Speculation: 2015 Coaching Search: Who will be the next head coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Very solid hire from watching a lot of UND over the years. Had him at th very back of my mind for the Sabres, but it's so rare college coaches make the jump

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I have to wonder how much of Philly not wanting to interview babcock had to do with a young GM not wanting to have a coach who would have the ear of ownership.

Spending that amount of $ on a coach is a commitment to a coach which will likely outlast the commitment to a GM. if Babcock says that the defense is awful and needs to get fixed and the GM says the Defense is fine...who is the owner going to listen to?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@ByKevinAllen: Badger Bob Johnson went from Wisconsin to Calgary Flames in 1982. Before then, Ned Harkness had gone from Cornell to Detroit Red Wings in 70

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@ByKevinAllen: New Flyers coach Dave Hakstol is the fourth college coach to be hired as a NHL coach. The others: Harkness, Bob Johnson, Herb Brooks

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If he goes to the Sharks or blues I think he loses a little credibility. Neither of those teams are built to win long term. Blues have several key forwards in their early thirties and sharks are just in the "why not give it another kick" stage. I don't think either has an edge over Detroit.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I don't see why San Jose is an attractive option. No answer in net, not really sure how to evaluate their defense but its definitely better than DET, no prospect pool, aging stars in Thornton and Marleau - not to mention Pavelski is already 30.

Kinda seems like a similar situation to Detroit IMO.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I don't see why San Jose is an attractive option. No answer in net, not really sure how to evaluate their defense but its definitely better than DET, no prospect pool, aging stars in Thornton and Marleau - not to mention Pavelski is already 30.

Detroit does have goaltending options and I think their prospect pool is quite strong.

I'll give you a comparison between Thornton/Marleau and Datsyuk/Zetterberg, but I don't think the organizations are very similar otherwise.

And the difference in living conditions between the Bay Area and Detroit is a very stark contrast as well.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I think its a "Due Diligence" sort of thing more than anything.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I think its a "Due Diligence" sort of thing more than anything.

I agree. And I don't think Buffalo, Detroit or any other city should feel slighted by him doing so. Kinda like a UFA that has paid their dues.

If he ends up back in Detroit, they should feel comfortable that he took his time and still chose to stay with the Wings. If he just resigned, he could have doubts moving forward or "what ifs" in his head.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
This almost feels a bit like when LaFontaine interviewed a bunch of guys for the GM position. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing LaFontaine interviewed a bunch of guys from a lot of the organizations, to basically pick their brains. I think it was reported some teams were catching on to that fact, and we're getting upset with him. Many believed LaFontaine wanted to eventually be the GM, ala Yzerman.

With the Babcock interviews, we've heard that he isn't going to these places to sell himself, but to have them sell their team/organization/philosophies to him. Perhaps this is just one giant fact finding mission. He goes to the organizations, see's how they do things, maybe picks out some things he like's or never even thought of, then goes back to Detroit and Ken Holland and they move forward with perhaps some new knowledge/techniques?

Last edited:

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
This almost feels a bit like when LaFontaine interviewed a bunch of guys for the GM position. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing LaFontaine interviewed a bunch of guys from a lot of the organizations, to basically pick their brains. I think it was reported some teams were catching on to that fact, and we're getting upset with him. Many believed LaFontaine wanted to eventually be the GM, ala Yzerman.

With the Babcock interviews, we've heard that he isn't going to these places to have them sell their team/organization/philosophies to him. Perhaps this is just one giant fact finding mission. He goes to the organizations, see's how they do things, maybe picks out some things he like's or never even though of, then goes back to Detroit and Ken Holland and they move forward with perhaps some new knowledge/techniques?

I'm sure it's possible, but he'd never admit that. I'm confident that GMTM has backup plans though, in the event Babcock decides to stay in Detroit.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'm sure it's possible, but he'd never admit that. I'm confident that GMTM has backup plans though, in the event Babcock decides to stay in Detroit.

He sort of did in his interview with Dredger. He talked about how he learned a lot about himself and a lot about how other teams run things during this process. It may not be the sole reason he's interviewing with other teams, but it's certainly a part of it.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
He sort of did in his interview with Dredger. He talked about how he learned a lot about himself and a lot about how other teams run things during this process. It may not be the sole reason he's interviewing with other teams, but it's certainly a part of it.

Right, I mean he wouldn't come right out and say, I'm just gathering info on teams, had no thought of ever leaving Detroit anyway. That type of thing.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I think we get our answer today. My guess is Detroit.
The ultimate anticlimactic let down. I can see this happening, though.

I agree. To add to this, hasn't San Jose management been promising to make changes over the past few years, without ever following through. What happens if Babs signs on, the current roster still can't win, and the brass decides to do a tear down? isn't that the exact situation babcock doesn't want to sign on to? I don't see this being a fit no matter how you slice it.

Bps21*

They tried to make changes. They stripped leadership of their letters and wanted to move them...they held their no movement clauses and refused to go. So they gave them their letters back and they missed the playoffs. Just hilarious stuff.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I agree. And I don't think Buffalo, Detroit or any other city should feel slighted by him doing so. Kinda like a UFA that has paid their dues.

If he ends up back in Detroit, they should feel comfortable that he took his time and still chose to stay with the Wings. If he just resigned, he could have doubts moving forward or "what ifs" in his head.

I think if he ends up in Detroit making more money then the consensus will be Babcock is not doing this to check his options but using Buffalo to get more money from Detroit.

If that is the case then people should hate Babcock for using us for his own personal gain, not that you can prove it. I am sure the sabres organization would not be happy if Babcock never had any intention of singing here but just used Pegula's time, resources and money.(yes yes, everyone has the right to do the best for themselves, blah) We will find out if Detroit gives Babcock more money now then a few months ago.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I think if he ends up in Detroit making more money then the consensus will be Babcock is not doing this to check his options but using Buffalo to get more money from Detroit.

If that is the case then people should hate Babcock for using us for his own personal gain, not that you can prove it. I am sure the sabres organization would not be happy if Babcock never had any intention of singing here but just used Pegula's time, resources and money.(yes yes, everyone has the right to do the best for themselves, blah) We will find out if Detroit gives Babcock more money now then a few months ago.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad