2015-16 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) & Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) l Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Geertsen isn't going to play with the Rampage, he should go down. I have only seen a couple Rampage games this year (only one with Geertsen), but Geertsen looked overmatched mentally to me. Could have just been a bad game, but his pacing wasn't there yet.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I really wish Geertsen wasn't somehow in Chenowyth's doghouse. How is he supposed to develop if he's getting scratched a lot, or playing as a forward? Nate even thought that if Redmond wasn't up with the Avs right now that he would be in Fort Wayne...I mean, he's not been bad enough to deserve a demotion, has he?

He's not in the doghouse, I wouldn't put it that way. And no he hasn't been bad, I think he's been much more solid than he gets credit for. It's a numbers game and when you have to commit playing Zadorov and Bigras half the game each there just isn't much time left. I know, put the talent together but no coach is going to roll out a 20 year old pairing. They tried Geertsen with Zadorov once and it was a little too wild. Dean even said the other day they have time with Geertsen and it's pretty clear to me the mandate is that Rantanen, Zadorov and Bigras have to get ready and will be given the minutes. They only have one extra player right now so sending anyone down really isn't an option.

Btw, tidbit on the broadcast. Footer loves Bigras. Can't find much to criticize on tape with him.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
SEPH. I'm having a hard time swallowing that chill pill after that first period!

The concept you're still not getting is that the AHL is a development league. The San Antonio Rampage are a development team for the Colorado Avalanche. I understand that fans want to see those teams win, trust me I know, I am big into the WHL and I have to see teams constantly rebuild. Those junior teams themselves develop players for the higher leagues. But Zadorov was sent down to develop his game more (because it is a development league). Anyone who has watched him since his first time around in the World Junior Championships, knew he needed more time to understand/learn the defensive aspects of the game. I "underlined" the key terminology in this post for you.

hockeymm

Dec 27, 2014
The concept you're still not getting is that the AHL is a development league. The San Antonio Rampage are a development team for the Colorado Avalanche. I understand that fans want to see those teams win, trust me I know, I am big into the WHL and I have to see teams constantly rebuild. Those junior teams themselves develop players for the higher leagues. But Zadorov was sent down to develop his game more (because it is a development league). Anyone who has watched him since his first time around in the World Junior Championships, knew he needed more time to understand/learn the defensive aspects of the game. I "underlined" the key terminology in this post for you.

Believe me I get it. I guess what gets my goat is all the hype and I don't think it is deserved at this point. Obviously the Avs missed the fact that he needed development when they thought he was going to solve their defensive woes. All the prospects should be developed not just select favorites. Like I said when I started it was just a rant. I am hard on the defensemen because my thought process has always been defense first. Obviously we all see the game differently. I see tweets or posts where some think it's a good game and I think it's sloppy. Or that a player is playing well and I don't think they are. To each his own. It was just a rant!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's not favoritism, it's about getting guys ready who will be in the NHL sooner. Favoritism is when the vets get to play all the time and little time for the kids. Its obvious they were told by the Avs that Zadorov, Bigras and Rantanen had to get a lot of ice time. That's better than Bruno Gervais being the captain and the worst defenseman on the team but was given scratch immunity, that's when it gets absurd. The fact that Dean has to play some of these kids a lot is refreshing.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
OK so here we go with the recap, only half-ass recaps for AHL contract/no NHL future guys.

Bigras: Very good game from him. He isn't like Zadorov who defends with his body, he defends with tremendous stick-work and positioning. It's ROR-esque. He stick lifts people and strips them of the puck and gets it to a forward so well. He did that seriously like 9 times tonight. Also solid with the puck. Had a nice rush and make good passes and decisions in all zones. Was caught out of position on a stretch pass, like a lot of the defenders were. But all in all, great defensive game with solid offensive instincts. Separating the man from the puck without taking himself out of play is a strength he possesses.

Geertsen: Up and down game for him. Had some really nice plays, and some head scratchers. Got beat by some stretch passes and made some really dumb passes. Left his guy open a few times in the D zone where they generated chances. But, he also displayed patience with the puck when pressured and put a bomb of a shot on net. He also has a good stick like Bigras and breaks up passes and tips shots out of play. Not a very good game from him, but wasn't terrible.

Zadorov: About a B game from him. Had a rush at the end of the first where he skated through a couple people and just missed. Loves to shoot and rip one timers. Broke up a 2 on 1 really nicely. Good offensive and defensive game from him I thought. Although he did leave his guy and he got open a couple times tonight. Seriously every defender got beat a stretch pass at one point. If they can reel him in a little bit, he wouldn't have like any problems with his game. When he goes full on loose cannon is when he sketches me out. It's almost like he plays too relaxed and sometimes it works beautifully, sometimes he gets stripped of the puck in front of the net. His skating though. Wow. Moves so well for being so big.

Bourke: Man this kid needs a call-up. Plays such an effective bottom 6 style. Backchecks like his life is depending on it and has such an active stick. Not afraid to block shots as he did tonight. Finishes his checks and lets his body take a beating for a little guy. Made a really nice pass to someone cutting back door. His WHL domination has translated a little bit as his offense is definitely there. Played with Cheek for the most part.

Siemens: Pretty solid game overall. Same thing as the last Dmen. Left his spot and his guy open a couple times, but very good physical game. Starting to show more patience with the puck and tried leading the rush out of the zone. Worked a couple times. Guy takes no s*** from anyone and I love it. Walked out of the game with an ice pack tied to his right hand I believe. Blocking shots like a mad man out there. Him and Noreau work so well together and was the most consistent pair.

Schumacher: Might have been their best forward tonight. Forechecked like a hound and was parked in front of the net. Very effective down low and cycle game. Nice hand eye coordination as evidenced by his goal. Played with Smith and Rendulic all night and didn't look out of place.

Cliche: He seriously is a decent AHL player as much crap as he gets in an Avs uni. Plays hard, blocks shots, backchecks, takes hits. Played with Agozzino and Hishon tonight.

Noreau: The way he gets open in the offensive zone is incredible. As soon as he moves the puck he gets open and wants it back. Very confident when he has the puck on his stick, as he should be. Very skilled offensively. Not too shabby on D though, but does get occasionally manhandled. I can hear him yelling from the stands and communicating with the players. Really hope he comes back, doubtful though. Such a wizard on the PP with his passing and vision.

Agozzino: Pretty good game for him also. Got some PK time and had chances on it. Such a quick skater and pretty elusive. Didn't dominate like i thought he would, but still a good game. Wish he would be given a legit shot with legit linemates at the NHL level. You're telling McLeod is doing better in the top 6 than he would Roy?

Meurs: Played maybe 5 minutes but was noticeable with his physicality.

Smith: As Robert de Niro once said to Ben Stiller, I'm everywhere Focker. This absolutely applies to him. Skates his ass off on offense and defense and was generating chances and stopping chances with his backchecking. Has such nice hands and vision and constantly put passes on the tape for people to get a good shot off. Tries very hard on D, but like Hishon and Noreau, get outmuscled because of their size.

Hishon: Boxscore will show he had 4 shots, but he didn't do much else. Had a couple good chances with those shots though. Has some nice patience with the puck and doesn't panic, a definite calmness to his play. Would like for him to be more active in the D zone though.

Cheek: Dude does not care what happens to his body. Blocks shots, throws hits, takes hits. Very good bottom 6 AHLer. Very active in the D zone and has good defensive skills. Sometimes tries to do too much with the puck, although he does have a good shot. Got a good amount of PK time.

Henley: Played with Labrie a lot. Not too bad in the faceoff circle, but would have liked a couple more wins from him. I do see a potential 4C in him with his work ethic and defensive mindset. Did not play much but saw second unit PK time.

Clark: As much as he gets ripped on, I thought he was pretty decent tonight. Absolutely wrecked Dowell along the boards and he followed him around until he fought him. Made a couple nice little passes to a forward streaking out of the zone. Did have a couple lapses with the puck though. Handling the puck is not his cup of tea.

Labrie: Played forward tonight. Actually looked better at forward lol. Hit everything in sight with no regard to his health. Played about 7 minutes maybe.

Bordeleau: People might not believe this, but he had a really good game. But wow is he soooo slowwww. Didn't try to be a hero like I thought he would with the puck. Makes good plays along the wall to hit the center coming out of the zone. Plays a simple game and throws the puck on net.

Rendulic: Really good game from him. His penalty was so weak. Hope his offense and confidence translates to the NHL someday. Such slick hands and vision. Thought he was going to get demolished a couple times but has great vision. His skating is so quick too, nice long strides and quick feet. Carries the puck like its nothing. Can enter the zone very effectively.

Pickard: Seemed like he was fighting the puck early, but confidence grew as the game went on. His stance is so weird to me, its like he's not taking up a lot of space and relies on reflexes. Would probably want that first goal back as Morin kind of fanned on the shot. Nothing he could have done on the 2nd and 3rd though. Bickell was in the way and screened him perfectly on the 2nd.

To be honest I got super tired as the recap went on and got lazy. Ask me any questions about players/the game in general and I'll answer tomorrow morning before family time.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, literally woke me up. I met Rantanen who I ran into on the concourse getting food which is awesome because I don't live in SA or Denver and have the privilege to meet players. But he said he hopes to be back this weekend. Had a soft cast on.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, literally woke me up. I met Rantanen who I ran into on the concourse getting food which is awesome because I don't live in SA or Denver and have the privilege to meet players. But he said he hopes to be back this weekend. Had a soft cast on.

Thanks for the recap, I'm going to savor it! That's so neat you met Rantanen, very cool experience. Was he surprised you recognized him?

Sounds like you liked most everyone. I thought they played pretty good and Rockford is a tough opponent. They are missing something without Rantanen though. Don't want to make it sound like he just goes out there and scores at will but he's a difference maker. He does something good every shift, he draws at least one penalty a night, makes space for guys, sets guys up beautifully. Hope he's back soon, sounds like he should be. I think it happened vs Ontario, someone tripped him and he went down hard but he finished the game.

Anyway, I think Agozzino has been a bit off since coming back from injury. Maybe he rushed, he's still good and got some points but he's not the force like he usually has been.

I'll ask you this since you were impressed with Bigras, how long do you think he needs until he can play in the NHL? Like not better than Guenin, which I'm sure he is now but ready ready.

Last edited:

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Thanks for the recap, I'm going to savor it! That's so neat you met Rantanen, very cool experience. Was he surprised you recognized him?

Sounds like you liked most everyone. I thought they played pretty good and Rockford is a tough opponent. They are missing something without Rantanen though. Don't want to make it sound like he just goes out there and scores at will but he's a difference maker. He does something good every shift, he draws at least one penalty a night, makes space for guys, sets guys up beautifully. Hope he's back soon, sounds like he should be. I think it happened vs Ontario, someone tripped him and he went down hard but he finished the game.

Anyway, I think Agozzino has been a bit off since coming back from injury. Maybe he rushed, he's still good and got some points but he's not the force like he usually has been.

I'll ask you this since you were impressed with Bigras, how long do you think he needs until he can play in the NHL? Like not better than Guenin, which I'm sure he is now but ready ready.

Yes Rantanen was sort of thrown off by my Avs hat and me recognizing him. Also met Zadorov who straight towered over me and I'm not that small. On Bigras, I think he should stay down the rest of the year. He plays in every situation for them and gets good ice time. I think next year would be better for him to make the team and he should be ready then.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yes Rantanen was sort of thrown off by my Avs hat and me recognizing him. Also met Zadorov who straight towered over me and I'm not that small. On Bigras, I think he should stay down the rest of the year. He plays in every situation for them and gets good ice time. I think next year would be better for him to make the team and he should be ready then.

Having not seen Bigras at all in the AHL I'm in agreement with you. The Avs are a complete mess right now, I'd rather he develop in the AHL and really build that confidence and come up next year, than get thrown around this year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Even better, that would be a lot of fun to meet those two. Thanks again for the recap!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Having not seen Bigras at all in the AHL I'm in agreement with you. The Avs are a complete mess right now, I'd rather he develop in the AHL and really build that confidence and come up next year, than get thrown around this year.

The AHL is a nice safe place for him, true, but is safe what he really needs right now? The Avs season is shot already, why not give him a chance in the big leagues now to find his way at a higher level so he'll be more game-ready next season when we need him? It can't possibly be any worse than what we have now.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
The AHL is a nice safe place for him, true, but is safe what he really needs right now? The Avs season is shot already, why not give him a chance in the big leagues now to find his way at a higher level so he'll be more game-ready next season when we need him? It can't possibly be any worse than what we have now.

I've seen this around HF and I don't get it. What matter is what's best for the players development. We're used to Landeskog, Duchene, Mackinnon and O'Reilly coming in and playing well. Starting in the AHL and back and fourth movement from the AHL to the big leagues has helped a tremendous amount of players including our very own Tyson Barrie. I want Z and Bigras in the AHL being the top two guys this whole year. With prospects it's a marathon, not a sprint. Rants can get brought up when he has enough games left not to burn down a year on his ELC :nod:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I've seen this around HF and I don't get it. What matter is what's best for the players development. We're used to Landeskog, Duchene, Mackinnon and O'Reilly coming in and playing well. Starting in the AHL and back and fourth movement from the AHL to the big leagues has helped a tremendous amount of players including our very own Tyson Barrie. I want Z and Bigras in the AHL being the top two guys this whole year. With prospects it's a marathon, not a sprint. Rants can get brought up when he has enough games left not to burn down a year on his ELC :nod:

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand. Bigras has never played in the NHL to my knowledge, it sounds like you're saying that a call-up is exactly what he needs. Going back and forth the way Barrie did is exactly the opposite of what he'll be doing if he's in the AHL all year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Who would he replace right now though? We know Bigras wouldn't see much action at all. He's really the one person I want to see called up the most but I want him to get a real taste too so it's tough. I hope he does at some point this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad