Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who will be the next head coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

so now that Nolan and co are gone, figured we could use a thread to post updates/opinions. The two names we'll probably be hearing a lot are:
Luke Richardson
Mike Babcock

anyone else? Any under the radar options?

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Richardson seems likely, but I'm "meh" about the whole thing. Babcock would be worth jumping up and down over. Despite Bylsma's mishandling of Team USA, I still like him as option, too (which is contrary to current popular thinking, I'm sure).

Karate Johnson*

I want Babcock just for the outrage amount other fans.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Doesn't matter much to me, just hope it's the last coaching change for 3 or more years.

nate8891

Mar 23, 2015
I do not want Bylsma.. I lived near Pittsburgh during his time there, and watched a lot of their games during that time because of that.. the cup he has he was riding the coattails of Therrien and his system. He was outcoached every single playoffs after that season

Girgs x 28

Aug 1, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Babcock would be great, obviously. McLellan would be my 2nd choice. I don't know much about Richardson, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he more of a grind it out, defense first coach?

There's not a whole lot wrong with that, as it seems like that's what the NHL has slowly become. But I'd prefer a more up tempo, push the pace kind of coach. Maybe that's just me.

Whoever we do end up hiring, hopefully he knows how to coach and properly develop whoever we get in the draft, whether it ends up being McDavid or Eichel.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Scotty Bowman said he'd like a second shot as GM and head coach..... :laugh:

Seriously, who ever takes the job is going to be in a difficult situation with a young GM and demanding fan base.... I doubt any great name takes the job but we will see...

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Scotty Bowman said he'd like a second shot as GM and head coach..... :laugh:

Seriously, who ever takes the job is going to be in a difficult situation with a young GM and demanding fan base.... I doubt any great name takes the job but we will see...

You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Why though would Babcock leave a perennial winner like Detroit? People just assume he wants out? Or has he said as much?

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Why though would Babcock leave a perennial winner like Detroit? People just assume he wants out? Or has he said as much?

He might see that we are on the upswing and Detroit is on the downswing (it doesn't seem like it now, but I fully believe Detroit is well on it's way to crashing and burning once their vets retire)

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Last year of his deal. No extension, and people grow stale.

Successful coaches leave their gigs all the time.

Owner has said they have no plans to talk extension? Until there is proof that he wants out/they want him out, it's just wishful thinking.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Owner has said they have no plans to talk extension? Until there is proof that he wants out/they want him out, it's just wishful thinking.

OK, since you have the answers, explain to me why Babcock is in the last year of his deal and hasn't signed an extension?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

They've offered him extensions and he's turned them down so far.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's going to be a pretty fluid list because the available coaches are going to change pretty fast.

Available coaches:

Randy Carlyle
Dan Bylsma

Guess as to some potential available coaches:

Tippett
Hitchock
Babcock
McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events