Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who will be the next head coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I don't really care.

Just get a coach who will put the best players on the ice. I don't think coaches at the highest level make much difference. Most seem to be the rah rah cliched motivational types, and no matter how strong the message may be, it gets stale after a while.

I disagree. I think a lot of Chicago's success can be attributed to quenneville, not just the fact that they have a great roster. A lot of Nashville's success can be attributed to Laviolette. On the same token, I think pittsburgh couldve had a lot more success if they had a different coach other than bylsma (which is why im against him as our coach).

It would suck, but wouldnt be the worst thing in the world if we dont get babcock or a coach of high calibre. But the whole "just throw anyone in there" mentality is the wrong way to look at it imo.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Baker just retweeted a guy that said Tim Murray will interview his uncle Terry Murray coach of AHL Phantoms.

That is a mistake.

A lot of LA's players credited Murray with helping teach them the game and developing them. They needed Sutter to get them over the hump, but I have no problem with bringing in a guy for three years or so who'll help all these young guys with the intricacies of the NHL game.

To hire him but if you are interviewing him then it is to look at hiring him. There is an advantage to having family come in such as communication but I think it is the wrong direction. I don't want the coach feeling comfortable or getting a free ride...Not saying it is going to happen but you know what they say, never hire friends or family :sarcasm:

Plus the guy is 65, just no please.

While I'd be thrilled with Babcock, this team may need a coach to transition them from awful to competent to playoff contender. Murray is at a good age to do that. Like I said, I'd be happy with Babcock, but I wouldn't hate a solid transitional coach like Terry Murray or even Hitch should he get canned by STL after the playoffs.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Then in 3 years GMTM has to fire his uncle? :laugh:

Who says he has to fire him? Terry can take the job with the express purpose of coaching the team for three years and stepping aside after that. He has a built-in out with his age. Meanwhile, they can identify and groom his successor, either in Rochester or beside him on the bench in Buffalo. I have little doubt that many up-and-coming coaches would love a gig in this organization if they knew the payoff was to be the head coach for in-their-prime Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel, as well as the rest of the young core the Sabres have built.

I don't think Tim will hire Terry. I think Tim is cognizant that it would come off as nepotism, and he wouldn't want to deal with the "he's not going to fire his uncle" talk every time the team went through a prolonged losing streak. With that said, Terry would be a good hire for this group as a transition coach.

ZeroPT*

Friedman says DeBoer might be interviewed by us. Not sure about that.

Faschinating

Apr 9, 2015
NC

He was using the rationale that he was interviewed for a coaching job in Ottawa 6 years ago while TM was there.

..doesn't really seem like strong logic or anything relevant to the present.

ZeroPT*

He was using the rationale that he was interviewed for a coaching job in Ottawa 6 years ago while TM was there.

Yeah I used might. He didn't say for sure. I'm not a huge fan of him tbh. He sounds like a bit of a nut job with young players. It's no coincidence that Larsson exploded after Pete was sacked.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Does Babcock got to Edmonton with McDavid? Not likely.

That's what I was thinking.

Rumor has been than Babcock wants to coach McDavid, but I would have to think that he would have severe reservations about joining the dysfunctional mess that is the Oilers organization and management.

If our goal is to get Babcock, I don't think the Oilers winning the lottery hurts those prospects.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
How true are the rumors about Babcock wanting to have more the coach/gm hbyrid role? If that's the situation then I wouldn't even want him.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

..doesn't really seem like strong logic or anything relevant to the present.

Anyone that Murray either worked with, hired or interviewed will be rumored this summer until the actual new coach is introduced.

I'm not a huge fan of him tbh. He sounds like a bit of a nut job with young players. It's no coincidence that Larsson exploded after Pete was sacked.

When Friedman said that, I had the same reaction - and Larsson regressed under DeBoer. I'd hate to envision DeBoer being hired and have similar issues appear with the youth the Sabres are nurturing.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Thread on Playoff forum talking about Boudreau's job security. I'd put him up there in the top rank if available

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
How true are the rumors about Babcock wanting to have more the coach/gm hbyrid role? If that's the situation then I wouldn't even want him.

:dunno:

It seems he has part of that role already in Detroit (i recall at least once he was talking to a UFA before coming in).

Time will tell. I assume he's going to want some input in the makeup and direction of the team.

Take a step back and consider Rex Ryan's setup. He doesn't report to the GM....he reports direct to Terry. It's strange, but I think thats part of the reason he signed up.

Mike Babcock would probably get the same sort of agreement. I think the issue with Lafontaine and some extent Nolan is that Murray had a clear vision of what he needed to do (in Lafontaine's case, trade Miller, in Nolan's case, control callups)...is he willing to change that with Babcock? I don't know what their working relationship was like in Anaheim...but I think that would weigh heavily on if Mike Babcock would even be interested.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'm probably In the minority but GM coach relationship seems more important than actual coaching ability. I've always believed NHL is a GM and players league. I really don't care who Murray hires just as long as they think the same.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Im pretty sure most coaches that are part of an organizations long term plans have at least some say in what players come to the Team. I remember there being signings made by the Sabres in the past that had Lindy Ruff's finger prints all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad