Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who will be the next head coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
initiated By Babcock? That's interesting.

The Sabres certainly pushed up the price in Detroit. Maybe Babcock wants to push up those Buffalo and Toronto prices, too. Who knows? I wonder if coaching FA's driving this much competition will become the new norm...

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Why don't we like Bylsma again? Doesn't he have the same number of cups as Babcock? Isn't he known for not putting it together in the playoffs?

252 117 32

vs

527 285 19 119

Just to be clear, the last time Mike Babcock won two rounds in the playoffs, Bylsma kicked his ass in the Cup finals.

So again, why is Babcock so good, but Bylsma is chopped liver?

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Why don't we like Bylsma again? Doesn't he have the same number of cups as Babcock? Isn't he known for not putting it together in the playoffs?

252 117 32

vs

527 285 19 119

Just to be clear, the last time Mike Babcock won two rounds in the playoffs, Bylsma kicked his ass in the Cup finals.

I think a lot of hockey fans in general like to hammer Bylsma for his handling of Team USA at the Olympics. There's also some in the community that think anyone could have won a Cup with Crosby. I'm not one of those people, though. I like the way Bylsma thinks through the game, and he's top 3 on my list, for sure.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think a lot of hockey fans in general like to hammer Bylsma for his handling of Team USA at the Olympics. There's also some in the community that think anyone could have won a Cup with Crosby. I'm not one of those people, though. I like the way Bylsma thinks through the game, and he's top 3 on my list, for sure.

Just to follow the logic (Not you, but the 'a lot of hockey fans' you speak of)
Bylsma stinks cuz he blew it on USA against Crosby.
Bylsma doesn't get credit for the cup because of Crosby.
Babcock gets a pass cuz Detroit only has Datsyuk, Zetterberg
Babcock gets credit for winning Gold Medal with Crosby.

Got it.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

252 117 32

vs

527 285 19 119

I raised a similar question a few weeks ago--perhaps with less editorializing, but I digress--especially when one considers how Babcock has won exactly one playoff round in the last four seasons while Bylsma won three rounds in his final two seasons, while enduring some awful goaltending from Fleury in those postseasons.

In any event, I think a lot of the argument that Bylsma had a Cup team and underachieved was debunked this year when they performed even worse under Johnston. That's a flawed roster, which is the product of some awful drafting and managing by Shero--and Rutherford (Despres for Lovejoy???)--over the years.

I'd be fine with Bylsma.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I raised a similar question a few weeks ago--perhaps with less editorializing, but I digress--especially when one considers how Babcock has won exactly one playoff round in the last four seasons while Bylsma won three rounds in his final two seasons, while enduring some awful goaltending from Fleury in those postseasons.

In any event, I think a lot of the argument that Bylsma had a Cup team and underachieved was debunked this year when they performed even worse under Johnston. That's a flawed roster, which is the product of some awful drafting and managing by Shero--and Rutherford (Despres for Lovejoy???)--over the years.

I'd be fine with Bylsma.

I expected to get flamed. I guess there are lots of reasonabalists on these boards.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I really hope this was a drunk dial to San Jose when McClellan and Babcock were out celebrating Canada gold

Todd: "Ok Mike, I got a great idea"
Mike, After pounding his 5th Labatt "Another beer?"
Todd "No, I think we need to make a prank call"
Mike: "Mike Babcock likes prank calls. Who is Mike Babcock calling?"
Todd: "Let's call Doug Wilson from your phone"
Mike: "Why would I do that?"
Todd: "Tell him you want to coach San Jose"
Mike and Todd both erupt in laughter
Mike: "That's almost as mean as when I went to Toronto to talk to Shanny. You know how hard it was NOT to laugh when they showed me their 5 year plan"
Todd hands Mike another beer.
Todd: "You should see Edmonton's. Year 3 and on was 'suck it haters'"
Mike; "Ok, give me Doug's number"

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'd have no issue with Bylsma. He's probably at the top of my list assuming McClellan goes to Edm, Babcock stats in Det/goes elsewhere and Blashill isn't available.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Yeah, I have no faith in Babcock coming here. We were probably used to drive up the price.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Grand Rapids advanced to the conference finals today, eliminating Rockford in five games. I can't imagine Detroit giving teams permission to speak with Blashill during the playoffs if Babcock decides to stay in Detroit. So does Murray wait until GR is done--for a frame of reference, the AHL conference finals ended on June 3, 2014, and the Calder Cup was won on June 17--which might not be until about a week before the draft? Other candidates may get swooped up during that time. Or does he move forward without considering Blashill?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Grand Rapids advanced to the conference finals today, eliminating Rockford in five games. I can't imagine Detroit giving teams permission to speak with Blashill during the playoffs if Babcock decides to stay in Detroit. So does Murray wait until GR is done--for a frame of reference, the AHL conference finals ended on June 3, 2014, and the Calder Cup was won on June 17--which might not be until about a week before the draft? Other candidates may get swooped up during that time. Or does he move forward without considering Blashill?

Guess it depends on who's on his list after Babcock. If Blashill is #2, I could see him waiting.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think Babcock has worn out his welcome in Detroit. He looked checked out in that TSN interview. Holland and Babcock kept it proffesional but Holland hinted and talked up Blashill for any Wings fans that are worried. Truth is, Wing fans aren't worried. I've talked to a few and they are looking forward to Blashill and they gave me the best reasoning. With the old core on their way out, Blashill knows the young guys very well. He has moulded them, he knows them better than Babcock does. He knows their strengths and weaknesses and can keep the Wings relevant for many more years by utilizing the success he's had with them in Grand Rapids.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If Babcock leaves Detroit for somewhere other than Buffalo, and the Wings promote Blashill, it's going to be Defcon 2 up in here again like it was in the first week of April. :laugh:

It probably will - especially when the prospect of Murray then lowering his standards to Richardson or DeBoer as his backup plan is as scary as it was when the Sabres were picking up points while Arizona wasn't.

Well if St. Louis wants to ditch Hitchcock, I'd be happy to take him.

I'm kind of on the fence with him - I can see both upside and downside to him coming in. But regardless, for all the mention that gets made of Armstrong and Hitchcock's long friendship going back to Dallas days, what does it say when Armstrong is openly pursuing Babcock as a possible replacement for Hitchcock while Hitchcock is still employed? Talk about a lack of respect. It's almost like Armstrong won't fire Hitchcock unless he can get Babcock.

I like the way Bylsma thinks through the game, and he's top 3 on my list, for sure.

I'd be fine with Bylsma.

I'd be a lot more content and confident with Bylsma than I would be with Richardson, DeBoer or Maclean. Like you all pointed out, Bylsma has the same single Cup win as Babcock and has experience working with franchise superstars. Plus, from the reports out of IIHF, his passion and energy seem to have had positive impression on Team USA. He's also the same age (41) as Blashill, which I think is a good age to be both a teacher/mentor and be someone who can relate to 18-22 year olds better.

After Blashill and Babcock, Bylsma is my 3rd choice. After that, it gets dicey IMO.

I don't think it's an issue of Holland allowing permission, assuming Babcock re-signs - I think it will be Blashill, who will be the one to defer any talks with interested teams until his team is done in the playoffs, out of respect to his players.

And I hope Murray does then wait to talk to him. Given how Murray outlined the distinctions between what a coach does and what a GM does, I don't think he's that anxious to get a coach before the draft because he probably isn't going to lean on his coach much for input on draft selections or trades.

Guess it depends on who's on his list after Babcock. If Blashill is #2, I could see him waiting.

If he fails to get Babcock, I really, really, really hope that Murray isn't forming a list strictly of former colleagues he's worked with or interviewed and is open-minded enough to see how highly regarded Blashill is (and accomplished at several leagues). I know it's important to him to have a good working relationship with his coach but I don't think he has to dig up past alliances to do that.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
After Blashill and Babcock, Bylsma is my 3rd choice. After that, it gets dicey IMO.

That's my top three, as well. I'd have McClellan somewhere in that mix, too, if it didn't seem like a foregone conclusion that he will be in Edmonton. I'd put Richardson outside my top 10...

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'd put Richardson outside my top 10...

Hiring Richardson is a lateral move to keeping Nolan IMO - and I suspect the heat Murray will get for dumping Nolan just to bring in an unproven coach will be pretty hot from the fans and Buffalo media. For all the respect the Sabres are hoping to gain with the pursuit of Babcock, the letdown of a Richardson hiring - even though we've all read about it since last summer - would be hugely deflating IMO.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Hiring Richardson is a lateral move to keeping Nolan IMO - and I suspect the heat Murray will get for dumping Nolan just to bring in an unproven coach will be pretty hot from the fans and Buffalo media. For all the respect the Sabres are hoping to gain with the pursuit of Babcock, the letdown of a Richardson hiring - even though we've all read about it since last summer - would be hugely deflating IMO.

How is it a lateral move? He's a very different coach, and thus should either be better or worse.

Karate Johnson*

Absolutely ridiculous.

Nolan started coaching 20 years ago, and has proven over those years that he isn't a quality NHL coach.

Richardson has never coached an NHL game.

It's absurd to compare him to Nolan. They are two guys at opposite ends of the coaching career spectrum.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

You honestly couldn't be more off with this.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm favoring Babcock for two reasons:

I trust team Canada's judgment, not to mention league wide reputation
It sends a message around the league

Aside from that, I think it's wicked hard for fans to evaluate coaches unless they're doing something obviously dumb. You certainly can't do it on wins and losses. But Babcock at least varies the comfort factor for me that we're definitely getting q good one, whether or not he's the best.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Assuming Babcock stays in Detroit or goes elsewhere, you move forward with your search. There are still several teams (Philly, San Jose, Toronto) that need head coaches. If Blashill isn't available to interview, you continue the process. Last thing you want to do is put everything on hold and h ave your next #1 get snapped up while waiting on Blashill.

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
I'm favoring Babcock for two reasons:

I trust team Canada's judgment, not to mention league wide reputation
It sends a message around the league

Aside from that, I think it's wicked hard for fans to evaluate coaches unless they're doing something obviously dumb. You certainly can't do it on wins and losses. But Babcock at least varies the comfort factor for me that we're definitely getting q good one, whether or not he's the best.

Good post. Many fans talk like they can evaluate coaches. We really can't. Babcock is sort of a no brainer but for the most part with fans it's name recognition not evaluation.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
How is it a lateral move? He's a very different coach, and thus should either be better or worse.

It's absurd to compare him to Nolan. They are two guys at opposite ends of the coaching career spectrum.

You honestly couldn't be more off with this.

In that I don't see Richardson having any more of a positive impact than Nolan did, the net impact in such a hiring would be zero IMO. That's what I meant as "lateral" move.

Spector has a reasonably objective take on things:

Babcock initiating talks with the Sharks suggests he’s keen to move on from the Red Wings. He also seems cool to the notion of signing with rebuilding clubs like the Leafs and Sabres. The Blues’ reported interest implies they’re ready to part ways with Hitchcock if a better option can be found. Given the list of suitors, I’d put the Sharks and Blues ahead of the Leafs and Sabres.

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/four-suitors-for-babcock-may-18-2015/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad