned things around in Portland. If Pittsburgh gets bounced in the first round and they let him go, he'd go right back to the top of my list for Buffalo.

Bps21*

Rob Ray has a quote running on WGR about talking to Babcock this year and Babcock asking what buffalo was doing...when Ray asked what he meant he replied they were playing to well and winning too much.

Babcock was in on the tank from the start lol.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Baker just retweeted a guy that said Tim Murray will interview his uncle Terry Murray coach of AHL Phantoms.

Hipcheck13

Jul 26, 2014
NY
Baker just retweeted a guy that said Tim Murray will interview his uncle Terry Murray coach of AHL Phantoms.

I would be fine with him as a backup plan if they don't get Babcock, I like him Murray more than Richardson.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I don't really care.

Just get a coach who will put the best players on the ice. I don't think coaches at the highest level make much difference. Most seem to be the rah rah cliched motivational types, and no matter how strong the message may be, it gets stale after a while.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Honestly, I think our coaching situation depends heavily on saturday night when the lottery is drawn. If the sabres get the first overall pick, I give us a 90% chance of getting Babcock. If we end up with Eichel, he won't likely come to buffalo, probably dropping it down to a 20% chance.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
To hire him or interview him?

To hire him but if you are interviewing him then it is to look at hiring him. There is an advantage to having family come in such as communication but I think it is the wrong direction. I don't want the coach feeling comfortable or getting a free ride...Not saying it is going to happen but you know what they say, never hire friends or family :sarcasm:

Plus the guy is 65, just no please.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If we didn't hire Chadd Cassidy we could have been grooming our next head coach already. We need a system in place similar to what Tampa Bay and Detroit have where the same style is used in the AHL as the NHL. I think a Jon Cooper type makes more sense for this team right now than Babcock does. Babcock is the type of coach we would want in 2-3 years. I'm not sure about right now.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If we didn't hire Chadd Cassidy we could have been grooming our next head coach already. We need a system in place similar to what Tampa Bay and Detroit have where the same style is used in the AHL as the NHL. I think a Jon Cooper type makes more sense for this team right now than Babcock does. Babcock is the type of coach we would want in 2-3 years. I'm not sure about right now.

A few coaches have come from the Amerks over the years. I am not sure the sabres got away from having it that way. Instead hiring guys like Rolston and Cassidy.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Why? What's a Jon Cooper going to do that a Babcock can't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad