2015-16 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) & Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) l Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Continue from here

Relevant big changes: Moving AHL Affiliations to San Antonio! Let's make sure we welcome those Rampage fans kindly!

(and yes, went ahead and posted it as "2015-16" because LE is done, but we can obviously still discuss FW and their playoffs here, I believe we have Meurs, Will, and Heard all down with them)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm excited that the team is moving to San Antonio. Pretty sure they have great jumobotron cams. Especially when compared to the Lake Erie ones. That Rampage Nate guy seems like a great resource to have for Avalanche prospect information. Just have to hope Zanon is told to hit the road again :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm excited that the team is moving to San Antonio. Pretty sure they have great jumobotron cams. Especially when compared to the Lake Erie ones. That Rampage Nate guy seems like a great resource to have for Avalanche prospect information. Just have to hope Zanon is told to hit the road again :laugh:

Agreed. I follow him on twitter and he provides a lot of information. Also seems to care about the team so that's good. Only unfortunate part is that he's a Wings fan. :shakehead

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Agreed. I follow him on twitter and he provides a lot of information. Also seems to care about the team so that's good. Only unfortunate part is that he's a Wings fan. :shakehead

Ehh...no one is perfect :)sarcasm: Nate!)

I actually think we're going to very quickly come to appreciate what he has to offer in terms of coverage of our AHL prospects. Another way to put it--if/when he starts raving about certain prospects (possible Geertsen, Bigras, etc) then I think we can feel good about that, because I'm sure on some level it's going to sting for a Red Wings fan to type that out.

More and more each day I feel really good about this partnership!

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
So has it been confirmed that Dean will be the head coach again next year?

Here's an interesting thought (or maybe it's not, I don't know):

The Chynoweth paragraph is present in the news release issued by the Rampage, but the Avs release makes no mention of him at all. Maybe it's just assumed on our end that he will be the coach?

I don't know...just trying to provide some positivity here.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Guys, I'm right here...you know I can hear you, right?

Excited to have another voice to keep us informed as our beat writers leave a bit to be desired.

Thankfully the Red Wing - Av rivalry is much less relevant though. I'd probably have blocked you out of principle back in the day. :laugh:

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
what are the guys with AHL contract in San Antonio now likely to be kept when the move is done? people always only talk about former Avs MVP Zanon but and the others?

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
what are the guys with AHL contract in San Antonio now likely to be kept when the move is done? people always only talk about former Avs MVP Zanon but and the others?

Only AHL contracted guys on the team are Mark Mancari, Wade Megan, and Tony Turgeon.

I'd love if the first two were to stay, but ultimately, it's all about what the Avs want. Mancari can probably get a lot more money in Europe and I wouldn't be surprised to see Megan follow the Panthers.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just bought a crap load of IceCaps stuff since all the staff had first crack at it before they sell it off to the public. I bought 2 CCM Tacks sticks, a pair of gloves, a leather hockey bag, a pair of reebok jogging pants, warrior shorts, reebok golf shirt and two reebok undershirts (like the ones Landy/Talbot were always seen wearing after games. All the clothing/hockey bag has the IceCaps logo printed on it. Grand total $280. I cant wait until Geoff Molson is paying me :laugh:

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Only AHL contracted guys on the team are Mark Mancari, Wade Megan, and Tony Turgeon.

I'd love if the first two were to stay, but ultimately, it's all about what the Avs want. Mancari can probably get a lot more money in Europe and I wouldn't be surprised to see Megan follow the Panthers.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois

Just checked out Mark Mancari's profile and the guy has some serious size. Plus he's a RW, something the Avs lack at the AHL/prospect level. I would be fine handing him an NHL contract for depth, AHL vet experience. Would make a great Vincour replacement and a good top 6 RW, even though Vincour seemed to catch on at the end of the year.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

actually, Nate, those three are expiring contracts and Florida has first right to that, because Mancari especially has played in Portland, you're forgetting the other end of that switch.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Here's an interesting thought (or maybe it's not, I don't know):

The Chynoweth paragraph is present in the news release issued by the Rampage, but the Avs release makes no mention of him at all. Maybe it's just assumed on our end that he will be the coach?

I don't know...just trying to provide some positivity here.

It feels dirty to say to a wings fan, but for both our sakes, I hope there's something to that.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
actually, Nate, those three are expiring contracts and Florida has first right to that, because Mancari especially has played in Portland, you're forgetting the other end of that switch.

You're right, they are expiring AHL contracts with the Rampage. And IIRC, that means Florida has no such "first rights". Regardless, I don't see Florida giving any of those three getting an NHL deal with Florida, so why would those 3 guys not go to free agency to try to get one with another NHL team?

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
You're right, they are expiring AHL contracts with the Rampage. And IIRC, that means Florida has no such "first rights". Regardless, I don't see Florida giving any of those three getting an NHL deal with Florida, so why would those 3 guys not go to free agency to try to get one with another NHL team?

Hey RampageNate, any chance or do you know if Mancari wants to stay in San Antonio? He looks like he could be a good vet for some of the young guys we have in the AHL. Roy and Co. have done a good job finding vets for us like Noreau, Street, Clark, etc. What you might not know is that the Avs are weak in the prospects pool and AHL level at RW so that's why he is an intriguing player to me.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Komets won 6-4 last night so they win their series in 5 games. Heard had a goal and an assist. He's a big boost for an already strong team. Will continues to start. They have a good shot to go really far but if they play Toledo next it's going to be a real battle. Wings ECHL team has been tough all year. Get past them I think the Komets could take it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Ok, y'all know I couldn't not watch the last game even if it was a week later. :laugh: May as well do this one last time and put a final post-mortem on the Lake Erie Monsters as we knew them.

As mentioned in the previous thread, Monsters won this one 4-3 in a SO vs Hamilton. Hishon scored the lone tally in the SO and Picks didn't let one in. Oddly enough this was the only SO Hamilton participated in all season. Goals for were Corbett (so nice to see him get some offense going late in the season), Elliott (what else, PP wrister) and Hamilton (much needed offensive spark even if only for the last few games of the season).

This was a good one to go out on. Someone had an epiphany and put in probably the best lineup they had all season. Gervais was finally scratched (!) and the result was sensible defensive pairings up and down the lineup. Bigras-Clark, Geertsen-Elliott, Siemens-Corbett. For the first time it felt like they were finally getting at the trickled down vision from the Avs that Roy has for the defense; offensive paired with defensive and all can skate and move the puck. The result was a fantastic pace, puck movement and transition game. The Geertsen-Elliott combo was the most interesting. For the first time Geertsen got to spend more than 3 consecutive seconds in the offensive zone since he wasn't tied to Gervais all night and he had an impressive game, generated 3 SOG and combined with Elliott to create several sustained possessions in which the Hamilton announcers remarked looked like a PP. It was also nice to continue to see the Avs vision for Bigras to use his offensive tools and pair him with a defensive minded partner. Bigras was used in all situations again; PP, PK, in OT on the 4v4 as well as the 3v3. His skating the puck up in transition is a thing of beauty and he's an excellent passer, quick and he loves these quick little deceptive side passes right at the blue line. He's really settled in after several games. It was also nice to see Siemens doing the heavy lifting on a pair and allowing Corbett the freedom to generate more offense. Siemens has also been shooting more lately and generally being more involved in the play. Collectively this was a young backend for this game and the defensive part of their games is still a work in progress but it was so refreshing to see what the defense should (will?) look like next season and the potential they bring to the table.

It was nice to have Hamilton and Hishon back as they combined to give the Monsters a real second line since the Agozzino-Street-Petryk line has been carrying the offense for at least a solid month. The only disappointment was scratching Bourke after yet another solid game but I understand several guys were probably in for their last hurrah. Petryk really deserves some credit for coming in from the ECHL and being a mainstay on the top line in short order. His stat sheet may not look impressive but he's part of the reason why that line has worked so well and Agozzino has gone on the tear he has is because Petryk does the dirty work for that line, going to the tough areas, going to the net and screening the goalie, creating room for Agozzino and Street to do their thing. Would be a major disappointment if he's not back. I know Dean is in love with him so probably not a worry. Kenny Ryan is another the Avs have to find a way to keep. He was a beast on the PK (scored 3 shorties) and was one of the best defensive forwards the entire season, always played hard and tough. I'd rather have those two guys around over at least half the roster at forward.

One hopefully encouraging thing with Gervais finally sitting one out is they gave an extra A to Clark. Street took the opening faceoff. I'd be happy with any of Street, Agozzino and Clark as captain next season. Noreau should be back and get his A back as well. Pickard was rock solid especially in the second half of the season, he deserves a lot of credit for his performance of becoming a difference maker in goal for the team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Also wanted to touch on a few final nail in the coffin things on the Monsters season. With the final win the Monsters actually ended up 9th in the conference, just 5 points shy of a playoff spot at 82 points. This was an improvement over last season's tally of 75 points. A lot of AHL teams seem to take wild swings from year to year but with the Avs placing a lot of prospects on their farm team an incremental improvement is a good thing I suppose.

A few other stats comparing this season with the previous; PP improved from 20th to 11th, PK from 15th to 14th (with league leading 15 SHG), PIMs down from 5th to 22nd (part of that is getting out of the goon division but they were more disciplined overall as well). While goals for were up from 197 to 211 goals against were up as well from 232 to 240 leading to yet another atrocious goal differential. Some of it is due to a fondness of following the Roy playbook and pulling the goalie really early and not minding giving up 2 ENG at times but with Pickard really emerging in net and some more talent on defense (even if young talent) that needs to improve to get the new Rampage to the playoffs. Individually, Agozzino ended up 7th in league scoring with 64 points and 30 goals.

Points leaders for the team were:
Agozzino 64 points (in 74 games)
Elliott 40 (in 64)
Street 39 (in 44)
Hishon 36 (in 53)
Smith 31 (in 53)

Elliott lead by far in PP goals with 13, Agozzino generated 252 shots, Street generated 172 shots in only 44 games (his shooting % ended up at 5%), we know who shot 100%, which of course would be Reto Berra.

Not giving up early 2 goal holes, finding some more consistent scoring and learning how to maintain late leads should be the goals for next season. If they truly commit to a lineup that allows pace and control over the game they can overcome some continued deficiencies in raw skill with speed and offensive ability and puck movement from the backend plus a rather decent forechek and solid goaltending I can see things continue to improve in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad