Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who will be the next head coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I dont know if Murray will be willing to give up as much power as Babcock might be looking for. Babcock sure isnt about to let his GM decided to keep 1 of his 4 best defenders in the minors.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
we need to figure out how involved in the game to game Murray wants to be.

If he had issues with some roster decisions of Nolan's, does he want A guy like Richardson to come in that he can puppeteer? Because if he wants a vet like Babcock, he can't then complain about gameday roster issues.

I have a feeling he's willing to adapt to whatever needs to happen to get a good guy. If it means backing off for Babcock, sweet, and so be it.

Last edited:

Bps21*

People realize there is a difference between this past season and future seasons right? Like...literally the exact opposite purpose?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Would anybody be interested in Tippet if he's let go by the Coyotes?

Not especially. He is hard to judge because of all the franchise turmoil during his tenure; bankruptcy, no owner, relocation rumors. Yotes board doesn't think highly of him, specifically regarding young players.

The Ugly Truth*

Randy Carlyle is the obvious choice.

Det Nalon is a possibility.

Claude Julien will soon be available.

Tortorella would guarantee a few more years of high draft picks to help the “rebuildâ€. And he could turn CoHo into a better shot blocker than Gorgeous Gorges. :sarcasm:

Karate Johnson*

I dont know if Murray will be willing to give up as much power as Babcock might be looking for. Babcock sure isnt about to let his GM decided to keep 1 of his 4 best defenders in the minors.

They have worked together in the past, and supposedly have a relationship outside of hockey.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
How about Mike Foligno with Larry Robinson coaching the d,keep Irbe and and somebody like Pat Verbeek to help with offense/PP.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
I know Babcock and Murray go back to Anaheim, but do you think there will be a power struggle?

I think that's the more subtle question with Babcock. From his presser, it's pretty clear that Murray didn't consult with Nolan much. One would think he would have more respect for Babcock, and might naturally consult with him more on personnel issues, but Babcock may also want more say than Murray is comfortable yielding.

That's the kind of thing that makes this all so much fun. Most of us think Babcock is the best option on paper, but maybe another coach would end up being a better fit. Who's to say until we reach that point?

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Todd McLellan from San Jose is my pick (if he's fired)

I think Buffalo moves quick once the season is over and brings him in.

They'll want to interview babcock but he'll be in the playoffs still.

I think everyone - including Murray - will wait for Babcock's decision. If he truly wants to coach McDavid as has been rumored and the Sabres get the # 1 Saturday, I could see Murray waiting patiently for Babcock. If Murray misses out on McLellan in the process, so be it - but I think he could live with that a lot easier than if he jumped to hire McLellan only to see Babcock choose to leave Detroit afterwards.

I don't see the Wings getting past Tampa so Babcock should be freed up in 2 weeks or so.

I know Babcock and Murray go back to Anaheim, but do you think there will be a power struggle?

I do - despite their past relationship.

Walrus MacLean??

Doubtful since TM and his uncle were involved in firing MacLean.

Sounds as if the McClellan and the Sharks are parting ways. Any interest?

I thought i heard the same thing about McLellan , i still think that Babcock is Murray's guy.

According to San Jose Mercury News, a mutual parting of ways could be announced tomorrow:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/t...roster-move-of-consequence-is-also-necessary/

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I almost want Torts just so he'd routinely rip apart the TBN and WGR guys at interviews. :laugh:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Names Hoppe speculated on include: Luke Richardson, Mike Babcock, Dan Bylsma, Paul MacLean, and Todd McLellan; while Vogl added: Claude Julien and John Tortorella.

Straight NO to Tortorella and Julien. On a fence for Bylsma, MacLean and Richardson. Absolutely YES for Babcock and McLellan.

I think that McLellan would be the best realistic option. He thinks the game modernly (unlike Julien and Tortorella), has good resume, is demanding and has shown that he can handle and develop young players. And, unlike Babcock, he seems to have at least some emotion in play and he doesn't demand players to restrict all emotions. :)

Doubtful since TM and his uncle were involved in firing MacLean.

What? TM was involved as GM of Buffalo? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad